Amazon Prime will air ads starting next month

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
This pisses me off, especially considering my annual renewal just got paid a couple weeks ago. They probably have their asses covered in the small print, but it should be illegal to downgrade a user experience on something that has already been paid for. I paid for no commercials and it should remain that way until the next renewal. And no, I’m not going to now pay extra just to restore the service I already paid for. This in top of already raising their rates. I hope there’s a class-action lawsuit.

And I give fuck all about their original content. You want me to subsidize that then charge for another tier that gives you access to that content. I’m so tired of the entertainment industry forcing us to subsidize their bad bets.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

Damn right.
Yeah, this seems appropriate because, as an annual subscriber who renewed last November, they’ve downgraded the product and I have no recourse until next November. If they’re doing this, they should wait until you renew next to start the ads. That way, the consumer has an informed choice.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I guess my question is does anyone subscribe just to Prime Video? Or is it considered a freebie add-on to Amazon Prime?

Also, did Amazon change its TOS to include the charge more than a year prior, meaning someone like @Edd who resubscribed in November, was informed via the TOS, which no one reads.

I have seen adds a couple of times, but always at the beginning of the show and not during the show.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This pisses me off, especially considering my annual renewal just got paid a couple weeks ago. They probably have their asses covered in the small print, but it should be illegal to downgrade a user experience on something that has already been paid for. I paid for no commercials and it should remain that way until the next renewal. And no, I’m not going to now pay extra just to restore the service I already paid for. This in top of already raising their rates. I hope there’s a class-action lawsuit.

And I give fuck all about their original content. You want me to subsidize that then charge for another tier that gives you access to that content. I’m so tired of the entertainment industry forcing us to subsidize their bad bets.
Yeah this is a total slap in the face IMO. I have shows that I've purchased and they haven't inserted ads on them yet but if they did I would be pretty upset. Outside of that I don't think there's any content there that I would be willing to pay to remove ads for, they just can't compete with some of the other majors out there and aren't worth it.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah this is a total slap in the face IMO. I have shows that I've purchased and they haven't inserted ads on them yet but if they did I would be pretty upset. Outside of that I don't think there's any content there that I would be willing to pay to remove ads for, they just can't compete with some of the other majors out there and aren't worth it.
I’ve become so hostile towards ads as a mechanism that ruins the atmosphere of a program, that I decided $2.99 month was worth it. Subject to revision. 🤔

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I guess my question is does anyone subscribe just to Prime Video? Or is it considered a freebie add-on to Amazon Prime?

Also, did Amazon change its TOS to include the charge more than a year prior, meaning someone like @Edd who resubscribed in November, was informed via the TOS, which no one reads.

I have seen adds a couple of times, but always at the beginning of the show and not during the show.
Although I do read most of my TOS, I don't recall reading this one. I really didn't start to read them until about 4 - 5 years ago.

I don't think it will effect me much. I think the quality of the Amazon Prime content has gone down. I can't remember a show or movie since the pandemic that I thought was good quality.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I'd be curious to see what would happen if they detached Prime Video from Prime shipping. I bet very few people would subscribe to Prime Video.

I very rarely use Prime as a source to just browse because I'm bored. I mostly just use it when there is something specific on there I want to see. While I want to support independent movies, Amazon puts out a ton of garbage that would be ridiculed even if it was just released on YouTube.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I don't think it will effect me much. I think the quality of the Amazon Prime content has gone down. I can't remember a show or movie since the pandemic that I thought was good quality.

Reacher and TNF are the only ones I watch.

And it has been reported that Prime will get an NFL playoff game next year. While not a fan of playoff games going streaming, Prime is better than Peacock. The game on Peacock was unwatchable due to pixelation.

I'd be curious to see what would happen if they detached Prime Video from Prime shipping. I bet very few people would subscribe to Prime Video.

The TNF games would bring some in, but can't see any other reason. Maybe get people to sub for a month or two for a particular series.

I remember back when the Soprano's was on DirecTV would allow people to add and drop premium channels online. People would add HBO on Sunday, watch the Soprano's and then cancel on Monday. Cost them $0.40 a week vs. $12/mo. Now you can add online, but have to call to cancel.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Reacher and TNF are the only ones I watch.

And it has been reported that Prime will get an NFL playoff game next year. While not a fan of playoff games going streaming, Prime is better than Peacock. The game on Peacock was unwatchable due to pixelation.

The TNF games would bring some in, but can't see any other reason. Maybe get people to sub for a month or two for a particular series.

I remember back when the Soprano's was on DirecTV would allow people to add and drop premium channels online. People would add HBO on Sunday, watch the Soprano's and then cancel on Monday. Cost them $0.40 a week vs. $12/mo. Now you can add online, but have to call to cancel.
As much as I like the Reacher movies, I watched all of Season 1 and found the actor to be a little off. Not sure he was the right casting for the role. I just couldn't make myself sit through Season 2, but that is my personal decision.

I am not a fan of the Thursday Night football games. I think it waters down the product, and really wasn't into committing another night of my week to football. As for the playoffs, I believe if the local team is in the playoffs the NFL has to provide a free option of broadcasting the game locally. It will just be a few less games for me to watch. I am not sure how the NFL will make out if the Conference Championships and SuperBowl eventually go to a pay streaming service. Seems like they will loose viewership.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
As much as I like the Reacher movies, I watched all of Season 1 and found the actor to be a little off. Not sure he was the right casting for the role. I just couldn't make myself sit through Season 2, but that is my personal decision.

If you have read the books, he is closer to what Reacher is supposed to be. But then again, sometimes I still see TC as Reacher. We rewatched S1 before S2. S2 definitely had a different feel to it. The showrunner said S3 will be more of Reacher solo.

I did find one thing interesting, Neagley has been in both seasons. She is in 6 books, but she is not in The Killing Floor (S1). And she is also not in the book Persuader (Book 7), which S3 will be based on, but she will be in S3. Also, it claims to be set in Boston so we may get to see Finley again.

I do have it on my Kindle, so I may have read it at some point.

I am not a fan of the Thursday Night football games. I think it waters down the product, and really wasn't into committing another night of my week to football. As for the playoffs, I believe if the local team is in the playoffs the NFL has to provide a free option of broadcasting the game locally. It will just be a few less games for me to watch. I am not sure how the NFL will make out if the Conference Championships and SuperBowl eventually go to a pay streaming service.

Agree 100%. I would be happy to just have a good college game on Thursday night. Maybe 2, one at 7:30 and one at 10:30 for us on the west coast.

The Miami-KC game that was on Peacock was aired in those 2 markets on whatever station has the contract for those games.

Seems like they will loose viewership.

But will they lose money. Because that is the answer.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
If you have read the books, he is closer to what Reacher is supposed to be. But then again, sometimes I still see TC as Reacher. We rewatched S1 before S2. S2 definitely had a different feel to it. The showrunner said S3 will be more of Reacher solo.

I did find one thing interesting, Neagley has been in both seasons. She is in 6 books, but she is not in The Killing Floor (S1). And she is also not in the book Persuader (Book 7), which S3 will be based on, but she will be in S3. Also, it claims to be set in Boston so we may get to see Finley again.

I do have it on my Kindle, so I may have read it at some point.

Agree 100%. I would be happy to just have a good college game on Thursday night. Maybe 2, one at 7:30 and one at 10:30 for us on the west coast.

The Miami-KC game that was on Peacock was aired in those 2 markets on whatever station has the contract for those games.

But will they lose money. Because that is the answer.
I may add the books to my ever growing reading list. I have noticed that I have less attention to read now, it's almost as if I have trained my brain to consume 30 second snippets of life. :confused:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I may add the books to my ever growing reading list. I have noticed that I have less attention to read now, it's almost as if I have trained my brain to consume 30 second snippets of life. :confused:

Then Lee Childs is not an author you want to read. Very wordy. His books could be 25% shorter and still be good stories.

Top Bottom
1 2