Today's Apple event

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Today's Apple event starts at 5PM (Pacific time).

And it can be viewed at Apple.com.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Odd, M3 Pro chip is not a Max chip cut-off this time
f-9539c07da394ac3f8e7455f8de104262e5e33516.jpg

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
So 15% faster P-cores and 30% faster E-cores. Interesting. Was hoping for closer to 30% faster P-cores, but 15% isn't bad by any stretch.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
So 15% faster P-cores and 30% faster E-cores. Interesting. Was hoping for closer to 30% faster P-cores, but 15% isn't bad by any stretch.
Yeah, Iā€™ll wait and see what 15% means, but on the face of it, thatā€™s a little disappointing. 15% on geekbench of M2 takes it to around 2900 which is hmmmm. Are we sure these arenā€™t A16?

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Iā€™ll wait and see what 15% means, but on the face of it, thatā€™s a little disappointing. 15% on geekbench of M2 takes it to around 2900 which is hmmmm. Are we sure these arenā€™t A16?
I doubt it, but they didn't say the core names - but that's just like the A17. It'd be weird to have the same A17 GPU cores and not CPU cores on the same process as A17.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
I doubt it, but they didn't say the core names - but that's just like the A17. It'd be weird to have the same A17 GPU cores and not CPU cores on the same process as A17.
Iā€™m sure youā€™re correct, but then Iā€™m struggling to think why single core performance might only be 15%. Time will tell I suppose. Their measurements donā€™t always align with the kind of benchmarks we discuss here.

B01L

SlackMaster
Reaction score
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe...
No, it really was in previous generations. You look at the die shot of M1 Pro or M2 Pro, up next to the corresponding Max die, it looks exactly like they just cut off half the GPU core set.

I really do not think that is correct, the M1/M2 Pro were always their own die, not cut-down M1/M2 Max dies; and that would be a horrendous waste of wafer space...?

Aaronage

Power User
Reaction score
Is It possible M3 will have similar single thread performance to A17? A17 cores are apparently already using M1/M2 core power (around 5W).
I thought my estimate of 3300 points GB6 was low, but 15% over M2 wouldnā€™t get there šŸ˜¬

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I really do not think that is correct, the M1/M2 Pro were always their own die, not cut-down M1/M2 Max dies; and that would be a horrendous waste of wafer space...?
Not literally cut down, but designed so with minimal changes you could create a SoC similar to the Max but with less GPU cores, sharing most of the floor planning.

Top Bottom
1 2