Silly Season: iPhone 17 and foldable rumors

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Supposedly a foldable iPhone and a 20” foldable “hybrid” (mac/ipad) device coming in a year or two:

And iPhone 17 will have a “slim” variety and Pro Max version will have smaller dynamic island (supposedly):

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I'm skeptical with respect to both.

I believe the iphone 17 rumors. I figure if there is a ”slim” it will be because the bigger screen size allows a thinner battery to maintain the same volume. Though the “slim” name would be weird.

I also am beginning to believe that ipad/mac are going to converge (into what, I don’t know). I think at WWDC there may be signs of touch input in macos.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Supposedly a foldable iPhone and a 20” foldable “hybrid” (mac/ipad) device coming in a year or two:

This isn't particularly relevant. Just noodling about recent Apple purchases and what would have been better for myself.

My wife recently purchased a 15.3" M3 MBA.

That's such a sweet handling/feeling laptop. It's significantly lighter, thinner, and much easier to handle than my 16" M2 MBP. And more useable than my 12.9" M1 iPad Pro (which I rarely use). I'd loose about 1/2" in both display width and height compared to my 16" MBP - which would be mice-nuts for me.

If I could roll back time and have a do-over, I'd just get the 15.3" M3 MBA and be happy - and save a lot of money. I'll never need more than two TB ports for my use.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I've played with the Samsung foldables and you can definitely see the fold line.
Unless apple figures a way around that, I think they’d more likely do a multi-screen device with a fold between the screens. Foldable screens make a nice demo, but are shit to live with.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I've played with the Samsung foldables and you can definitely see the fold line.

That's what I'd worry about.

Also my iPhone 15PM fits nicely in my shirt pocket and is easy to access. I think unfolding a foldable every time I wanted to use the phone (take/make calls, email, web, calendar, stocks, home automation and security cameras, taking photographs, etc.), something I do dozens of times a day, would get annoying.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
There is way they could make it better, though. Those sidebars are just wide enough that they could put in a keypad in their place. I woud so approve of that.

Sidebars meaning the areas left and right of the trackpad? Or left and right of the keyboard?

Top Bottom
1 2