What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Season 2 changes not only cast, but venue. The White Lotus is a hotel chain, with properties all over the world.

The fun part is trying to guess out of all those noxious people (employees and guests) who is the body in episode 1, and what happened to the person. It’s great fun. Kinda like a big game of Clue.
My favorite part of season 1 was the battle of wits between the hotel manager and that douchebag guest. I think I may prefer season 2 more, but it’s pretty close.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My favorite part of season 1 was the battle of wits between the hotel manager and that douchebag guest. I think I may prefer season 2 more, but it’s pretty close.
I loved the hotel manager in season 1. The douche got what he had coming.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Season 2 changes not only cast, but venue. The White Lotus is a hotel chain, with properties all over the world.

The fun part is trying to guess out of all those noxious people (employees and guests) who is the body in episode 1, and what happened to the person. It’s great fun. Kinda like a big game of Clue.
Ref: White Lotus (HBO)
Season 1 is not that long, 6 episodes. I spent the entire season waiting for something to happen which is revealed in the first scene at the airport after it’s over. How I was manipulated! ;) The story is a flashback of the previous week at a resort in Hawaii.

I assumed as I imagine everyone did, that the person who had died was not who I expected it to be... :D

It is listed as a comedy-drama. I would remove “comedy”, S1 struck me as a drama, with some humorous aspects and tragedy. I would describe the story, having not seen the second season, as a character interaction, group psychological study for anyone who is thinking about watching. It is focused on 2 families, and a woman “on vacation” to spread her mother’s ashes. As the saying goes, they are all well to do. Then there is the hotel manager trying to stay on the wagon, while pleasing his guests, one in particular a royal pain in his ass.

Nothing spectacular happens, it can legitimately be described as slow, until the end, and then it ends. :) So IMO to like this, you have to become vested in the characters, their relationships, their approach and observations based on their positions in life, fortunes or misfortunes, privilege or lack there of. The writing is excellent, and although this is not normally what I would watch, I kept going because it was interesting enough, and I was waiting for the hook revealed in Episode 1.

We will be watching Season 2. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Harry and Meghan (2022 Netflix docu-series)- Excellent and balanced. The topic is highly charged. Imo Meghan has been a victim of the British tabloids, and as a result, there is a group of UK citizens who appear to hate her guts possibly based mostly on exaggerations and outright falsehoods. My wife spars with them on Facebook on a weekly basis. :)

I would also image racism, zenophobia, immigration issues, & nationalism plays a part, although I also believe she is not disliked by all, loved (as much as strangers can love a famous personality), and loved/liked but dissapointed by some because of the couples decision to bail on the caustic environment they found themselves in. And others who don’t blame them, including myself and like the couple without conditions. They appear to be decent people.

And why should she be hated? …other than she did not always follow protocol, heinously stole one of our princes away, and she’s a mixed breed, and our monarchy is lily white.. :unsure:

The Second 3 episodes dropped- they have a case, I’d argue they made their case. 🤔

My observation is that they did not want out, nor demand privacy. Well, they did demand a certain amount of privacy, but the context must be considered. Both of them were used to media attention, but it was the vitriolic approach of the British tabloids which intensified the lies and harsh treatment, paparazzi crawling through their shrubbery, non-stop observation from helos and boats with the intent of formulating the next attack was non-stop, made that kind of attention unbearable.

Then there was the refusal of the Crown to push back on their behalf regarding the inaccuracies and outright lies, nor work with the couple, led to the split. In the words of Meghan Markle, and her perspective of how the Crown was dealing with the situation "I wasn't being thrown to the wolves. I was being fed to the wolves.” And Harry, who saw what happened to his Mother and how unhappy she was, and she was home grown.

If you want to understand the dynamics from the horse’s mouth, this series is a must view. As a generality, you’ll never get an accurate picture from the British tabloids.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Ref: The White Lotus (HBO)
I enjoyed Tanya much more for Season 2! :)

We loved it. For this type of story, a drama, with infrequent humorous elements, the writing is as good as it gets IMO. It was because I was vested in the characters, in some ways a similar feeling to a good soap opera, I wanted to see what happens next.

I agree. In both seasons, it starts with a body (or more) and then it rolls back a week and the audience at least me, spends the entire story contemplating on who is it that ends up dead. In both cases I was surprised, but in the second season, I had no clue at the start, but as the story develops I got a better idea, but the end still surprised me. :D

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
The Second 3 episodes dropped- they have a case, I’d argue they made their case. 🤔

My observation is that they did not want out, nor demand privacy. Well, they did demand a certain amount of privacy, but the context must be considered. Both of them were used to media attention, but it was the vitriolic approach of the British tabloids which intensified the lies and harsh treatment, paparazzi crawling through their shrubbery, non-stop observation from helos and boats with the intent of formulating the next attack was non-stop, made that kind of attention unbearable.

Then there was the refusal of the Crown to push back on their behalf regarding the inaccuracies and outright lies, nor work with the couple, led to the split. In the words of Meghan Markle, and her perspective of how the Crown was dealing with the situation "I wasn't being thrown to the wolves. I was being fed to the wolves.” And Harry, who saw what happened to his Mother and how unhappy she was, and she was home grown.

If you want to understand the dynamics from the horse’s mouth, this series is a must view. As a generality, you’ll never get an accurate picture from the British tabloids.
I agree. The series did a good job illustrating what Harry and Meghan endured at the hands of the press. Sure, some will say they, as wealthy people of privilege, they should not have complained publicly. But it wasn't just invasions of their privacy that put them and their children at risk, it was their extended family and friends, too. I can't imagine what it must have been like to have had helicopters and drones circling above, photographers in boats and bushes, and not had any support from the institutional royal family.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ref: The White Lotus (HBO)
I enjoyed Tanya much more for Season 2! :)

We loved it. For this type of story, a drama, with infrequent humorous elements, the writing is as good as it gets IMO. It was because I was vested in the characters, in some ways a similar feeling to a good soap opera, I wanted to see what happens next.

I agree. In both seasons, it starts with a body (or more) and then it rolls back a week and the audience at least me, spends the entire story contemplating on who is it that ends up dead. In both cases I was surprised, but in the second season, I had no clue at the start, but as the story develops I got a better idea, but the end still surprised me. :D
More:
White Lotus Season 2 Plot Spoiler- “trust” and infidelity, do what you have to do to survive

Besides the plot elephant in the story which I’ll avoid talking about, I found that the Season 2 dynamic between “trust” and infidelity between this couple, Harper and Ethan was intriguing the way it was presented to the audience with a basis for truth in human psychology at least for some people. In this case the solution, provided by the other couple’s wife Daphne who knows her husband (Cameron) cheats, (it’s possible she cheats to) says to Ethan ”do what you have to do to survive”.

This is presented in a clever way, the audience sees what goes on with the husbands when their wives go off by themselves for a 24 hr period to shop in a nearby town, but most of the rest is left to conjecture.

Cameron cheats with 2 hookers in Ethan’s room, but Ethan resists the temptation. However, when the girls return from shopping, Harper finds a condom wrapper on the couch, asks Ethan a bunch of times what happened, Ethan lies and says nothing happened, and when the wrapper is produced, he relents and gives up Cameron, but insists he did not engage, which is true. However, Harper does not believe him and is in a foul mood.

Then when there is an opportunity for Harper to “get even” she hangs out with Cameron, they go up to their adjoining rooms, Ethan gets suspicious, goes up to find the door of his room bolted, pounds on the door until it is opened by Harper. Ethan finds the door to the adjoining room ajar. Suspecting her, he presses, she says nothing happened, but finally admits that Cameron had kissed her. Now Ethan is pissed as he imagines they had more time than for just a kiss, and he fumes, especially when Harper, no longer glum, is now acting happy.

Daphne alone with Ethan on the beach sees he is troubled, asks, and after Ethan tells her, she drops the line “do what you have to do to survive”, and then suggests they go check out an island together. We don’t see what happens on the island, but Ethan is happy after they return. So the audience is left to imagine exactly what happened there. :)

The psychological dynamic portrayed is the suspicion of being cheated on, being unhappy, but after “getting even” by engaging in your own dalliance, you can get beyond your what-if suspicions about your partner. :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Warrior Nun (2020-2022 Netflix)- A young woman wakes up in the morgue alive…what a premise! :D Four episodes in and still watching. The Series went from No.1 on Netflix, to canceled because not enough viewers watched Season 2 or so it is reported.

5B922641-700E-4BFC-B4E3-738069BAB7BB.jpeg
Some Bad ass nuns ready to slap you with a ruler! ;)

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Warrior Nun (2020-2022 Netflix)- A young woman wakes up in the morgue alive…what a premise! :D Four episodes in and still watching. The Series went from No.1 on Netflix, to canceled because not enough viewers watched Season 2 or so it is reported.
That’s probably true. I got halfway through season 2 and suddenly thought…no. I’ve had enough of this storyline.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Why did I think the warrior nuns would employ a special martial art centered on slapping adversaries on the back of their hands with a ruler?
In my previous life, I spent my 3rd year of elementary school at a private, non-Catholic Prep School in downtown DC, 2 blocks from the White House, and I got my hand rapped with a three sided ruler for being late one day… this was when we lived in SE DC, and I as a third grader, I walked to the city bus stop, and rode it downtown by myself.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
In my previous life, I spent my 3rd year of elementary school at a private, non-Catholic Prep School in downtown DC, 2 blocks from the White House, and I got my hand rapped with a three sided ruler for being late one day… this was when we lived in SE DC, and I as a third grader, I walked to the city bus stop, and rode it downtown by myself.
Times have changed. My mother and her little brother used to take the bus to school on their own right up through high school when Mother went to Anacostia.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Times have changed. My mother and her little brother used to take the bus to school on their own right up through high school when Mother went to Anacostia.
I went to Anacostia Elementary for several years, walked there too, probably a mile or so. :)

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Binged Jack Ryan season 3 over two nights. Kind of like watching a cousin style to James Bond with all the intrigue and plot twists. Mike November played by Michael Kelly, is outstanding as his sidekick. Love how he spouts off his droll one liners. I'm bummed it's already over and that season 4 will apparently be the last with John Krasinski. I really enjoyed it.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
MASH on Hulu. Rewatching the whole series and I’m on season 3. I devoured this show as a kid and it still holds up. It was so far ahead of its time.

What‘s hitting me different now are the performances of Gary Burghoff as Radar and Jamie Farr as Klinger. They’re funnier somehow.

Radar and Henry Blake have to be in the top 10 for comedic duos on TV, they did many intricate scenes requiring fine timing. Seems like Broadway level stuff.

Klinger, at least in the early seasons, gets a surprising number of killer lines for a recurring character. And Farr delivers the performance with such gusto. In the mid-70s, I’d imagine it’s a bit tough for a dude to wear women’s clothes full time in front of an enormous TV audience but he commits fully and nails it.

FYI, it’s remastered in HD on Hulu.
Still on this and I’ve arrived at season 11 (the last). Please direct any MASH-related inquiries my way. I presume I’m the foremost MASH expert in North America, possibly the world.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Still on this and I’ve arrived at season 11 (the last). Please direct any MASH-related inquiries my way. I presume I’m the foremost MASH expert in North America, possibly the world.
M*A*S*H will always be at or near the top of my list of favorites. IMO, it's one of the few examples where the small screen version surpassed the film on which it was based. As the seasons progressed, and characters like Henry Blake and Frank Burns departed, episodes increasingly took on serious topics, though the underlying humor was still there. The brief scene where Radar announces Henry's death to a stunned OR staff remains one of the best in television history. I was disappointed by the post-M*A*S*H spinoffs, which I don't think came close.

Top Bottom
1 2