What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

I've been disappointed with both Discovery, and to a slightly lesser extent, Picard. They've both had their moments, but they don't quite feel like the Star Trek I used to know and love.

Enter Strange New Worlds. This is what I've been waiting for. A crew that feels both fun and profession. Lots of exploring the galaxy. Whole episodes dedicated to solving a problem. It is good.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

We started watching The Wilds on Prime, a charter jet headed for Hawaii with teenage girls headed to a exclusive summer program of somekind, the jet crashes, they end up floating in the ocean among debris near an island, most of them unharmed. What first struck me as a survival story, by the end of the first episode, becomes more of a Lost Scenario. Intriguing, but not sold on this yet. 85% @RT.
A cast of teenage girls? No thanks. That’s just too scary for me.
Did you watch The Outsider on HBOMax?
Oh man! That was a great show!
Enter Strange New Worlds. This is what I've been waiting for. A crew that feels both fun and profession. Lots of exploring the galaxy. Whole episodes dedicated to solving a problem. It is good.
We watched the first episode and I really REALLY enjoyed it. Then again, it’s a familiar cast of characters.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
We watched the first episode and I really REALLY enjoyed it. Then again, it’s a familiar cast of characters.

It's the second episode that really shines. It's about the closest we've got to classic Trek (TNG era) since the whole Star Trek revival began.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

I've been disappointed with both Discovery, and to a slightly lesser extent, Picard. They've both had their moments, but they don't quite feel like the Star Trek I used to know and love.

I disliked the decision of Discovery and Picard to stretch one story over an entire season. I prefer each episode to stand alone, while allowing for season-long story arcs. That is part of what I’ve enjoyed about Star Trek through the years.

And for Discovery, they ditched some of the most interesting characters from the first couple seasons.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I disliked the decision of Discovery and Picard to stretch one story over an entire season. I prefer each episode to stand alone, while allowing for season-long story arcs. That is part of what I’ve enjoyed about Star Trek through the years.

And for Discovery, they ditched some of the most interesting characters from the first couple seasons.

+1

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
A cast of teenage girls? No thanks. That’s just too scary for me.

Oh man! That was a great show!

Well they are 20 somethings playing teens and it’s not grim from that standpoint.. :) So far there is a spectrum of personalities, one of my favorites is the Bible thumper with good sense survival talent who mentions Jesus in every other sentence.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hahaha, yeah, I don't need to watch a teen drama / soap on TV ...
That is not how it comes across. It is a variety of personalities just like on any ensemble story, just like Lost, but not to label this another Lost this will be the third time I’ve seen this type of theme in a show.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
On Peacock: The Little House on the Prairie HD transfer that someone did turned out beautifully. I really enjoy watching this 70s stuff that just projected a vibe of pure decency. Recommend.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
6296D178-9542-4AD0-88D6-0E9754A32EC8.jpeg

The Night Manager (2016, Prime) Originally broadcast as a miniseries, there is talk of a Season 2. Ex-military Johnathan Pine works as a night manager and gets drawn into an effort to take down an international arms dealer. It’s a slow burn, but tense from start to finish with an explosive ending, and beautiful scenery, most excellent. You get to see the other side of Loki (Tom Hiddleston). Hugh Laurie makes an excellent villain. :)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

The Night Manager (2016, Prime) Originally broadcast as a miniseries, there is talk of a Season 2. Ex-military Johnathan Pine works as a night manager and gets drawn into an effort to take down an international arms dealer. It’s a slow burn, but tense from start to finish with an explosive ending, and beautiful scenery, most excellent. You get to see the other side of Loki (Tom Hiddleston). Hugh Laurie makes an excellent villain. :)
Another season would be wonderful. The original miniseries was stellar. Tom Hiddleston is just an amazing actor.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We Own This City
HBOMax
6 Episode Miniseries

The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 93% approval rating with an average rating of 8.4/10, based on 42 critic reviews. The website's critics consensus reads, "A spiritual successor to The Wire with an even more pessimistic outlook on law enforcement, We Own This City deftly explores compromised individuals to paint an overall picture of systemic corruption." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned a score of 84 out of 100 based on 22 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".

It's terrific, if you liked the Wire, get on this ASAP. Incredible cast doing superb work: Jon Bernthal, Wunmi Mosaku, Jamie Hector, Josh Charles, McKinley Belcher III (so many more), quite a few Wire alum, produced by creator of The Wire, David Simon.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Night Sky

Some of you won’t like it because it is verrrrry slow. On the other hand, it is a brilliant character study and the acting (JK Simmons and Cissy Spacek. The storyline is interesting, but is really only a backdrop to the characters.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Now that that Season 2 of Tehran was recently released on AppleTV+, we're watching a few episodes of Season 1 to jog our memory from when we binge watched that last year.

It's an outstanding series if you like espionage and international intrigue (Israel vs Iran) kind of movies. Great cinematography and overall it feels authentic.

I didn't see the first season so when the 2nd came to my attention I started at the beginning of Season 1. I'm liking it, looking foward to the 2nd season too, not making headway very fast since this is peak get-yer-garden-ready season in real life at the moment!

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
May 2022: Hot Dam Bosch is back, new series, Bosch: Legacy a direct continuation of the story watching on Prime, but it is listed as Freevee Network. Listed as an ad supported on demand streaming service, owned by Amazon. I noticed two 30 sec commercials during an episode. If this is the first time watching be sure you watch the first 7 seasons of Bosch first.

That was excellent. Everything about Legacy was tight. Sadly, we blew through it pretty quickly.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Night Sky

Some of you won’t like it because it is verrrrry slow. On the other hand, it is a brilliant character study and the acting (JK Simmons and Cissy Spacek. The storyline is interesting, but is really only a backdrop to the characters.

This seems really fun, two stellar actors and it just based on one preview I saw, it felt like a "nice" story about family, love, with a pretty neat sci-fi-esque concept.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
That was excellent. Everything about Legacy was tight. Sadly, we blew through it pretty quickly.
When we first watched Bosch, we had the luxury of drifting through 7 seasons at our leisure. 10 episode seasons suck…The season for Legacy is not over yet, correct? That’s another issue, I preferred it when a season was streamed/released in their entirety, but dribbled out to keep viewers on the hook.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2