What are you doing today?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Back in the office today. Even though I’m getting up before 6, I’m awake before 5! Rain isn’t helping. Plus I’m going through what I need to do today.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I don’t understand why anybody was on the road in the first place.

I think it's people hoping to push through and beat the storm, without a lot of options to turn around, nowhere to stay, accidents forcing slow/stopped traffic, etc., plus a greatly underestimated storm forecast.

Happened to us one time in PA, left the restaurant, well before the predicted time for the snowstorm, weather had a dramatic shift, got hit on the way home (to the BIL's), just caught the beginning, and it was a short drive in rural areas (and we were in our T4R).

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I think it's people hoping to push through and beat the storm, without a lot of options to turn around, nowhere to stay, accidents forcing slow/stopped traffic, etc., plus a greatly underestimated storm forecast.

That is the problem with the weather apps. They simply regurgitate one model. For example, The Weather Channel app simply regurgitates what the GFS model (the NWS model or US Model) is showing. It is notoriously bad at "seeing" trailing snows behind a rain event. It simply doesn't process the cold air coming in. The Euro & Canadian models were showing something as early as 12/31, but unless you follow a weather blog or watched a good local meteorologist, you probably never saw this.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
That is the problem with the weather apps. They simply regurgitate one model. For example, The Weather Channel app simply regurgitates what the GFS model (the NWS model or US Model) is showing. It is notoriously bad at "seeing" trailing snows behind a rain event. It simply doesn't process the cold air coming in. The Euro & Canadian models were showing something as early as 12/31, but unless you follow a weather blog or watched a good local meteorologist, you probably never saw this.

Can also read "Forecaster's Discussion" for a location's regional National Weather Service page. Just scroll down past their map with the advisories. Their meterologists do mention significant divergence of models when forecasting expected "significant events" and often indicate whether they went with the blended national model or factored in say steps from the near term of ECMWF as they tinkered with particular details --wind or precip-- for their most recent update.

Ulenspiegel

διπλωμάτης
Reaction score
Installed a new Blu-ray Player in my room. Half success, was not able to split the net between this device and the set-top box.
I have no clue what was wrong. I gave up and threw away the UTP splitter and the Cat6 cables.

Anyway the main idea was to get a Blu-ray player installed. I don't need streaming on this player as I use a mediabox. It was just a challenge. Of course it was not the only problem I faced, but others were easily solved. This one has beaten me.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Spent an hour or so cleaning the eight or maybe it was actually nine inches of snow off my car..... I actually didn't complete the job, and am hoping that tomorrow Mother Nature will thaw the thin layer or two that is left. We'll see what the situation looks like tomorrow. Fortunately I have nowhere that I urgently need to go, so that helps!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Installed a new Blu-ray Player in my room. Half success, was not able to split the net between this device and the set-top box.
I have no clue what was wrong. I gave up and threw away the UTP splitter and the Cat6 cables.

Anyway the main idea was to get a Blu-ray player installed. I don't need streaming on this player as I use a mediabox. It was just a challenge. Of course it was not the only problem I faced, but others were easily solved. This one has beaten me.

Did you try using a switch?

Spent an hour or so cleaning the eight or maybe it was actually nine inches of snow off my car..... I actually didn't complete the job, and am hoping that tomorrow Mother Nature will thaw the thin layer or two that is left. We'll see what the situation looks like tomorrow. Fortunately I have nowhere that I urgently need to go, so that helps!

You might be wasting your time. ;) There is another one coming in Thursday. Not sure how far east it will make it, but KY & WV are going to get hammered.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I wanted to clean off my car so that either tomorrow or (more likely) early on Thursday I can run a couple of kinda/sorta necessary errands and then after that be able to sit back and relax as the predicted new storm hits us (if it does and with any intensity) and not have to worry about going anywhere...... We'll see as things unfold.

Ulenspiegel

διπλωμάτης
Reaction score
Did you try using a switch?

You might be wasting your time. ;) There is another one coming in Thursday. Not sure how far east it will make it, but KY & WV are going to get hammered.
No.
The idea was to use a small passive UHT splitter that I can hide (I did not want to have another device on the shelf, and another device to deal with).

Yes, with an active splitter it can be solved, but the challenge was different 😃

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
No.
The idea was to use a small passive UHT splitter that I can hide (I did not want to have another device on the shelf, and another device to deal with).

Yes, with an active splitter it can be solved, but the challenge was different 😃
With the appropriate passive splitter at both ends of your cable you should be able to split it to two 100 Mbps connections (4 wires each). You still need to connect the splits on the other end to two real ports on a switch/router.

Just putting a passive splitter at one end won’t work.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Wow, that was a flawless launch! Glad to see the solar panels deployed. The JWST is now truly on the way.

Today's update on "Where's Webb?" states that the anxiety-inducing multi-day deployment of the sunshield layers has been completed! Lookin' good....

JWST sunshield deployment is done!.jpg

chengengaun

Slightly Confused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Today's update on "Where's Webb?" states that the anxiety-inducing multi-day deployment of the sunshield layers has been completed! Lookin' good....

View attachment 10803
Grateful for that and glad that the ground controllers managed to get themselves some rest over the new year period. Now on to the secondary mirror deployment...

Also quite interesting that the JWST is now traveling at a velocity of just over 1,000mph (1,700kph) (relative to Earth?) - which is slower than Concorde's cruising speed of 1,350mph. The maximum velocity (~9.97km/s) is also lower than Earth's escape velocity - didn't realise that until I listened to the commentary during the launch. In comparison, I think the Apollo spacecraft traveled at over 2,000mph just before entering the lunar orbit.

Edit: The secondary mirror is now fully deployed!

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Travelled down to London after work. Back in the South. Where I’m from. Not lived here for 20+ years.
Traffic was good. My hire van has wireless CarPlay. Wish my car did. My next one will!

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Travelled down to London after work. Back in the South. Where I’m from. Not lived here for 20+ years.
Traffic was good. My hire van has wireless CarPlay. Wish my car did. My next one will!
My 2016 Volkswagen has CarPlay and I love it. IMHO, CarPlay + Siri is killer.

Top Bottom
1 2