Russia-Ukraine

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
but did the gift certificate include a manure spreader?

Leader of Belarus gifts Putin a tractor for 70th birthday​

Probably a hint he wouldn't mind if Vlad quit abusing the 'hospitality' of Belarus and just hitched up that tractor to a wagon full of any stuff Putin's army still has parked there and hauled it back home.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
That tweet, from the Libertarian Party, was an unthinking callous remark divorced from reality. and to think I once supported them. I was wrong.
I mean if Ukraine could just sit back and let Russia continue to target and murder all their civilians that would be just great. But no, they've had to go and upset the likes of Rand Paul and the Libertarians by launching a counter-offensive.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Even if some kind of settlement was reached today where Putin got to keep all the annexed territories, or even all of Ukraine for that matter, I don’t see how this is going to end well for Putin with all the human and economic carnage caused, and for what exactly? I can’t imagine anybody under the age of 60 getting all pumped about the rebuilding of the USSR when they look at the actual cost. There are countless dead soldiers with family and friends and I can’t imagine the ones that do return are going to be doing so with tales of glory and a righteous war.

It’s no small irony that Putin blames the west for everything now when it’s the influence of the west that is the exact reason for his current wealth and power.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Everybody make sure you "strongly condemn" whatever it is Putin does today. Putin, as most world leaders, fears a strong condemnation more than anything else. It's the Yelp review of elites. Throw in a smattering of "war crime". A few more and I'm sure he'll reverse course.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Everybody make sure you "strongly condemn" whatever it is Putin does today. Putin, as most world leaders, fears a strong condemnation more than anything else. It's the Yelp review of elites. Throw in a smattering of "war crime". A few more and I'm sure he'll reverse course.

Yeah Putin is in transmit only mode by now for sure. I hope there are a few generals or aides who can still catch his attention and divert him from thinking he has only destructive options left.

All this human tragedy... fed by a petulant guy who was running a country with a GDP lower than that of the US state of Florida, when he first announced a "special military operation" into Ukraine.

Too bad The Don didn't try harder to buy Greenland, he could have given it to Vladimir with the promise that just the annual fish and crustacean harvest might help propel the Russian Federation into competitiveness with New York State or at least Illinois.

Starting to wonder how long it could take Russia to climb out of the hole Putin made worse. The problem is that a country with its back to the wall but also in possession of nuclear arms is perhaps more dangerous than a well functioning superpower. Also starting to wonder how many of the latter are actually left on the planet.

So far I am relieved that tfg is not still in the WH, and grateful that the current administration values diverse input, expertise, political negotiations here and offshore... and has started to emphasize that it expects agencies to function in service to the people, not to dismantle ability to do so. I wonder though how much lasting damage to effective governance has occurred that we are not even aware of.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
… more dangerous than a well functioning superpower. Also starting to wonder how many of the latter are actually left on the planet.

If there ever were (in the bigger picture). But I did see a link posted on another site (by an apparent Vladapologist) that suggested US fancy weapon stocks such as can be shipped to Ukraine are dwindling. Russia may be burning through their inventory, but we may also. Imagine two hostile superpowers with little left but apocalypsowers.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If there ever were (in the bigger picture). But I did see a link posted on another site (by an apparent Vladapologist) that suggested US fancy weapon stocks such as can be shipped to Ukraine are dwindling. Russia may be burning through their inventory, but we may also. Imagine two hostile superpowers with little left but apocalypsowers.

The good news is that the US is not alone in supplying weapons to Ukraine. Many European countries, along with Australia and Canada, have been as well. I suspect other European countries such as the UK and Poland will be stepping up further.

After the recent missile attacks, Germany announced they'll be sending four of its IRIS air defense systems to Ukraine. I wouldn't be surprised if the US soon starts supplying Patriot and Avenger air defense systems to counter Russian missile attacks.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

Also imagine the money being spent on both sides that would better serve improving the conditions in their country for their citizens. Instead, those making these decisions suffer zero loss to their wealth or lifestyle. It's only when the welfare of their citizens comes into question that they suddenly start looking at how that could negatively impact their bank account.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Insightful as usual from Atlantic Magazine

On Saturday, Ukraine showed why it is winning its war against Russia. On Monday, Russia showed why it is losing. Those two days revealed sharp contrasts between the two militaries. One is clever, well prepared, willing to undertake complex operations, and focused on maximally damaging its enemy’s ability to fight. The other is prone to bursts of rage and is open to committing any crime possible, but its actions are ultimately self-defeating.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Insightful as usual from Atlantic Magazine

On Saturday, Ukraine showed why it is winning its war against Russia. On Monday, Russia showed why it is losing. Those two days revealed sharp contrasts between the two militaries. One is clever, well prepared, willing to undertake complex operations, and focused on maximally damaging its enemy’s ability to fight. The other is prone to bursts of rage and is open to committing any crime possible, but its actions are ultimately self-defeating.

Like I said in another post, Russia seems to have a nice long history of having the main military tactic of throwing as many bodies as possible at a situation that statistically hasn’t ended in their favor while the world has consistently overestimated their ability. It’s like they need this mythical evenly matched bad guy.

To be fair it’s not like the US has definitively won a lot of wars either. Blew up a lot of shit and killed a massive amount of people, sure. But positively changed or stabilized a region for the long term, or even medium term? Fuck no. Same thing can be said about our CIA meddling. Most of their efforts fail and the ones that succeed cause a huge blowback that is worse than whatever it was they were trying to change or control.

I think the main difference between Russia’s failed wars and the US failed wars, is the restraint of escalating things further. The US stops well short of our total war capabilities. Russia takes it right up to the porch of their maximum capabilities. Pitted directly against each other the US maximum, short of nukes, would go well beyond where Russia’s ended.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
The bridge fiasco has caused backups at the ferry terminal

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1580319320458276864/

Curiously, the tweet says the backup is at the Kerch ferry terminal – Kerch is in Crimea, so those would have to be trucks waiting to depart from Crimea, not carrying stuff to the Russ army. (Not to mention, that does not look to me like the nomal Kerch terminal, which is in the city.)

Top Bottom
1 2