BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score

End of sharing Netflix accounts.
How will they enforce this? They may prompt users, but as we're allowed to have a number of devices connected concurrently, short of a session limit, I don't see how they'll actually stop people from continuing to share.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
How will they enforce this? They may prompt users, but as we're allowed to have a number of devices connected concurrently, short of a session limit, I don't see how they'll actually stop people from continuing to share.
I always assumed it was location based. So if Netflix believes the log in doesn’t match what they believe is the home area, it must be a shared account.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score

I always assumed it was location based. So if Netflix believes the log in doesn’t match what they believe is the home area, it must be a shared account.

If it's anything like what I've seen, if they think you're not in the same household (by location) - they'll start pestering you with a code that generates on the owner's phone, that you have to type into the device trying to use your account if it isn't in the same location as the owner.

Apple TV did this for a little bit - really obnoxiously - until it learned the location of people and stopped asking. <cough>.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I like to access when I travel on my laptop, I wonder how they'll handle this. I'm already on the fence about keeping it as is anyway so if they restrict that I'll probably just drop.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Yep, that's the problem. Your IP range changes all of the time. ISP / Cell Carrier geo-locations are vast. This will cause them a lot of grief (and likely a bunch of subscribers).

They likely have an algorithm like - 4 concurrent connections over 4 different IP ranges, flag as a shared account....and increment the tally over x days, then on day 15, we start hassling them over account sharing.

Me - I used to download everything...haven't rebuilt the NAS / HTPC setup I had back in Ontario/Onterrible...a newsgroup subscription goes pretty far. :)

May go back to that if the streaming services piss me off enough.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

End of sharing Netflix accounts.

So my daughter who is at college, but is still claimed on my taxes as a dependent, can't use my Netflix account? That's some BS. ☹️

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Now, now. Netflix needs this money. I've noticed the dearth of new shows and movies. They hardly create any stuff anymore, and when they do, you can tell the actors are all wearing their own personal clothes and the scenes are shot in their own homes instead of on sets. Sadly, Netflix is turning into a PG-rated OnlyFans.

Please contribute to help this once-great treasure. Won't you send in your contribution of $25, $50 or more? With a $100 donation, we'll send you this great Netflix t-shirt and a complete DVD box set of Ultraman.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ultraman is awesome, I’m in for the $100 :D

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
But don't they currently allow concurrent streaming? We (me, hubby and his parents) get a monthly Netflix discount through our T-Mobile family account. We have a home in NYC and apt in Virginia. The in-laws don't do Netflix. I rarely use it, but often when I do the hubby will be in Virginia regularly watching; especially during the weekends.

Years ago my cousin was locked out of her account due to her daughters giving everyone her Netflix credentials. So I understand Netflix cracking down on those that abuse it. They should only go for those with several streams all over the place. And figure out a way to not penalize families with different locations for legitimate reasons: college kids, multiple city/state families, regularly travel, etc.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I pay for my Netflix and I'm the only one to use it so it won't bother me either way.

But I am curious how this is going to work. My boss had an issue a couple years ago because his daughter went off to college and apparently gave their netflix information to everyone on campus. So one night he was locked out and had to change the password and kick everyone else off. He was pissed! lol

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

Yeah but it's a dumb assumption for a lot of reasons. I have DSL service from Frontier. I reboot my modem-router every morning and also quit my browser when done with assorted tasks or entertainment. Frontier's server locations can vary by hundreds of miles from day to day or sometimes in the same day, for instance whenTHEY reboot their modems at a central office after a thunderstorm or other power outage.

So... I get email from Netflix whenever signing in via a browser on my laptop, to effect of "someone signed into your account from [general location, e.g. Rochester, NY or Oxford, NY, etc. etc., so if it wasn't you please change your password yada yada." It happens with Amazon too, even with 2FA... they text me an OTP, but they still send the stupid emails, I guess because it's just text-2FA which can be spoofed.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Yeah but it's a dumb assumption for a lot of reasons. I have DSL service from Frontier. I reboot my modem-router every morning and also quit my browser when done with assorted tasks or entertainment. Frontier's server locations can vary by hundreds of miles from day to day or sometimes in the same day, for instance whenTHEY reboot their modems at a central office after a thunderstorm or other power outage.

So... I get email from Netflix whenever signing in via a browser on my laptop, to effect of "someone signed into your account from [general location, e.g. Rochester, NY or Oxford, NY, etc. etc., so if it wasn't you please change your password yada yada." It happens with Amazon too, even with 2FA... they text me an OTP, but they still send the stupid emails, I guess because it's just text-2FA which can be spoofed.
Ok, now you've got me wondering (off topic) :D - why do you reboot your modem-router every morning? (most of the ISP's I've had, their DHCP lease time is so long, I always get the same IP address back)

It's pretty rare that I reboot the WAP that my ISP provides. (heh, mind you, only moved a couple of months ago - new ISP, new WAP, so maybe that'll change if I notice any instability).

If your router/modem is having regular issues, such as memory leaks, I'd be swapping it out.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
I’ve found I like watching 2 episodes a day of a show I’m enjoying. I specifically don’t like 1 episode per week,
They could do 2 episodes a week.
I am watching Severance on ATV+ and I love that it’s a weekly show, lots to talk about online.

lizkat

Reaction score
Ok, now you've got me wondering (off topic) :D - why do you reboot your modem-router every morning? (most of the ISP's I've had, their DHCP lease time is so long, I always get the same IP address back)

It's pretty rare that I reboot the WAP that my ISP provides. (heh, mind you, only moved a couple of months ago - new ISP, new WAP, so maybe that'll change if I notice any instability).

If your router/modem is having regular issues, such as memory leaks, I'd be swapping it out.

I just don't leave it on overnight. Why should I when not using it?!

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
I just don't leave it on overnight. Why should I when not using it?!
Heh...seems a hassle. But...auto-downloading of updates and wifi calling are two off the top of my head. Any streaming boxes you have - guess you never watch TV in bed? :) Would be a pain in the ass to have to go turn the WAP off after watching TV when you're already in bed.

They use SO little electricity. :)

lizkat

Reaction score
Heh...seems a hassle. But...auto-downloading of updates and wifi calling are two off the top of my head. Any streaming boxes you have - guess you never watch TV in bed? :) Would be a pain in the ass to have to go turn the WAP off after watching TV when you're already in bed.

They use SO little electricity. :)

I know... it's a self-inflicted problem, so shouldn't whine about Netflix et al requiring reassurance that I haven't moved somewhere else "every day"...

The reason for DSL via landline service anyway is no cell service here, so despite WiFi calling option in recent years, I still preferentially use the landline for voice conversations, although of course the iPhone for 2FA etc. over WiFi. I do use an older iPhone for audiobooks at night, but I listen to them offline upstairs for the few minutes it takes to doze off. There's plenty time during most weekdays for the auto-downloads of software updates, when I'm not using much or any bandwidth past reading the news or looking something up.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Cancelled! Take that, Netflix!

I don’t even share this password, but Netflix is the only streamer charging me for 4K video quality, and $20 is a lot, relatively speaking. If they’d kept it at more like $15 I doubt I would have dropped them.

Top Bottom
1 2