MacBook Pro with the M1 processor

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
50756311587_c2e686676c.jpg

Opening it up tomorrow.

Forgot how small these things were.

This weekend it will be accessory buying time. I need a case so I can sticker bomb the hell out of this thing.

49938225862_15ca603984.jpg

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
AIEEEEEE!!!!!!! Aw, please don't crap up your lovely new machine with a bunch of stickers plastered all over it! UGH!!!! Steve would NOT approve!!!!
Steve might not have approved, but the crowd that helped make Apple computers popular would.

I don't want ANOTHER in an endless line of same old same old that everyone else has. You buy a case for your expensive investment, so it just looks like another nameless machine, then... you find that Apple sticker that came in the box! Suddenly your encased investment is an Apple computer again, but it's just another one... Why stop there? :greenthumb: You have this case on it, protecting your investment, no stickers on it, but on the case? Ooooooh ho ho!

It's time to make yo' shit, yo' shit!! 🎉 🤣

40067168323_e74d68a018.jpg

My old iPad Pro case until the edges holding the iPP in cracked & broke off, and I moved to the Apple Keyboard cases.

...and I got a whole drawer of my shit, to make MY shit MINE! 😍
50758945607_3888dbcee5.jpg

On the random chance I ever have to fool someone I'm a professional, I've just pulled the case off temporarily and no one is the wiser. Suckers!

The fact that now iTunes cards are colorful Apple stickers, just reinforces my joy!
50758095388_48979a1d1a.jpg

Woo Hoo!! 🥳

What is wrong with you? Nobody has that kind of self control. Seek help.
All in the effort to maintain the excitement of opening really cool stuff ON Christmas day.

After years of getting socks, shirts, and other boring practical stuff on Christmas day to open, I've learned to save that thing you're really excited about for the day itself. 😁

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
We were traveling, a road trip that added up to eight thousand miles and some fifty motel rooms. At some point, I looked around the room that we were checking out of and saw that I was about to forget my iPad mini, lying almost unnoticeable on the nightstand in its black case. That is when I decided to stop at a nearby Blicks to get an acrylic paint set to use on the case.

5B69B079-8AB5-4ACE-8CB9-4EA5D07B3064.jpeg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I have occasionally misplaced an iPad mini too by setting it somewhere without its red cover.

Back in the day of white iPods, I daydreamed about shipping one off to ColorWare, the outfit that used to paint them one of dozens of colors offered. "Taxi Yellow" would have been my choice about November in the grey of the Northeast, and in fact when the XR iPhone came out I was pedal to the metal to order the yellow one. Not taxi yellow but sunflower or something, anyway it's still my favorite.

Back in 2017 ColorWare expanded its menu, offering to paint Apple earpods and cases.

Mind you all that comes at a hefty premium. Your idea for your iPad mini was definitely more practical!

lizkat

Reaction score
AIEEEEEE!!!!!!! Aw, please don't crap up your lovely new machine with a bunch of stickers plastered all over it! UGH!!!! Steve would NOT approve!!!!

Steve wouldn't have approved of the language I used when grabbing the wrong one of a matched pair of mid-2012 MacBook Pros either. Finally resorted to putting a row of the smallest Apple stickers on one of them. Problem solved.

I admit the unadorned 2020 MacBook Air looks pretty classy just as it came from the box. Still I have admired the panache that a few of my younger kinfolk have lent to their laptops with a slew of stickers. "Nothing is sacred if it's going to be toast in a couple years anyway" is how one of them put it.

Anyway one of them reminded me that I used to decorate my older iPods with assorted iSkin decal-type offerings and switch them up once in a while. Those things even came with matching skins for the clickwheels.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Much to my surprise today when I went on the apple.com Apple store website, the 13" M1 MBP with 1 TB SSD and 16 GB RAM was actually available, really and truly in the local store's inventory!!! WOW!! After I got over my initial surprise and shock I promptly ordered one, and about an hour and a half later it arrived, courtesy of Apple's local courier service!!! I promptly unboxed it but haven't actually taken off the protective plastic on the machine itself, as I wasn't ready to set her up yet. Had a few things to do this afternoon and evening so tomorrow will be the time for playing with the newest member of the family. In the meantime, she's sitting in her box and I smile at her as I walk by..... Such fun to have a new machine in the house!

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I am loving my new machine but am still in the process of setting everything up and making a few new discoveries along the way..... at the time Big Sur was released I remember seeing mention of the wonderful Apple Chime once again being part of the boot up process but didn't hear it on either of my older machines and kind of forgot about it, or vaguely thought maybe it was only on the new M1 machines. So today at some point it occurs to me that, hey, I didn't hear the boot up chime on this new machine.... After much experimentation and rebooting of the 2018 machine and getting nowhere, then listening to the new machine as she booted up, I finally heard it.....kinda/sorta. In the old days I could hear the boot up chime on my machines without my hearing aids, no problem. Not so these days! I can only hear it faintly on the new machine and have yet to hear it on the older one without my aids, but of course with the aids I do hear it on both machines. I am guessing that either Apple has done something with controlling the volume on their machines now and/or they have changed the pitch of the chime sound so that it happens to fall in a range which is not optimal for me without amplification through my sound processors. Whatever. I'm just happy that they've brought back the chime, even if I won't always be able to hear it!

I am also still becoming accustomed to using Touch ID on this new machine, and I thought that this would mean that I wouldn't need to type in my password each and every time when the machine first boots up? Somehow that isn't the case so I'm still trying to tinker with settings, in case I have overlooked something. I don't want to give up Touch ID because I do like the idea of having Apple Pay readily available on this machine. I think now, though, I will not bother setting it up and not use it on my older 2018 machine. That machine goes right to my desktop without needing me to log in first and I am spoiled by that.

This machine is gorgeous! Love the screen -- beautiful, bright colors -- and love the keyboard, which is much nicer than the one on my 12" MacBook, and of course I love how speedy this thing is. She IS fast -- not sure yet if she's as fast as her big sister, the 15" 2018with the i9 and 32 GB of RAM, but she sure seems to be coming pretty darned close, and that's amazing.

Sheesh, the desktop wallpaper for Big Sur is UGLY!!! GARISH!!!! When I installed Big Sur on my two older machines I barely caught a glimpse of the default wallpaper because my own wallpaper immediately went into position as always. Now with this new machine, until I get the folder with some of my photos that I use for wallpaper and screen savers hastily installed in here, I'm stuck with the default wallpaper. Good motivation to install my photos tonight so I can set up my desktop and screen savers as I prefer to see them!

Oh, and speaking of stickers, as we were.....so happy to see the cute little Space Grey Apple stickers which accompanied my new machine! At the moment they're with my ever-growing collection of Apple stickers but at some point they may find a home -- not necessarily on an Apple product but somewhere else! I used to have a rainbow Apple logo sticker on my Acura, as well as a white Apple logo sticker, but with the new car I haven't found a good place for stickers yet. The bumper is very different than on my old car.

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
Now with this new machine, until I get the folder with some of my photos that I use for wallpaper and screen savers hastily installed in here, I'm stuck with the default wallpaper. Good motivation to install my photos tonight so I can set up my desktop and screen savers as I prefer to see them!

Hah, I remember setting up one laptop and not even waiting to bring over wallpapers and photos, went straight to a browser and started clipping out little something-or-others to stick in the center of a plain background. How I ended up with this thing for instance, some coffee cans used as planters on a patio!

coffee coffee coffee planters.jpg

I was desperate. I would have pasted up a clip of a jar of salsa. Can't remember which OS had wallpapers that grossed me out so much but your note made laugh to remember it.

lizkat

Reaction score
Yeah, not too sure about that idea. Every time you quit an app, you want chips or something. Not so good for the waistline.

Hmm. So that's how that happened. I did have a clip of a jar of Ortega on one of my desktop spaces for awhile. o_O:love:

Sorry to derail this thread. Imma stop now: THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT desktop wallpapers, nor my weight either.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Still tinkering with various setup things.....at least I've now got my own beloved desktop wallpaper and screen savers in place! Whew.... Makes a HUGE difference and makes me feel more at home with the machine, too, since now her desktop wallpaper looks like the others....

Got my wonderful Forecast Bar app installed now, too, so I can at a glance see what the temperature is, and with a click check out the upcoming weather predictions.

It's a whole new adventure, setting up a machine now, since a lot of things have changed since I last did this!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Actually, it doesn't look like I'll be able to get it scheduled before 2021, the new scheduler on Apple.com only shows a week at a time, and it's constantly booked up.

Woohoo! Looks like appointments are starting to open up. I specifically avoided a few available weekend spots, but I'll start checking this early/late to get the old MBP in for the <whatever_happens> appointment.

We were gone a couple of days last week, and my paranoia got the best of me, so I stick it in the small recycle tub kind of in an isolated area in the garage, er, in case it exploded ... o_O

Top Bottom
1 2