Traveling to Sweden out of Copenhagen

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
We’re making a 10 day trip to Scandinavia and are flying into Copenhagen and spending the first few days there.

We‘d like to spend a few days in Sweden but don’t want to spend major time traveling. A train to Gothenburg is only a few hours. Can anyone recommend it as a good city to visit for a few days or have a different suggestion? Never been to the region so open to ideas.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Interested in what you find out. Next June I am looking to create a trip where we fly into Stockholm spend a three or four nights, train to Copenhagen spend a couple of nights, then fly to Bergen Norway another 3 or so nights, and then back home. I might just cut out Copenhagen since Stockholm is pretty similar in things to see and culture. Although I wouldn't say that to the Danes or Swedes.

Outshoot Mantra

Reaction score
We’re making a 10 day trip to Scandinavia and are flying into Copenhagen and spending the first few days there.

We‘d like to spend a few days in Sweden but don’t want to spend major time traveling. A train to Gothenburg is only a few hours. Can anyone recommend it as a good city to visit for a few days or have a different suggestion? Never been to the region so open to ideas.
Might be late but I live in Gothenburg so ask away. I would recommend going out to the archipelago if the weather cooperates. Food and craft beer scene is nice and with the USD to SEK exchange rate now, everything should be good priced as well. Fish and seafood is the local speciality.
Fair warning: There is a major infrastructure project going on at the moment, so there are road work everywhere. But at least the train from Copenhagen is going into the city again.

Outshoot Mantra

Reaction score
Interested in what you find out. Next June I am looking to create a trip where we fly into Stockholm spend a three or four nights, train to Copenhagen spend a couple of nights, then fly to Bergen Norway another 3 or so nights, and then back home. I might just cut out Copenhagen since Stockholm is pretty similar in things to see and culture. Although I wouldn't say that to the Danes or Swedes.
For Stockholm in June I would definately recommend going on a boat cruise or similar. But a lot of history and culture to enjoy. Early June is probably the best time to visit Sweden. Personally I would not skip Copenhagen, it is more laid back and relaxed than Stockholm. Oslo is also a nice place to visit in June.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Might be late but I live in Gothenburg so ask away. I would recommend going out to the archipelago if the weather cooperates. Food and craft beer scene is nice and with the USD to SEK exchange rate now, everything should be good priced as well. Fish and seafood is the local speciality.
Fair warning: There is a major infrastructure project going on at the moment, so there are road work everywhere. But at least the train from Copenhagen is going into the city again.
Thank you! Very much looking forward to the seafood. We’ve reserved lodging for 3 days in Gothenburg and will play it by ear to stay a bit longer or return to Copenhagen, depending on where we like better.

Regarding bicycles, there seems to be a ton of info about how bike-friendly Copenhagen is but very little on Gothenburg. How bike-friendly is it?

Outshoot Mantra

Reaction score
Gothenburg is far from the same level as Copenhagen, but there are bike lanes over the entire city centre. Biggest issue as a cyclist is rental e-scooters and pedestrians are often sharing the same space (if you ask the pedestrians they’ll tell you that the cyclists are the issue 😀). In Copenhagen the bike lanes are more separated from the pedestrians.
Compared to the US cities I’ve been in, Gothenburg would rank high as a bike friendly city.
Bike sharing program is available: https://styrochstall.se/en/

Outshoot Mantra

Reaction score
Have you ever been to Deutschneyland? Seems to me the location is somewhere in southern Sweden. I would sure like to visit there if I ever get to Sweden.
Do you mean from the movie "The Apple war"? I've been to the area where it was filmed, a part of southermost Sweden called Österlen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Österlen
Famous for it's orchards and historical artifacts from Iron Age and onward.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score

When is your trip? Mine is booked and set in June 2024. Fly into Stockholm, train to Copenhagen, fly into Bergen, then fly home.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
When is your trip? Mine is booked and set in June 2024. Fly into Stockholm, train to Copenhagen, fly into Bergen, then fly home.
We went in September and it was very successful. Stayed in Copenhagen 3 nights, Gothenburg, Sweden for 3 nights, and back to Copenhagen for 2 more. A lot of bicycle time in Denmark, loved that.

Enjoy your trip!

Top Bottom
1 2