What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Strange New Worlds is still managing to impress me. Last week's episode was a little on the weaker side, but the one I watched today was probably some of the best Trek I've seen since the 90's. It was damn good.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Strange New Worlds is still managing to impress me. Last week's episode was a little on the weaker side, but the one I watched today was probably some of the best Trek I've seen since the 90's. It was damn good.

It reminded me of the original series episode where the Romulans are introduced.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, Balance of Terror, one of the all time great episodes of any Trek series.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
It reminded me of the original series episode where the Romulans are introduced.

Shocking secret time: I've only watched one or two episodes of the original series. All of my early Trek experiences come from TNG, DS9, and the movies.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Shocking secret time: I've only watched one or two episodes of the original series. All of my early Trek experiences come from TNG, DS9, and the movies.

That's what I grew up with, but even revisiting in 2022, some episodes are still excellent (some are very clearly a product of their time ...). There's a remastered version where they've redone the FX shots, cleaned up from the original masters, the audio has been redone.

I'd highly recommend the EP above, Balance of Terror, it deals with racism, introduces the Romulans and it's an excellent take on subdued tactical action, it's basically a submarine story, in fact, it's more or less the '57 film, The Enemy Below.

The Doomsday Machine (really improved by the new FX), Space Seed ("KAAAAAAAAHHHN!"), of course, the Ellison EP, The City On The Edge Of Forever, Mirror/Mirror (aka, Spock with a goatee episode :D), a lot of the best episodes were written by the really good sci-fi writers of the time.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
That's what I grew up with, but even revisiting in 2022, some episodes are still excellent (some are very clearly a product of their time ...). There's a remastered version where they've redone the FX shots, cleaned up from the original masters, the audio has been redone.

I'd highly recommend the EP above, Balance of Terror, it deals with racism, introduces the Romulans and it's an excellent take on subdued tactical action, it's basically a submarine story, in fact, it's more or less the '57 film, The Enemy Below.

The Doomsday Machine (really improved by the new FX), Space Seed ("KAAAAAAAAHHHN!"), of course, the Ellison EP, The City On The Edge Of Forever, Mirror/Mirror (aka, Spock with a goatee episode :D), a lot of the best episodes were written by the really good sci-fi writers of the time.
I second these choices, and add Assignment: Earth and The Trouble with Tribbles. Gene Roddenberry told me he thought ST:TNG was better sci-fi than ST:TOS.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Man, that better call saul last night was great
Yes, it sure was. Did you watch Talking Saul right after? It was hard for Peter Gould and the actors to keep themselves from giving tips about the final six episodes, but I think we're in for a wild ride with many surprises.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, it sure was. Did you watch Talking Saul right after? It was hard for Peter Gould and the actors to keep themselves from giving tips about the final six episodes, but I think we're in for a wild ride with many surprises.
I didn’t watch it - had to be alone with my thoughts :)

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Watched both parts of HBO's documentary about George Carlin. Fascinating story, especially toward the end of his life. I was fortunate to see him perform once.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I second these choices, and add Assignment: Earth and The Trouble with Tribbles. Gene Roddenberry told me he thought ST:TNG was better sci-fi than ST:TOS.

Yeah, The Trouble with Tribbles is a fun episode, it's classic, a little goofy (in a good way), and you've got to love a good scrap instigated by Scotty. :D

I'm a big fan of Assignment: Earth, I know it usually doesn't make Top N lists for TOS, I just love the concept. There's a terrific Assignment: Earth comic/graphic novel by John Byrne (famous for X-Men among other titles), that actually has another TOS episode crossover (Tomorrow is Yesterday).

I like Wolf in the Fold quite a bit, again, not considered top tier by most (and some very "of the day" sort of perspectives on women), but I love the plot concept, and it was written by Robert Bloch (of Psycho fame), one of the few "horror" type episodes (Bloch wrote two other EPs that had a horror-esque type vibe)

Umm, when you say, "Gene Roddenberry told me ..." you mean directly? Like you met the man? Heck, that sounds like a story we need to hear :)

Watched both parts of HBO's documentary about George Carlin. Fascinating story, especially toward the end of his life. I was fortunate to see him perform once.

We have this queued up, loved Carlin, if I didn't know better I would say he was able to peer into the future ... it would've been amazing to see him perform live.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, The Trouble with Tribbles is a fun episode, it's classic, a little goofy (in a good way), and you've got to love a good scrap instigated by Scotty. :D

I'm a big fan of Assignment: Earth, I know it usually doesn't make Top N lists for TOS, I just love the concept. There's a terrific Assignment: Earth comic/graphic novel by John Byrne (famous for X-Men among other titles), that actually has another TOS episode crossover (Tomorrow is Yesterday).

I like Wolf in the Fold quite a bit, again, not considered top tier by most (and some very "of the day" sort of perspectives on women), but I love the plot concept, and it was written by Robert Bloch (of Psycho fame), one of the few "horror" type episodes (Bloch wrote two other EPs that had a horror-esque type vibe)

Umm, when you say, "Gene Roddenberry told me ..." you mean directly? Like you met the man? Heck, that sounds like a story we need to hear :)

We have this queued up, loved Carlin, if I didn't know better I would say he was able to peer into the future ... it would've been amazing to see him perform live.
I was Gene's guest at the studio. Had a great time.

I'll never forget Carlin's performance — he did the bit about words and thoughts, the famous one about seven words, and the one about a house being a place to put your stuff, among others.

One thing you'll see when you watch the HBO documentary is how many comedians he influenced. IMO, his strongest material was in the later stages of his career, when he called BS on pretty much everyone and everything, though some of it was too dark even for my taste near the very end.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Watched the first two episodes of the new season of Stranger Things and this show does not disappoint. I won't give anything away but it's really well written and captures the feel and memories of 80s so well and the whole Nightmare on Elm St twisted theme really works IMO.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Watched the first two episodes of the new season of Stranger Things and this show does not disappoint. I won't give anything away but it's really well written and captures the feel and memories of 80s so well and the whole Nightmare on Elm St twisted theme really works IMO.

We did too!

Hahaha, first we watched Man of Recaps for a refresher on S1-3 :D Then went right into it, and wow, it's much scarier, darker, I guess just like the kids, it's more "grown up".

I don't know if you noticed the runtime, but S1 was 1:18, and S2 was 1:17, and giving them that extra time made them feel much more like a film vs. an episodic show.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had to finish Night Sky. I probably won’t get to Stranger Things for another week. My daughter is coming in this afternoon to spend the week, and we’re going to binge The Flight Attendant.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I probably won’t get to Stranger Things for another week.

Holy shit, it's excellent, I'm actually a bit shocked. I liked S1-3, but now it feels like that was just a setup for S4 :D We finished it yesterday, they did a great job at handling the three separate plots, and then the convergence of everything into the big reveal, JFC, that was just fantastic.

And the concept of the Hellfire Club from the X-Comics, wow, did they nail that, first as a bunch of a geeks playing D&D and then as a very direct callback to the comics, and speaking of, can the horror callbacks get any better?

Nope.

Also this, which I can't love enough ...

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1530656428322607104/

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Holy shit, it's excellent, I'm actually a bit shocked. I liked S1-3, but now it feels like that was just a setup for S4 :D We finished it yesterday, they did a great job at handling the three separate plots, and then the convergence of everything into the big reveal, JFC, that was just fantastic.

And the concept of the Hellfire Club from the X-Comics, wow, did they nail that, first as a bunch of a geeks playing D&D and then as a very direct callback to the comics, and speaking of, can the horror callbacks get any better?

Nope.

Also this, which I can't love enough ...

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1530656428322607104/
Binged it over the weekend, IMO the best of all the seasons. So well written and a great plot line the entire way through, was worth keeping Netflix for, the Duffer brothers really delivered.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I snuck in episode 1 yesterday. Wow! But honestly, I can do without Kate Bush. I never cared for her.

Top Bottom
1 2