NYT slings a Dwight Garner skillet on Jared Kushner's memoir

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
LOL I refuse to post this in the books thread. as that might imply I've any intention of reading Kushner's Breaking History memoir.

Mr. Garner has outdone himself in a mercifully brief gander at Jared's ghostwritten cruise through the West Wing.

This book is like a tour of a once majestic 18th-century wooden house, now burned to its foundations, that focuses solely on, and rejoices in, what’s left amid the ashes: the two singed bathtubs, the gravel driveway and the mailbox. Kushner’s fealty to Trump remains absolute. Reading this book reminded me of watching a cat lick a dog’s eye goo.

What a queasy-making book to have in your hands. Once someone has happily worked alongside one of the most flagrant and systematic and powerful liars in this country’s history, how can anyone be expected to believe a word they say?

It makes a kind of sense that Kushner is likely to remain exiled in Florida. “The whole peninsula of Florida was weighted down with regret,” as Cynthia Ozick put it in “The Shawl.” “Everyone had left behind a real life.”

Dwight Garner is not just some hack critic. He has long written literary criticism for the Times and is entirely capable of appreciating good writing, for example after Roger Angell had passed away and left us without further deep and memorable insights into American baseball.

So I'm going to take Garner's word on the value of looking past the cover of Kushner's memoir and just skip it.

Links supplied in this post have had the Times paywall removed.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
LOL I refuse to post this in the books thread. as that might imply I've any intention of reading Kushner's Breaking History memoir.

Mr. Garner has outdone himself in a mercifully brief gander at Jared's ghostwritten cruise through the West Wing.

Dwight Garner is not just some hack critic. He has long written literary criticism for the Times and is entirely capable of appreciating good writing, for example after Roger Angell had passed away and left us without further deep and memorable insights into American baseball.

So I'm going to take Garner's word on the value of looking past the cover of Kushner's memoir and just skip it.

Links supplied in this post have had the Times paywall removed.

That was a delightfully humorous, and no doubt accurate, assessment!

In the end, I'd rather clip my toenails than spend time in any book by Kushner.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I'd rather bob for apples in a sewer than read anything this narcissistic silver-spooner has to say. He was in over his head, unqualified, and a grifter. You know, everything they say about Hunter Biden, except Hunter Biden is a private citizen off doing whatever and not working for a deranged lunatic in the White House.

Top Bottom
1 2