RC Cola

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
RC was my preferred cola for a few years as a kid. Now I don’t touch soda without booze in it.

Adults that drink straight soda weird me out. I’m pretty sure I was living in Missouri (about 10 years old) when I went on a field trip to a soda manufacturer and they showed us that each can of cola has 7 teaspoons of sugar. I don’t know how it’s done now but if you’re going to poison yourself at least catch a buzz to make it worthwhile.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
RC was my preferred cola for a few years as a kid. Now I don’t touch soda without booze in it.

Adults that drink straight soda weird me out. I’m pretty sure I was living in Missouri (about 10 years old) when I went on a field trip to a soda manufacturer and they showed us that each can of cola has 7 teaspoons of sugar. I don’t know how it’s done now but if you’re going to poison yourself at least catch a buzz to make it worthwhile.
Also loved it as a kid (are we dating ourselves or what?) and now I like those small cans of coke, I'll usually have a couple a day and figure if that's the thing that gets me there are probably worse ways to go. :mrgreen:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
RC was the “official soda” of the Mets and all they served at Shea Stadium, so I used to have to drink that (or Diet Rite) whenever I went to the games. I hated it. It always tasted like flat/stale coke. From my perspective, RC is to Coke like Hydrox is to Oreos. Always a disappointment.

As an adult I pretty much only drink soda, still. Mostly Diet Sunkist. So I guess I’m a weirdo.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is that a brand of laundry detergent or something?

Sounds like it, doesn’t it?

These things actually pre-dated Oreos, and Oreos are actually an imitation of them. But since they taste like garbage, they are pretty much only popular among Orthodox Jews because they are kosher while Oreos were not (they may be now). I lived for a very long time in a town where half the population was Jewish, and there was a very large Hasidic community, and so Hydrox had more or less equal shelf space with Oreos. I haven’t seen them in stores since I left. My understanding is they still exist, but some company just started making them because the prior maker (who was Kellogg’s at the time, I believe) just gave up and abandoned the trademark. So current Hydrox may be completely different than the Hydrox of my youth.

Speaking of which, despite popular opinion, I also think Oreos are better than Newman-O’s.

This is a very important discussion. :)

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Usually you could get a can of RC cheaper than a can of Coke in the 80s, so sometimes you’d end up with RC. It’s not terrible, but I preferred (and still prefer) Coke.

If you want to talk about bad soda, there’s always Moxie. Tastes like carbonated ear wax. They like it in Maine for some reason.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Usually you could get a can of RC cheaper than a can of Coke in the 80s, so sometimes you’d end up with RC. It’s not terrible, but I preferred (and still prefer) Coke.

In the 80’s you could get a can of Old Milwaukee for less than a can of nearly any other beer. Didn’t make it a good idea to buy it :)

The *worst* soda I ever had was at some burger place, where they had it in the soda fountain. Maybe it was Burger Bar, but I can’t remember. It was one of those “natural” sodas that are very trendy now, at least in california. I think it was a diet cola with stevia or something. It was painful to drink. Wish I could remember the name.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just remembered that I have two cans of RC cola sitting in my closet, dating from 1986. They have “Mets World Champs” or something printed on them, and I think the Mets blue and orange colors. I’ll have to go take a look at them when I get home.

I had left them in my childhood home when I moved out, and my dad shipped them to me when he moved and sold the house. I don’t know what to do with them. Certainly drinking them isn’t an option :)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

If you want to talk about bad soda, there’s always Moxie. Tastes like carbonated ear wax. They like it in Maine for some reason.

The town of Lisbon, Maine, which the article references, is where I went to high school. I graduated in ‘88 and even then we had the Moxie festival every year and a Moxie Queen was selected.

Fun fact, Stephen King went to that high school and graduated with my mother. I had a few of his teachers.

I still think of it as a shitty town and Moxie sucks.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
These things actually pre-dated Oreos, and Oreos are actually an imitation of them. But since they taste like garbage, they are pretty much only popular among Orthodox Jews because they are kosher while Oreos were not (they may be now).

I didn't realize that, I had wondered why Harlan Ellison went on a rant about how great Hydrox are (and how Oreos were created by Satan ...).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
RC is in our local Publix right now, definitely a southern thing, i.e., an RC Cola and a Moonpie :ROFLMAO:

My Grandfather up in GA used to put creamer in Strawberry Nehis, oh, and the most deliciously disgusting thing, up there, dumping a package (like one of those long sleeves) of peanuts INTO a bottled soft drink.

Don't ask, I have no idea.

Adults that drink straight soda weird me out.

Hahaha, I used to listen to a podcast, and one of the goobers was all put out if a restaurant didn't have Sprite. Like his discerning adult palette is put out by the wrong, clear, sweetwater :ROFLMAO:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
RC was my preferred cola for a few years as a kid.
Also loved it as a kid (are we dating ourselves or what?)

Eric, do you remember when the RC cans had the baseball players on them. RC was what they sold at the CC pool and I collected all the players I could. Haven't had an original RC in a while. Have done the Diet-Rite, but it loses its fizz too fast.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
RC is in our local Publix right now, definitely a southern thing, i.e., an RC Cola and a Moonpie :ROFLMAO:

This just happened ... HAHAHAHAHAHA

1657817198266.png

Top Bottom
1 2