Meta's "Twitter killer" app Threads is on its way – and you can get a cheat code to download it

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I see, I thought you meant it was literally making you follow people. Yeah, there's no rhyme or reason to their algorithm as of yet, it's a lot like Twitter in the sense that it appears to just be giving a chronological feed but most of the content I'm seeing is from those I've chosen to follow.
Well unless I mute accounts, I don't actually see a way of unfollowing these random accounts, so I'd say they are making me follow them?

To be fair, I wasn't an active twitter user, so maybe it's exactly the same. 🤷🏼‍♀️

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I just signed up to make sure I have claim to the same ID(s) I have on instagram. Set the account to private and will wait for the dust to settle. I feel that things will take a few rev's before it starts to take hold. One thing I am waiting for is the Right leaning audience to start complaining how leftist it is, and that their hate filled speech is being censored. I am sure it has already started, but I am not looking... Yet.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Well unless I mute accounts, I don't actually see a way of unfollowing these random accounts, so I'd say they are making me follow them?

To be fair, I wasn't an active twitter user, so maybe it's exactly the same. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I am referring to actual follows, have you chosen to follow anyone yet? I have found that I'm getting most of my content from those people, short of that I'm guessing the app will generate content but have no idea what they base it on.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I just signed up to make sure I have claim to the same ID(s) I have on instagram. Set the account to private and will wait for the dust to settle. I feel that things will take a few rev's before it starts to take hold. One thing I am waiting for is the Right leaning audience to start complaining how leftist it is, and that their hate filled speech is being censored. I am sure it has already started, but I am not looking... Yet.
My hope is that they won't tolerate hate speech on this platform, we've lost all sense of decency on the internet and I'll welcome moderation.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I am referring to actual follows, have you chosen to follow anyone yet? I have found that I'm getting most of my content from those people, short of that I'm guessing the app will generate content but have no idea what they base it on.
Oh. Well see, I guess that was the problem. When I downloaded the app, I think the servers were too busy because I did opt to import my followers, but it glitched out and I didn't realize it. I redid that step and now I'm seeing content from people I recognize. So thanks. 🙂

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah there's still a place for it and I hope it remains a player. The biggest advantage Threads has is user acquisition, giving their IG base of 1 billion people the ability to seamlessly join with a couple of taps.

The good news is that, before too long, you will be able to follow those people on threads from your mastodon account, as long as your mastodon instance hasn’t defederated from threads (a lot of them are doing so, which I think is a big mistake).

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
i wish there was a desktop version. i hate typing on my phone. i even post to IG from my computer, not the phone.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The good news is that, before too long, you will be able to follow those people on threads from your mastodon account, as long as your mastodon instance hasn’t defederated from threads (a lot of them are doing so, which I think is a big mistake).
A lot of people have been looking for a viable alternative to Twitter and while Mastodon is a decent platform it has to grow from a grass roots level. I've been on it for months and have 24 followers, I set Threads up and got over 300 in 12 hours, it's really hard to compete against something like that.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is fun: you can’t delete your Threads profile without also deleting your instagram account.

Reminds me of how you couldn't use an Oculus without a Facebook account. Don't know if that's still the case but that was enough to make it a hard pass for me.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Reminds me of how you couldn't use an Oculus without a Facebook account. Don't know if that's still the case but that was enough to make it a hard pass for me.
This was the number one reason I refused to get an Oculus, I think they've since changed it though.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
BTW, awesome. I suspect advertisers are going to feel more comfortable on this platform as well.

d03cjhpu6dab1.jpg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
“74 million citizens” 🤣. Fuckin thing just started.
I think he's referring to those who voted for Trump. One could conversely say that the 80+ million who voted for Biden are being treated like first class citizens.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think he's referring to those who voted for Trump. One could conversely say that the 80+ million who voted for Biden are being treated like first class citizens.
Oh, I got it, but he’s basically making this all up. A slight against him is an affront to 74 million fuckwit Trumpers. Wonder where he learned that tactic from?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Oh, I got it, but he’s basically making this all up. A slight against him is an affront to 74 million fuckwit Trumpers. Wonder where he learned that tactic from?
All I know is that no matter what side of the aisle one is on, fact checking like this keep things clean. Like I said, I won't engage in politics there but I like that they won't allow hate speech.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
In the process it will just serve to get Threads more downloads. It got 30 million downloads in its first day, while Musk is removing features and access this app only stands to gain.
I’ll never touch Threads (my former Facebook account technically still exists but I don’t touch it in the vain hope that having to keep my data costs them more than scraping my data from years ago) beyond however they integrate into the fediverse (if the instance I belong to federates with them) but I’m enjoying the drama at Twitter’s expense

Top Bottom
1 2