What are you doing today?

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got a good 16 mile run in. It was hot though. Completely sunny, no clouds. Luckily running through the park there's lots of shade but I still had a few stretches that had no shade, all sun.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dunno why, but I'm the same as you, weekends are usually my least favourite days. Hopefully the rain'll clear up soon. :)
I needed to make a doctor’s appointment the other day and thought, damn..they’re closed on the weekend. Then I realized it was Wednesday. Now it’s Sunday and I don’t want to go places because everyone is all over on the weekend.
finally get to go to the movies for the first time since covid started.
What did you see?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
It’s raining. The birds are delighted, but I can’t share their enthusiasm. I’m at the point where I dislike weekends.

Wow... ?! Only because of the rain? Or just in general?

In retirement I soon enough ditched getting those old Sunday-night blues (thinking about workday Mondays), because of course I'm not reporting to a boss now on weekdays. But there's no way even now that I can foresee disliking weekends. I still make distinctions between what I do on weekdays and on the weekend, and try to shove disliked chores into the Mon-Fri slots. I still welcome Friday nights as though I'd just put in an 80-hour workweek!

If we're talking about disliking rainy weekends though, yeah... and I felt really badly last weekend for all the folks who came up to the Catskills for the traditional opening-up of their seasonal residences over Memorial Day. It quit raining here sometime only on the Monday holiday itself and was still just partly sunny as people headed back downstate that afternoon. File under: totally exasperating!

Also, my second try at getting some bush bean seeds started (they don't like being transplanted) got washed out over the holiday, to the point where I saw two crows walking along in the muddy pathway between garden squares, harvesting the hapless inch-high sprouts. The artificial scarecrow I put out there every year (a stick figure bearing a mobile-like strung-up selection of very shiny and hopefully scary old AOL software CDs, yeah!) had meanwhile fallen over in the mud and I didn't even bother to go out there and yell at those crows. I actually admired their tenacity, since they were enduring a serious scrubdown from the pelting rain while freeloading their veggie lunch.

Well this weekend is different so the bush beans got reseeded for a third go. Hopefully they'll get a better leg up before the next round of attention from the t-storm gods. My catbird is back and the crows are wary of him or her for some reason, so that should help the beans too.

D

Deleted member 199

Today was a pretty lazy day, ordered yet more stuff for the shed, and killed half a rain forrest in paper to apply for a new visa, because I'm a dirty foreigner and can't be trusted for more than 12 months at a time apparently.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
It's H O T here!!! Somewhat muggy, too. <whiiine> 92° !!!! Not used to this! Started the day by having doors and windows open but then succumbed to reality as the outdoors and the indoors both heated up, closing everything, and put on the A/C. Ahhhhhh.....Coolth! Bliss!!! Another benefit of having the windows and doors closed is that it keeps out that infernal noise of the cicadas.

At least this summer we have the option of going to the pool, unlike last year. However.....as a couple of you have mentioned, I'm another who does not like to go out-and-about on weekends, because everyone else is out there, too. I was that way prior to the pandemic but now I'm even more so. Let the people who are at work all week have their chance to shop, run errands, do whatever and I will take care of all that during the week when they're busy earning their living. The same applies to the pool, and although I can't see from here I'm guessing that there are a fair number of folks over there baking in the sun and occasionally dipping into the water to cool off. I'll wait until during this coming week and then go over there for my first swim of the season. Actually, today is almost too hot to be out in the sun anyway. It seems that as I am getting older I am becoming more sensitive to changes in temperature and particularly to extremes, whether it be too hot or too cold. I like being warm, and I like being cool, but, hey, there's limits to that on each end!

Spent a little time out on the deck experimenting with an idea I had for shooting something with my new lens, and then had an unexpected visitor (NOT a cicada! NOT a bird! NOT a squirrel!) land on the deck railing and hang out for a while so I got a couple of shots of him, too, but DUH, didn't think to run in the house and grab the macro lens, which would've been a good idea, as that really was a more appropriate lens for capturing him than the one I had on the camera. Never fails -- first time in a long time I've had the opportunity for a good shot of a dragonfly and I have a wide angle lens on the camera! LOL!

Now relaxing with a glass of the lovely "Blushing Monk," such a delicious raspberry/fruity beer that is limited by its maker, Founders, so not always available for purchase and enjoyment. . As it happens, I'd apparently bought this bottle some time ago (last year? 2019?) and one day recently when I was cleaning out the refrigerator I found it tucked away in the very back of the bottom rack so promptly brought it out and put it on a shelf with better visibility and waited for the right day, the right time, to savor and enjoy it..... Mmmmmmmmm......

Keeping my eye on the hydrangea bush out at the front of my building as the blossoms continue to develop and hopefully in another day or so will burst into full, wonderful color. and be ready for their photo session. Many years ago a neighbor who no longer lives here came home from some sort of gathering with this little hydrangea thingy that she'd been given and asked if any of us minded if she planted it in front of the building. We all said, "sure, go ahead!" Years later we who live here now, us old-timers and the newer residents, are enjoying the results as that very hardy bush that looked so tiny and fragile in the beginning has given us beautiful flowers year after year and also provided nice greenery the rest of the time.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
It's H O T here!!! Somewhat muggy, too. <whiiine> 92° !!!! Not used to this! Started the day by having doors and windows open but then succumbed to reality as the outdoors and the indoors both heated up, closing everything, and put on the A/C. Ahhhhhh.....Coolth! Bliss!!! Another benefit of having the windows and doors closed is that it keeps out that infernal noise of the cicadas.

At least this summer we have the option of going to the pool, unlike last year. However.....as a couple of you have mentioned, I'm another who does not like to go out-and-about on weekends, because everyone else is out there, too. I was that way prior to the pandemic but now I'm even more so. Let the people who are at work all week have their chance to shop, run errands, do whatever and I will take care of all that during the week when they're busy earning their living. The same applies to the pool, and although I can't see from here I'm guessing that there are a fair number of folks over there baking in the sun and occasionally dipping into the water to cool off. I'll wait until during this coming week and then go over there for my first swim of the season. Actually, today is almost too hot to be out in the sun anyway. It seems that as I am getting older I am becoming more sensitive to changes in temperature and particularly to extremes, whether it be too hot or too cold. I like being warm, and I like being cool, but, hey, there's limits to that on each end!

Spent a little time out on the deck experimenting with an idea I had for shooting something with my new lens, and then had an unexpected visitor (NOT a cicada! NOT a bird! NOT a squirrel!) land on the deck railing and hang out for a while so I got a couple of shots of him, too, but DUH, didn't think to run in the house and grab the macro lens, which would've been a good idea, as that really was a more appropriate lens for capturing him than the one I had on the camera. Never fails -- first time in a long time I've had the opportunity for a good shot of a dragonfly and I have a wide angle lens on the camera! LOL!

Now relaxing with a glass of the lovely "Blushing Monk," such a delicious raspberry/fruity beer that is limited by its maker, Founders, so not always available for purchase and enjoyment. . As it happens, I'd apparently bought this bottle some time ago (last year? 2019?) and one day recently when I was cleaning out the refrigerator I found it tucked away in the very back of the bottom rack so promptly brought it out and put it on a shelf with better visibility and waited for the right day, the right time, to savor and enjoy it..... Mmmmmmmmm......

Keeping my eye on the hydrangea bush out at the front of my building as the blossoms continue to develop and hopefully in another day or so will burst into full, wonderful color. and be ready for their photo session. Many years ago a neighbor who no longer lives here came home from some sort of gathering with this little hydrangea thingy that she'd been given and asked if any of us minded if she planted it in front of the building. We all said, "sure, go ahead!" Years later we who live here now, us old-timers and the newer residents, are enjoying the results as that very hardy bush that looked so tiny and fragile in the beginning has given us beautiful flowers year after year and also provided nice greenery the rest of the time.

Blushing Monk is a wonderful beer, - fruity but not too sweet - and one that I am especially partial to.

Do enjoy.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Thanks, SS! Yes, it's delightfully fruity with the distinct note of raspberries while being just-right tart and not too sweet. That is why I love this particular one so much. I've tried others and been disappointed for one reason or another. As for "Blushing Monk," the first time I bought it some years ago was more because of that enchanting name than it was that this was a raspberry-infused beer. LOL! Tried it that first time then and fell in love immediately. Bought more through the years when I remembered to check and as it was available. I was really surprised when I found this one bottle tucked away back in the depths of the fridge, as I'd thought I'd last enjoyed it a long time ago! Joyful surprise, joyful reunion, but even at that until today I had kept this bottle waiting for just the right time....

Now I need to get online at the stores around here which carry Founders and see if by any chance "Blushing Monk" is being offered again now -- it's the most logical time of year for it -- and if so I'll go grab some more..... I'm a sucker for anything raspberry, but I hate anything which is using them and dousing them in too-syrupy sweetness. Same for strawberries. There has to be a happy medium here! This is definitely the season for these delightful fruits now, with strawberries and then raspberries waiting to be plucked right off the vine or bush from their plants and made available to us who are not farmers or who can't grow our own strawberries and raspberries, but who love them nonetheless. I need to get to my local farmers' market pretty soon because the strawberries are probably already waiting there to be purchased and brought home and enjoyed, and soon to follow, the raspberries.... I still have fond memories of visits to my grandparents in Pennsylvania in June, when the strawberries were freshly ripened and ready for us to enjoy.....at least once, though, we overdid it with enjoying fresh strawberries on cereal, fresh strawberries simply grabbed out of the bowl and eaten, fresh strawberries prepared with my grandmother's wonderful shortcake as a host to them with the luscious berries in a simple, not-too-sugary, not-too sweet sauce poured over..... That was the year that I woke up in the night itching, and of course scratching almost everywhere on my body, wondering what the heck had bitten me. Turned out it was hives because I'd been over-indulging in all those strawberry treats! Now I take things a little easier with fresh strawberries and raspberries, but, ooooh, don't I just love them!

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Thanks, SS! Yes, it's delightfully fruity with the distinct note of raspberries while being just-right tart and not too sweet. That is why I love this particular one so much. I've tried others and been disappointed for one reason or another. As for "Blushing Monk," the first time I bought it some years ago was more because of that enchanting name than it was that this was a raspberry-infused beer. LOL! Tried it that first time then and fell in love immediately. Bought more through the years when I remembered to check and as it was available. I was really surprised when I found this one bottle tucked away back in the depths of the fridge, as I'd thought I'd last enjoyed it a long time ago! Joyful surprise, joyful reunion, but even at that until today I had kept this bottle waiting for just the right time....

Now I need to get online at the stores around here which carry Founders and see if by any chance "Blushing Monk" is being offered again now -- it's the most logical time of year for it -- and if so I'll go grab some more..... I'm a sucker for anything raspberry, but I hate anything which is using them and dousing them in too-syrupy sweetness. Same for strawberries. There has to be a happy medium here! This is definitely the season for these delightful fruits now, with strawberries and then raspberries waiting to be plucked right off the vine or bush from their plants and made available to us who are not farmers or who can't grow our own strawberries and raspberries, but who love them nonetheless. I need to get to my local farmers' market pretty soon because the strawberries are probably already waiting there to be purchased and brought home and enjoyed, and soon to follow, the raspberries.... I still have fond memories of visits to my grandparents in Pennsylvania in June, when the strawberries were freshly ripened and ready for us to enjoy.....at least once, though, we overdid it with enjoying fresh strawberries on cereal, fresh strawberries simply grabbed out of the bowl and eaten, fresh strawberries prepared with my grandmother's wonderful shortcake as a host to them with the luscious berries in a simple, not-too-sugary, not-too sweet sauce poured over..... That was the year that I woke up in the night itching, and of course scratching almost everywhere on my body, wondering what the heck had bitten me. Turned out it was hives because I'd been over-indulging in all those strawberry treats! Now I take things a little easier with fresh strawberries and raspberries, but, ooooh, don't I just love them!

Agree completely about how most of the fruit beers (Lindemann, I'm looking at you) are far too (sickeningly) sweet.

And, like you, I adore raspberries (and am also very partial to strawberries).

Blushing Monk is not easy to obtain, - but is delicious, - and also comes with a hefty enough price tag; in my experience, the better quality fruit beers (the deliciously tart ones, those with more fruit and less sugar, they tend to be a bit more "natural" as well) cost a lot more to produce and to buy, and appear far less often on the shelves than their rivals.

Do enjoy.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
What is interesting is that I am not sure how long I've had this particular bottle of Blushing Monk in the refrigerator and yet it is absolutely as delicious -- maybe even more so? -- as maybe a bottle purchased recently would be? Don't know, and haven't yet checked my local sources to see if I can buy Blushing Monk now, but if I can, I will -- and yes, that price tag is well worth it!

Top Bottom
1 2