Roe vs. Wade overturned

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I just don't think abortion should be used as a form of birth control.
I seriously doubt that is ever the plan. At least that's not what I witnessed while holding the hand of two different friends who had abortions since the men who got them into the predicament bailed on taking ownership of their part in the deed. It's a gut wrenching procedure that I don't think any woman desires to find herself in.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Agree 100%.

I just don't think abortion should be used as a form of birth control.
Why would any woman prefer surgical abortion as a form of birth control? It's more expensive (not including the time and cost of travel from states that don't provide it) and is riskier, even though it's safe in good hands. But all the non-surgical options are fallible, and women are often not aware they're pregnant well into the first trimester. Plus, as I said, there are maternal and fetal conditions that only can be addressed by abortion. And what about the states that are considering defining life as beginning at conception, which would technically make several forms of contraception illegal?

The Republicans who are restricting or outright banning abortion don't care about the women who will be most affected, nor are they concerned about their babies' well-being. If they were, they wouldn't be advocating for not providing formula to the few hundred (at most) babies who are under U.S. custody at the border. It's immensely hypocritical to say it's acceptable for the government to regulate what a woman does with her own body when it comes to abortion, but rail against vaccine and mask mandates that help protect others and can make a huge difference in the course of a deadly pandemic, to the individual and common good.

And I don't doubt for a minute that if someone in Tate Reeves' family or circle wanted an abortion, they would get it and have it kept secret.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I’ve never seen one thing that suggested anyone uses abortion as birth control. Personally, I don’t believe anyone does. But it’s 100% effective, while birth control is not. Ever looked at the stats on pregnancies to women on the pill?
The “abortion used as birth control” is a worn-out anti-abortion trope. Those repeating it may not realize that, but the idea is to paint those having abortions as heartless people who would rather kill a baby than use a condom.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the "Christian" proponents of restricting or banning abortion would say if asked about the situation in Israel, where abortion is widely available, albeit with some requirements such as committee review that the current health minister thinks should be relaxed.

Under Jewish law, “personhood” begins at birth, and maternal physical and mental well-being always takes precedence. Therefore, a woman's emotional distress may be acceptable grounds for abortion. Even the Talmud, which is the primary text of rabbinic Judaism, says “until forty days from conception the fetus is merely water. It is not yet considered a living being.”

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The “abortion used as birth control” is a worn-out anti-abortion trope. Those repeating it may not realize that, but the idea is to paint those having abortions as heartless people who would rather kill a baby than use a condom.

That is absolutely not what I am saying. But :poop: happens sometimes. People get lazy or drunk and hope the odds work in their favor. (For the record, I have been there. Had a few long weeks a couple of times and it is certainly no fun.) No I seriously doubt people would rather kill a baby vs using a condom.

But your choice of words is interesting. Your post seems to indicate that you think it is killing a baby, which is the position of the anti-abortion side.

And don't forget, I am not opposed to abortion. I do think if you can't make a decision by 24 weeks (which is more than reasonable and longer than many other countries) , then you can put it up for adoption. (Life of the mother excepted.)

What I find interesting is that a majority of people think overturning RvW will outlaw abortions across the country. It does not.

I think this is an opportunity for the Dems if they don't squander it to change some statehouses in Red states.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
That is absolutely not what I am saying. But :poop: happens sometimes. People get lazy or drunk and hope the odds work in their favor. (For the record, I have been there. Had a few long weeks a couple of times and it is certainly no fun.) No I seriously doubt people would rather kill a baby vs using a condom.

But your choice of words is interesting. Your post seems to indicate that you think it is killing a baby, which is the position of the anti-abortion side.
I didn’t think you were trying to say that. But it has been the point of such a statement from the anti-abortion coalition in the past, which is why I thought it bore a mention.

As for my choice of words, I said that anti-abortion activists are the ones trying to paint people as baby killers. I don’t see how you could read that to think that I agree with them.

What I find interesting is that a majority of people think overturning RvW will outlaw abortions across the country. It does not.

I’d be interested in seeing the poll that indicates that belief. The decision will allow abortion to be outlawed across the country. Not every state will do so, but many already have laws on the books that take effect immediately upon the overturning of Roe. So the effect of overturning Roe would be immediate abortion bans across much of the country.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
(Life of the mother excepted.)
Well, there some really ugly stories in which strict late-term abortion bans offer the worst possible outcomes. Abortions after 20 weeks are extremely uncommon, and those that happen because the woman could not make up her mind are vanishing rare. These bans are just plain stupid, and "life of the mother" is a wrong metric.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

It leaves the issue up to the states, as it was before Roe v. Wade. 22 states are expect to ban it outright with practically no exceptions the moment SCOTUS makes it ruling, with some planning provisions to criminalize those who go out of state to get an abortion while forbiding IUDs and morning after pills.

Don't underestimate the absolutely draconian extremes some of these state governments are willing to go to the moment they're able.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm

And don't forget, I am not opposed to abortion. I do think if you can't make a decision by 24 weeks (which is more than reasonable and longer than many other countries) , then you can put it up for adoption. (Life of the mother excepted.)

I think this is an opportunity for the Dems if they don't squander it to change some statehouses in Red states.

It's okay to be morally opposed to abortion but still be pro choice. That is where I stand. They are not mutually exclusive. If abortions *have* to happen, they need to be safe and legal.

Katbel

Site Champ
Staff Member
Reaction score
From Canada we are watching what's happening in US .😟
We don't understand why there are people caring about life so much, even before birth -mollyc explained it very well-
but not doing anything to stop the killings happening so often, in schools, malls everywhere.
We feel for you 🌹 and hope someone will fix this nonsense

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Because half the states have trigger laws ready to go into effect if it’s overturned.

And let’s face it, does it really matter if states like TX are going to refuse to allow its citizens to leave the state so they can get an abortion elsewhere? Does it really matter if states like FL will persecute prosecute a mother who has a miscarriage?

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Because half the states have trigger laws ready to go into effect if it’s overturned.

And let’s face it, does it really matter if states like TX are going to refuse to allow its citizens to leave the state so they can get an abortion elsewhere? Does it really matter if states like FL will persecute prosecute a mother who has a miscarriage?

He wont care...until his daughter has a miscarriage and they come for her.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
When the "hate big gov't & intrusion in our lives crowd" is in gov't, NOTHING is safe. Despite the obvious

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1525874695186300930/

Because... the "I hate big gov't" crowd wants to use "big gov't" against sovereign land? :oops:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
20 years ago a black person married to a white supremacist activist probably would have made a pretty funny Chappelle Show skit, but in 2022 that's the reality of a supreme court justice and not funny in the slightest. And even more absurd, Thomas has somehow become the spokesperson for this shit, made even more ironic in his righteous fixation on the supreme court losing the respect of the American people. It's like taking a dump in somebody's living room and trying to convince people the anger should be aimed at the homeowners for calling you on it.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Thank goodness they stopped this guy before he could commit violence:

McConnell used the incident to call on the House to pass legislation increasing protection for Supreme Court Justices and their families.
Meanwhile, he’s hard at work blocking legislation to protect little kids from being gunned down. Priorities.

Top Bottom
1 2