Waiting for and/or enjoying my M1 Pro/Max MBP thread…

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now MR closed that thread for new replies, just as people were interacting with the author of the dumb benchmark and suggesting optimizations.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Back on topic, I just got the shipping notification for the offspring's M1 iMac.

The problem is it is supposed to be delivered on the 13th. She is coming home on the 9th. So I will need to see if I can get FedEx to hold it at the ramp and let me come pick it up.

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
Back on topic, I just got the shipping notification for the offspring's M1 iMac.

The problem is it is supposed to be delivered on the 13th. She is coming home on the 9th. So I will need to see if I can get FedEx to hold it at the ramp and let me come pick it up.
They usually let you redirect deliveries to a FedEx store.

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
Now MR closed that thread for new replies, just as people were interacting with the author of the dumb benchmark and suggesting optimizations.
I feel that "dumb benchmark" sells Stockfish short. In recent years it's been one of the strongest chess engines available to the general public. The two guys playing in the World Chess Championship right now, Magnus Carlsen and Ian Nepomniachtchi, probably both use it to analyze games during pre-game preparation.

Is it a good crossplatform benchmark, or well-optimized for M1? Nope and nope.

Also it's an old open source project so it's had dozens of contributors over the years. That one guy in the thread wasn't its sole (heh heh) author or anything.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I feel that "dumb benchmark" sells Stockfish short. In recent years it's been one of the strongest chess engines available to the general public. The two guys playing in the World Chess Championship right now, Magnus Carlsen and Ian Nepomniachtchi, probably both use it to analyze games during pre-game preparation.

Is it a good crossplatform benchmark, or well-optimized for M1? Nope and nope.

Also it's an old open source project so it's had dozens of contributors over the years. That one guy in the thread wasn't its sole (heh heh) author or anything.

“Dumb benchmark” means “dumb to use as a benchmark representing anything other than one particular chess algorithm.”

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
Can't believe how little power this thing draws relative to other machines

Here's my GPU power with a bunch of Safari tabs, teams, music, activity monitor, Firefox and an external 4k display connected - when I'm just reading as opposed to moving things around...

**** GPU usage ****

GPU active frequency: 13 MHz

GPU active residency: 3.11% (389 MHz: 2.8% 486 MHz: .08% 648 MHz: .03% 778 MHz: .22% 972 MHz: .02% 1296 MHz: 0%)

GPU requested frequency: (389 MHz: 2.7% 486 MHz: .04% 648 MHz: .05% 778 MHz: .20% 972 MHz: .10% 1296 MHz: 0%)

GPU idle residency: 96.89%

GPU Power: 15 mW

15 MILLIWATTs

😮

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
It's the iPhone heritage if you ask me. Working on that tight a power budget means that Apple's GPU and CPU designers have gotten really good at rapid power state transitions, and making sure the lowest-power active state provides enough oomph to be useful.

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
It's the iPhone heritage if you ask me. Working on that tight a power budget means that Apple's GPU and CPU designers have gotten really good at rapid power state transitions, and making sure the lowest-power active state provides enough oomph to be useful.

For sure.

And this is the way things always go.

Big machines - designed to be big machines get eaten from the bottom as performance vs. efficiency catches up to regular end user needs.

Desktop/server PC killed big iron (except for niche scenarios)
Laptop PC killed desktop PC for most people
Mobile killed laptop for many

The CPUs in these machine are as you say originally designed for the mobile market and have grown up from FAR more efficient roots.

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
It came a day early. :)

But no signature was required. The wife said they just ran the doorbell and left. :oops:
You should very carefully unpack it and set it up so that when she first starts it up, the desktop picture will be you staring intently out at her, then repack it so that it looks unopened.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
You should very carefully unpack it and set it up so that when she first starts it up, the desktop picture will be you staring intently out at her, then repack it so that it looks unopened.
I just got an M1 MBA to replace my daughter's decrepit old MBA (2011?) that no longer works. Giving it to her for christmas. She's 13. Think she'd appreciate a portrait of me as her desktop background?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Classic.

Might have to try that. Certainly would be a step up from changing her Netflix profile name.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I just got an M1 MBA to replace my daughter's decrepit old MBA (2011?) that no longer works. Giving it to her for christmas. She's 13. Think she'd appreciate a portrait of me as her desktop background?

I got a lot of crap from the extended family for buying her a refurb MBP for Christmas when she was 11, but it got her through 5.5 years of middle school and HS. I seriously doubt a Best Buy special HP or Dell or Acer would have survived 6 years and been as good the last day as it was the first. She gave it to a friend and last I heard it was still running fine.

Best part was her Keynote presentations looked much different than the stock PP presentations the rest of her classmates used. Teachers probably thought she just put more effort into them. ;)

My only worry about setting it up is she will see it on the Apple account. I made sure to not use our family me.com account to order it.

Top Bottom
1 2