What are you doing today?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
It was one beer (I was driving), and I was home by 9.

And you were still wrecked?

My sympathies.

But I am delighted that - nevertheless - you did enjoy it.

These day, I find that when sipping beer, I usually consume two beers, and then have had enough; three is exceptionally unusual. Anything more than two, and I tend to feel it the following day.

Gosh, I do recall student days (and indeed, my teaching days); three beers were next to nothing, while five beers were just a good night out!

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
And you were still wrecked?

My sympathies.

But I am delighted that - nevertheless - you did enjoy it.

These day, I find that when sipping beer, I usually consume two beers, and then have had enough; three is exceptionally unusual. Anything more than two, and I tend to feel it the following day.

Gosh, I do recall student days (and indeed, my teaching days); three beers were next to nothing, while five beers were just a good night out!
It’s very rare I’m not driving so one is my limit. But the mood I’m in of late that’s probably just as well.
Currently just finishing work. Getting really fed up with these hours.

U

User.45

Lying in bed with fever after the second Astra-Zeneca shot.
Acetaminophen (Tylenol (R)) or Paracetamol (Panadol (R)), depending where you live. It's good for the joint/muscle pain too. 1000mg every 6 hours as needed. Never exceed 4 grams a day.

And welcome to the club:) I took 3 grams of Tylenol for 2 days for the second dose. Never taken this much in my life.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Working on learning a new Rush song on guitar in between meetings and that's usually a project in itself, I like some of their more obscure mathy stuff, keeps me focused.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Took my wife to Longhorn today. Only the second time since our immunizations we've eaten indoors at a restaurant.

It was every big as good as I remembered it, especially the Wild West Shrimp.

We also took an order to-go for my sister-in-law, and had to deliver it to her in a pouring rain.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Took my wife to Longhorn today. Only the second time since our immunizations we've eaten indoors at a restaurant.

It was every big as good as I remembered it, especially the Wild West Shrimp.

We also took an order to-go for my sister-in-law, and had to deliver it to her in a pouring rain.
Nice! We've gone out to eat twice now, the freedom to be able to do things like this again is so liberating.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
A couple of weeks ago when I was at the mall to buy my iPhone 12 Pro I passed by one of my favorite restaurants and thought, "oh, yes, I can treat myself to a meal there again!" but after having made the purchase at the Apple store I had my mind on that transaction and what I'd be doing to set up the new device at home, etc., and walked right on out to the parking garage, totally forgetting about the restaurant. A few days later I was back at the mall, this time to go to the AT&T corporate store to get a 5G SIM card and to make adjustments to my cell phone plan and once more the thought of having a meal at that restaurant flitted through my mind, and again I totally forgot about it and upon leaving the AT&T store headed right out to the car...... It actually felt quite strange both times to even be at the mall in the first place, since it had been well over a year. It was both oddly familiar and yet different, too. Maybe I'm just not quite back in the "oh, while I'm here at the mall, might as well have a nice meal and I won't have to cook this evening" mode and frame of mind that was so common in the before times, the pre- pandemic days..... This re-emergence back into what we used to take for granted and consider "normal" is an interesting process, isn't it?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I can relate to that, I practically forget about options from "before" to pick up the phone and say "let's have lunch"....

But I haven't got my immunizations yet, thanks initially to living in a rural area and now to some questions about three allergies I supposedly have (but which were all designated as such out of an abundance of caution after a bad reaction to either an antibiotic and/or one or the other of the two local anesthestics at an excursion to a dentist). That's to be sorted out now with some specific tests to firm up what the issues were or are. Whatever. Time passes and eventually I'll get summoned for that labwork and then my shots, hopefully this month.

When I do think about the prospect of getting together again with friends and family though I'm all fired up about it. There's a great place about 7 miles from here that has fabulous middle eastern foods, and hopefully the diner about 40 miles from here where family members converge now and then for a lingering catch-up lunch with each other has managed to survive the pandemic by turning into a takeout establishment.

It's weird though how sometimes in conversations with pals or family members we don't even mention the prospect of getting together, it's been so long that our chats have focused on what we've been up to in solo mode instead! I won't mind when that changes back to how it used to be.

But I can see having experiences like the ones you mentioned if I were out and about these days on my own. The human brain is interesting in that regard, it's happy not to bother with any omitted bits of all our activities that it regards as highly optional anyway. All the easier to focus on what it cares about which is pretty much just the basics of heart and lung operation plus basic mobility / balance issues if we insist on getting up and moving around. :sneaky:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Going out to eat or drink 2-3 times a year is pretty much as good as it gets for me pre pandemic, so hardly noticed the difference. We don’t have people visit our home, or go visit other people’s. Probably why I get so wound up by the constant moaning of people saying they didn’t get a foreign holiday this year or whatever. Who cares? I’ve had one 4 day break abroad in the last 20 odd years. I’ve not had a U.K. break for more than a decade. Just work, work, work.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Lying in bed with fever after the second Astra-Zeneca shot.

A couple of weeks ago when I was at the mall to buy my iPhone 12 Pro I passed by one of my favorite restaurants and thought, "oh, yes, I can treat myself to a meal there again!" but after having made the purchase at the Apple store I had my mind on that transaction and what I'd be doing to set up the new device at home, etc., and walked right on out to the parking garage, totally forgetting about the restaurant. A few days later I was back at the mall, this time to go to the AT&T corporate store to get a 5G SIM card and to make adjustments to my cell phone plan and once more the thought of having a meal at that restaurant flitted through my mind, and again I totally forgot about it and upon leaving the AT&T store headed right out to the car...... It actually felt quite strange both times to even be at the mall in the first place, since it had been well over a year. It was both oddly familiar and yet different, too. Maybe I'm just not quite back in the "oh, while I'm here at the mall, might as well have a nice meal and I won't have to cook this evening" mode and frame of mind that was so common in the before times, the pre- pandemic days..... This re-emergence back into what we used to take for granted and consider "normal" is an interesting process, isn't it?

I can relate to that, I practically forget about options from "before" to pick up the phone and say "let's have lunch"....

But I haven't got my immunizations yet, thanks initially to living in a rural area and now to some questions about three allergies I supposedly have (but which were all designated as such out of an abundance of caution after a bad reaction to either an antibiotic and/or one or the other of the two local anesthestics at an excursion to a dentist). That's to be sorted out now with some specific tests to firm up what the issues were or are. Whatever. Time passes and eventually I'll get summoned for that labwork and then my shots, hopefully this month.

When I do think about the prospect of getting together again with friends and family though I'm all fired up about it. There's a great place about 7 miles from here that has fabulous middle eastern foods, and hopefully the diner about 40 miles from here where family members converge now and then for a lingering catch-up lunch with each other has managed to survive the pandemic by turning into a takeout establishment.

It's weird though how sometimes in conversations with pals or family members we don't even mention the prospect of getting together, it's been so long that our chats have focused on what we've been up to in solo mode instead! I won't mind when that changes back to how it used to be.

But I can see having experiences like the ones you mentioned if I were out and about these days on my own. The human brain is interesting in that regard, it's happy not to bother with any omitted bits of all our activities that it regards as highly optional anyway. All the easier to focus on what it cares about which is pretty much just the basics of heart and lung operation plus basic mobility / balance issues if we insist on getting up and moving around. :sneaky:
I can so relate to this.

On the rare occasions when I am out, whenever I pass coffee shops (and I love coffee shops, they are a civilising influence in an urban space and I used to enjoy endless cups of coffee and terrific chats with each of my parents in pleasant cafés once they had retired, even when I was at home), my thoughts are whether I have sufficient coffee at home, not whether I should stop, pause, take stock, and treat myself to a relaxing cup of coffee while savouring coffee, people, what my mother used to refer to as "the passing parade of life".

Not to mention pubs, restaurants, galleries, bookshops....and indeed, foreign travel. Last year was the first time in around thirty years that I haven't been abroad.

They hardly cross my mind, yet I love them.

But, that was "before" (Covid) and this is now.

Actually, it is amazing what you can adapt to, and what becomes your new normal. And, I, too, do wonder whether it will be possible to recapture a version of one's old life, but I suspect that the challenge, instead, will be to craft an even "newer normal", some sort of fusion that allows for a reclamation of some elements of past lives while navigating an altered and utterly transformed present.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 199

Actually, it is amazing what you can adapt to, and what becomes your new normal. And, I, too, do wonder whether it will be possible to recapture a version of one's old life, but I suspect that the challenge, instead, will be to craft an even "newer normal", some sort of fusion that allows for a reclamation of some elements of past lives while navigating an altered and utterly transformed present.

Theres obviously a personal aspect to it, but in general I think we look back at how we did things at a previous point (not even related to the current apocalypse) and tend to remember a lot of the positives, and our mind (or mine at least) filters out the changes that have come in life since then, so unless you really focus on the reality of a given past event in the current situation, it just seems like "ah those were the days", and there's less often the thought of "welp, shit, that isn't gonna happen any more because <X>".

We're currently planning (as in, we've decided we have to do it, just haven't got a concrete date yet) to move from LOS back to Australia. The type of life we'll be living when we return compared to when we left there nearly 9 years ago (and likely close to if not more than 10 by the time we get it all organised) will be quite radically different, I'd say. Not necessarily worse or better, just different.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Theres obviously a personal aspect to it, but in general I think we look back at how we did things at a previous point (not even related to the current apocalypse) and tend to remember a lot of the positives, and our mind (or mine at least) filters out the changes that have come in life since then, so unless you really focus on the reality of a given past event in the current situation, it just seems like "ah those were the days", and there's less often the thought of "welp, shit, that isn't gonna happen any more because <X>".

We're currently planning (as in, we've decided we have to do it, just haven't got a concrete date yet) to move from LOS back to Australia. The type of life we'll be living when we return compared to when we left there nearly 9 years ago (and likely close to if not more than 10 by the time we get it all organised) will be quite radically different, I'd say. Not necessarily worse or better, just different.

No, not quite.

"Welp, shit" is very much at the fore of my mind, too, - and I think that navigating, or shaping, the changed contours of our culture, lives, loves and world will present a considerable challenge - for I have never been one of those "those were the days" people, not least because I am a woman, and I am also someone who takes politics (as a means of achieving consensual and progressive political and socio-economic change) very seriously - who lives, eats, breathes, thinks politics - and who has always voted "progressive", I cannot not see the unfairness, inequalities, injustice, imperfections and flaws of our society, without wanting to engage in what sometimes seems like a constant battle to try to change them for the better.

As a woman (and I'm very much aware that as a white, middle class woman I have had - and enjoyed - advantages, opportunities, experiences and life chances denied to many, if not most others, on this planet of ours), I'd never want to see a return to the world of my - and perhaps this is just personal perspective - youth, teens or early adulthood.

Notwithstanding that, however, I think it is more that you remember the positives of the life you were privileged to live, (while not denying the rest), and may regret, or salute, its passing.

I've always loved travelling, and loved to see, and explore new countries, cultures, societies, and worlds, and, over the course of the past three decades, I have been privileged to work in three continents.

I regret that this - international travel (for personal and/or professional reasons) - is not possible at the moment, but I do have a well stocked memory bank, which I can visit at will.

However, I think that were I a young person, living and enduring in current Covid conditions, longing to see the world, alive with fascination, devoured by curiosity, hungering for knowledge, yet unable to travel, that I would find this to be both deeply depressing and profoundly frustrating.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
We are going to look at a car today. Now that I’ve made my mind up about getting a hybrid. For some reason my husband is pushing it. This is new for him as he spent his life not spending money on anything. Will post results this afternoon.
Let us know how it turns out. My next car is going to be fully electric, still two years out but am hopeful we'll have more options out there by then.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm past point of getting another vehicle but if that were not the case I'd be in the mode of reminding myself that sticker shock was something I overcame when it was time to spring for the early Macs... i think i paid more for a Powerbook 170 than I did for one of my new-to-me cars back then, and that laptop only had an 80Mb drive in it.

But the price of new cars in general has always been a wonderment to me, so I know I'd have my work cut out trying to talk myself into a hybrid or all electric at current prices. It doesn't help that I bought my fixer-upper house here back in the mid 80s for less than the price of a low-end new car even then.

My whole idea of what is a big pile of dough has always been off kilter that way I guess. LOL somehow it didn't stop me from dropping a stack of money on an iPhone last time out that box. But there's still no rust on my XR.. :love:

Top Bottom
1 2