The Ai thread

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Formerly represented, I think... the footnote relates that his current counsel admitted to being unable to verify the citations made by previous counsel.

True, though I’m not sure if he still represents him or not (a new attorney doesn;t mean the old attorney has ceased the representation)

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but it’s his lawyer’s fault. I double-check whatever my client tells me, because I have an obligation to do so.

Absolutely agree. I don't think placing the blame on Cohen is going to work out well here, and it looks bad when Schwartz and Perry aren't on the same page when discussing things with the judge. It really seems like his representation is now trying to squirm out of the consequences of the mistakes made here. But yes, if I was a lawyer for a disbarred lawyer (edit: or any lawyer), I'd be scrutinizing the citations provided by my client more, not less.

Clowns all around.

Last edited:

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score

So I don’t know the details of this deal (and apparently neither do the voice actors which is not a good look for their union). But I can see AI voice acting being okay under specific circumstances. This isn’t the only one but the main one I can think of which I think has been mentioned in this thread by others: imagine a massive sprawling RPG like Baldur’s Gate where human writers and an actor have been paid for a huge number of lines to create a compelling character one with an arc or even multiple arcs based on your choices in game. Then imagine being able to interact with said character by simply typing (or speaking!) your lines. Maybe you can still have prompts to trigger their preset responses but even so the AI is trained to reply (and act) as the character and where they are in the story so far. Human creativity for both voice acting and the lines (animation/mocap too) is still being paid, a necessary element for creating a strong character (so far, AI has its limits), but the freedom of expression for the player goes up tremendously. Now there may be other examples where AI can extend human creativity in this space rather than be a shallow imitation of it (and the business/ethics of the former compared to the latter for writers, actors, and animators), but I think that’s certainly the main area.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting happens in the book publishing world:

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be a journalist these days. Spend 99% of your time figuring out fact from fiction...
According to some folks Journalism is fake and they make up what they want to hear anyways.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
This has been making the rounds for how awful it was:

Well George Carlin lives again lots of controversy about this 1hour long AI made comedy show.

I watched the beginning of this, with the included disclaimer. Did the author say he imitated him or did he feed clips of Carlin into AI software? With the disclaimer, I wonder why it‘s controversial, at least any more controversial than any other recent AI output featuring celebrities? I assume the skit (what is said) was created by the author of this. 🤔

You can be a professional imitator without legal jeopardy especially with disclaimers, but I wonder with the laws as they are, would the Carlin Estate have any legal response to this?

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I watched the beginning of this, with the included disclaimer. Did the author say he imitated him or did he feed clips of Carlin into AI software? With the disclaimer, I wonder why it‘s controversial, at least any more controversial than any other recent AI output featuring celebrities? I assume the skit (what is said) was created by the author of this. 🤔

You can be a professional imitator without legal jeopardy especially with disclaimers, but I wonder with the laws as they are, would the Carlin Estate have any legal response to this?
I saw a podcast about it before I listened to it. it was like soiling his rep or something. it was not bad but it was not great either. I think it i let the dead stay dead. they did not like it but I dont think there was a legal issue.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Was just a matter of time. Whoever develops the software that becomes the gold standard in detecting fakes/AI will be a gazillionaire.

Given the nature of the photos this is more just showing how lax Twitter’s security is as them being generated by AI is inconsequential. If they had been real from say a hacked phone there would be just as much reason to take them down. It’s just easier to generate these things now (and make them look “real”).

That said, I agree detecting AI deepfakes will become big business but it will be a running battle. What will be the gold standard won’t be for long.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
The real problem is social media, because AI becomes less pervasive if people disconnect from their phones, which I will be the first to admit I have no intention of doing. But I recognize the issue 😁

But in all seriousness, if there can be a cultural or societal move to put down social media more often, engage less (I deleted a few myself, which is why I’m on here so damn much), there’s less chance to be fooled, mislead, angered, triggered, whatever. Then people focus less on disturbing media or misleading media, and more on using AI for places where it can be of real benefit to humanity.

If things go south, I suppose it will make the idea of death more palatable. Powerful tools in the hands of dumb people sounds like it could be a problem.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Saw this on mastodon

1706313610996.png

Top Bottom