What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
John Cho? Count me in! I’m not an anime fan, but somehow I know the stories of a lot of them.

I'm not either, but there are a few that are worth watching regardless. Cowboy Bebop is one of them, transcending the weebness inherent in the genre to become a true classic in every sense of the word.

...which is one of the reasons why I'm so suspicious of the live action adaptation. I mean, how could they do this scene justice without just ripping it off directly?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I'm not either, but there are a few that are worth watching regardless. Cowboy Bebop is one of them, transcending the weebness inherent in the genre to become a true classic in every sense of the word.

...which is one of the reasons why I'm so suspicious of the live action adaptation. I mean, how could they do this scene justice without just ripping it off directly?

Agree on Cowboy Bebop. It’s an incredible series. 26 episodes, all are less than 30 minutes. I highly recommend watching it - you can watch them for free on Tubi streaming… with only an ad or two at the halfway mark of each episode.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
A quick google search lead to some additional inconsistencies, some of which I'd also noticed like Trixie not being present at the deathbed, etc.
Yea, I wondered about that one, too. It would have been really easy to just bring in an older woman to play the part.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Frazier (1993-2004)- Great comedy series now on Prime Video!

A7214AFD-1B96-4B84-8607-FA96D4DCE3F4.jpeg

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I enjoyed the first episode of Star Wars Visions.

Straight play up of what inspired Star Wars, done in Star Wars. The Akira Kurosawa homage is great.

At 15 minutes, the episodes are great for my super short attention span.

1625745491_Star-Wars-Visions-Anime-Anthology-Reveals-Studio-Lineup-September-22.jpg

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
There‘s one old show I never get to watch and dearly want back: Northern Exposure. It’s never on anything. From what I’ve read, there’s a music rights issue, which sucks but WKRP (another great show) had similar issues and I’ve seen that on Hulu a number of times. They replace the good songs with generic shit but I’d rather suffer that than never see the show again.

That show inspired my 26 YO self to spend a summer in Alaska. I worked at a fish cannery in Egegik. Back in 1996, it was not a nice place. No police, medical facilities, and a lot of other things. I did not have the Northern Exposure experience I hoped for 🤣.

But it was an awesome summer nonetheless. We had trash bags over the windows because the sun barely left. It snowed at sea level in July. I showered several times over 3 months. I met some amazing people and some very scary ones. I kept in touch with some for 5 years or so after leaving but no longer unfortunately. I only have a few photos from a disposable camera to show for it.

Not certain if my facts are straight with why that show never streams but it’d certainly earn a whole new fan base if it ever does.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
There‘s one old show I never get to watch and dearly want back: Northern Exposure. It’s never on anything. From what I’ve read, there’s a music rights issue, which sucks but WKRP (another great show) had similar issues and I’ve seen that on Hulu a number of times. They replace the good songs with generic shit but I’d rather suffer that than never see the show again.

That show inspired my 26 YO self to spend a summer in Alaska. I worked at a fish cannery in Egegik. Back in 1996, it was not a nice place. No police, medical facilities, and a lot of other things. I did not have the Northern Exposure experience I hoped for 🤣.

But it was an awesome summer nonetheless. We had trash bags over the windows because the sun barely left. It snowed at sea level in July. I showered several times over 3 months. I met some amazing people and some very scary ones. I kept in touch with some for 5 years or so after leaving but no longer unfortunately. I only have a few photos from a disposable camera to show for it.

Not certain if my facts are straight with why that show never streams but it’d certainly earn a whole new fan base if it ever does.
My brother loves Alaska, goes there every summer for a couple weeks, is trying to talk his permanent girlfriend into moving there when he retires. I think the sales pitch involves spending the winters in Louisiana where she is from. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

It's pretty fantastic, and yeah, it's a notable omission on streaming services, I believe you're correct about the music, it was released on DVD in the US at some point, don't recall if the music was intact, I think the UK DVD release did have the original music.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That was a wonderful show. The characters were all just so interesting and likable.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We are really digging on Midnight Mass on Netflix, it’s a horror series by Mike Flanagan who made Haunting of Hill House / Bly House, and has done a few a few movies based on Stephen King material. Quite of a few of Flanagan's recurring collaborators, some common themes from his other shows, and certainly some very King-esque themes as well.

RT Critics Consensus (94%):

An ambitious meditation on grief and faith that is as gorgeous as it is unsettling, Midnight Mass's slow boil is a triumph of terror that will leave viewers shaking - and thinking - long after the credits roll.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score

The Internet Archive has a certain number of episodes.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We are really digging on Midnight Mass on Netflix, it’s a horror series by Mike Flanagan who made Haunting of Hill House / Bly House, and has done a few a few movies based on Stephen King material. Quite of a few of Flanagan's recurring collaborators, some common themes from his other shows, and certainly some very King-esque themes as well.

RT Critics Consensus (94%):

An ambitious meditation on grief and faith that is as gorgeous as it is unsettling, Midnight Mass's slow boil is a triumph of terror that will leave viewers shaking - and thinking - long after the credits roll.

It’s on my to watch list. I was reminded maybe incorrectly of Preacher (AMC).

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

I just came across that a few days ago and added it to my list.

Meanwhile I’ve started the new NBC show “La Brea” which is so Lost-like that in the pilot one of the characters states that he feels like they’re in an episode of Lost.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Incidentally, since @Edd and @DT brought it up, I hate hate hate when music is changed in a movie or TV series because of a rights issue.

Take the series Las Vegas, for example. It's virtually impossible to find the original opening credits with the Elvis/JXL theme. These magic hands did, however, manage to cobble together a reasonable facsimile:

Now--same video, but with the music they are currently using because they couldn't or wouldn't pay Elvis' estate for the DVD rights:

Nothing against the composer, but that second one is just blah.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I started Y: The Last Man today. Watched the first 5 episodes. OMG - what a great show. The plot is so much more than what happens with one guy. It is a political firestorm, and I would not recommend it for anyone who leans right for any reason.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I started Y: The Last Man today. Watched the first 5 episodes. OMG - what a great show. The plot is so much more than what happens with one guy. It is a political firestorm, and I would not recommend it for anyone who leans right for any reason.
I read the graphic novels - is this on Hulu? Maybe I should try the Disney bundle for a couple months, at least during hockey season.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I read the graphic novels - is this on Hulu? Maybe I should try the Disney bundle for a couple months, at least during hockey season.
Yep. Hulu original series based on the graphic novels. I never read them, but it has a graphic novel feel.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Incidentally, since @Edd and @DT brought it up, I hate hate hate when music is changed in a movie or TV series because of a rights issue.

Take the series Las Vegas, for example. It's virtually impossible to find the original opening credits with the Elvis/JXL theme. These magic hands did, however, manage to cobble together a reasonable facsimile:

Now--same video, but with the music they are currently using because they couldn't or wouldn't pay Elvis' estate for the DVD rights:

Nothing against the composer, but that second one is just blah.

That's a __fantastic__ example, I mean, the original has an energy that matches the visuals, it's classic, compelling, even lyrically complements the opening / vibe of the show.

Top Bottom
1 2