What are you doing today?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I really shouldn't complain about the rain today, as we really did have such a lovely several days prior to this, with abundant sunshine and plenty of warmth, but yeah..... Today is a real reminder that, oh, yeah, we are definitely, absolutely, in the midst of Autumn heading into winter, whether I like it or not. I commiserate with you, SS!

Well, the days immediately following the time when the clocks go back, are always a time of year when I can feel my heart sinking.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I just start thinking about the projects that I might actually get around to doing this winter that I meant to do last winter and the winter before that but somehow never quite managed to even get started.... Also am already starting to think about what kinds of photo shots I'll want to do this winter in the house, primarily tabletops, abstracts and such..... Not to mention spending more time curled up with a warm computer or a good book on those really cold days!

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Well, the days immediately following the time when the clocks go back, are always a time of year when I can feel my heart sinking.
Indeed. I loathe November and December. Can we just skip ahead?

Anyway finished watching the Portuguese Grand Prix highlights. Now I have a bit of work to do this evening. Some interviews to set up for Tuesday and Wednesday as I'm off tomorrow.
Chiropractor first thing then taking Mrs AFB to a craft supply place near where we used to live.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
The months I most loathe are January and February....especially the latter, as through the years there were several significant deaths in that month. The weather here is usually at its worst during those two months as well. December isn't great, but I don't watch much television so am able to avoid a lot of the fake holly-jolly Christmas adverts and scenes of supposed "happy families" all gathered around the festive Christmas tree or overly-saccharine, too exaggeratedly-cute adverts of adorable wee ones squealing in delight over some toy........ I also normally keep far, far away from any malls during the Christmas season, and of course this year sure as heck am going to do so, too! I haven't set foot in a mall for months and have no need or intention to visit one. Happily for me, there is a Barnes & Noble bookstore in a smallish outdoor shopping center just down the road a piece from me, and an hour or two spent in there on a weekday early in the holiday season usually takes care of gifts that I want to buy for family and friends.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm no fan of November and December but always look forward to January for the return of the light, and that low-humidity crispness outside in really cold air on calm, sunny days.

Today I'm celebrating discovery that yes I have voted... my absentee ballot was processed back into the Board of Elections on Friday. So the USPS still works ok up here, or else ballots are getting special handling by pony express. Either way, my vote had to travel 110 miles up to Syracuse and then 120 miles back downstate to make a trip of about 11 miles as the crow flies. But it made it in two days, so Louis DeJoy's machinations must not have been focused on Syracuse. Good to know...

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
@Scepticalscribe, @lizkat, @Alli (and anyone else I might have missed) : Could I get your thoughts on this, please?

Fe(male)
Wo(man)
Per(son)
Hu(man)
Dishwas(her)
Umm...
tenor.gif

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Ehhhhhhh,,,,,,,!!!! Since I'm the only one in this household, if I don't do the rinsing-up or laundry, it doesn't get done! LOL! In others' households, when I'm a guest, I cheerfully volunteer to help out in the kitchen and since I'm no cook, I'm more useful after the meal than I am prior to it! I'm great at clearing the table and doing the rinsing-up and washing of larger dishes, pots and pans that don't fit into a dishwasher..... :)

U

User.45

@Scepticalscribe, @lizkat, @Alli (and anyone else I might have missed) : Could I get your thoughts on this, please?

Fe(male)
Wo(man)
Per(son)
Hu(man)
Dishwas(her)
IMHO a lot of these reflect a patriarchally organized language.

Except for per son, which comes from per sonare (i.e. through sound/voice) or alternatively from the Etruscan word for mask.

(men)ace
(male)volent
de(men)ted
(man)ipulate

My native language distinguishes persons from inanimate object (traditionally we used to refer to animals using the latter, but my generation largely refers to mammals, especially pets as persons too [once in medschool one of my female class mates got some heat for this as she shouldn't "antropomorphize" the world; but honestly, the more I learn the more I learn about life and mammals the more I think that's the right thing]). At any rate, we have less than 5 unisex names I can list and you have the option to add "-woman" to the name of each profession to emphasize gender, but you don't have to.

Like this morning...my daughter likely broke her ulna (forearm) and I explained to her that the "doctorwoman" will get an Xray photo of it, so even subconsciously she knows that women are just as natural and legitimate in the role of a doctor as a man.

^BTW, yes. Today is fucked up:/

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Fe(male)
Wo(man)
Per(son)
Hu(man)
Dishwas(her)

Well, leaving the patriarchy, and its extensive influence on areas of culture, including language, aside (not something I do very often), for the moment, the expression (or word) that most appeals (and it is rather topical), is Fred Trump III's apt observation that, "our family puts the "fun" in dysfunctional."

Last edited:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I remember many, many years ago having a fierce argument with my best friend -- I think we were both around ten years old at the time -- because she couldn't believe that there was such a thing as a WOMAN doctor!! She had never heard of this and had trouble believing me when I assured her that, yes, women could become doctors, too, and that I knew that there were some because in the town from which we had moved there was indeed a woman doctor who was very much appreciated in her community......

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I remember many, many years ago having a fierce argument with my best friend -- I think we were both around ten years old at the time -- because she couldn't believe that there was such a thing as a WOMAN doctor!! She had never heard of this and had trouble believing me when I assured her that, yes, women could become doctors, too, and that I knew that there were some because in the town from which we had moved there was indeed a woman doctor who was very much appreciated in her community......

I think that this was one of the many reasons my mother always chose to have the family treated by a (well regarded and exceptionally competent) woman doctor.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Pulling everything I have out of stocks, 401k and individual trading account, and placing them in bonds/cash for now. Going to sit on the sidelines for a few weeks.

Top Bottom
1 2