What are you doing today?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Gales and nasty showers here.

Decided to give the farmers' market (not that my trips there are weekly anymore) a miss, though I did phone the German lady with superb (free range, organic) eggs to ask her to keep a box or two (preferably two, but the hands are laying far fewer eggs at this time of the year) for me and drop them into the cheesemonger, whose shop is in the market area, just across the lane from the magnificent medieval church, outside where the market has been held since the Middle Ages, and I'll pick them up later in the week.

She said she would, but she may forget, or be too busy; I also phoned the cheesemonger to so that his staff will know that the eggs (if delivered) are to be held for me to collect later.

He said that he would attend to it, and drop the eggs out to me later today; again, between weather, stress, and other commitments, while I'm very grateful, I'm not entirely sure that he will be able to follow through.

And fresh bread.......

But, I slept exceptionally well last night; early to bed after one beer.
Our free range eggs came from across the way this week, as Mrs AFB gave one of the neighbours some excess craft supplies.

Right enough procrastination. Off to make a tea and put a large mirror up.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh no, Sir Thomas Sean Connery passed away today. So odd that I JUST posted a photo of him on a thread at TOP.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Our free range eggs came from across the way this week, as Mrs AFB gave one of the neighbours some excess craft supplies.

Oh, that is brilliant - terrific that she is engaging with the neighbours to the extent that she feels comfortable giving gifts of craft supplies, and what could be better than locally sourced, free range eggs?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Happiness. Fantastic. What joy.

I phoned the German lady who runs the very best of the organic vegetable stalls (though produce drops precipitously in late October - the difference in available produce between late September, still harvest time, and late October is astonishing) in the farmers' market who kindly informed me that she has left two boxes of her most amazing free range, organic, eggs into the cheesemonger's for me, in a brown paper bag with my name on them.

So, even if the cheesemonger doesn't deliver them to me today, I can head in early next week (when gales should have died down, and not many people will be around) and pick them up.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have great plans for today. Sit in chair. Maybe I’ll put my feet up. Maybe not. Head to the kitchen. Make more tea. Pet the cats. Take a bath!

Ok, so they’re not such great plans. I might have to go to Publix though. We’re almost out of ice lollies.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I think we had the same weather system over us. All blown over for now… though, apparently we're due for another whirl of the same on Monday.

All the leaves that were hesitant about committing to Autumn have blown off. Looking quite bare.

Yes, beginning to look awfully bare, here, too.

The cheesemonger said that he will collect the (organic, free range) eggs and drop them out to me, later.

These are by far the best eggs available, the yolks are a rich, deep, burnt orange colour, the taste indescribable - this lady and her husband have by far the best of the organic vegetable stalls, in the market, as well, though the range of the produce they have on offer has decreased in recent weeks - there is an enormous difference, a precipitous decrease, between what is available in the organic fruit & vegetable stalls in late September, and in late October.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Ugh.

Hailstones hitting the window,

I want to go to bed and fall asleep and awaken sometime next March.

Okay: Perhaps I shall postpone plans to embark upon my somnolent winter slumber until after Tuesday night's election.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I have great plans for today. Sit in chair. Maybe I’ll put my feet up. Maybe not. Head to the kitchen. Make more tea. Pet the cats. Take a bath!

Ok, so they’re not such great plans. I might have to go to Publix though. We’re almost out of ice lollies.

Hahaha, I love those kind of plans-to-do-nothing. It's like the bit in Office Space ...

Went to pubs a touch earlier, needed more candy for the monster fingers :D (pics later), as it approached 11a, it was turning into a shit show. Beautiful day today, perfect for a top down cruise (honestly, the top never comes up ...)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Went to pubs a touch earlier, needed more candy for the monster fingers :D (pics later), as it approached 11a, it was turning into a shit show. Beautiful day today, perfect for a top down cruise (honestly, the top never comes up ...)
Dang, forgot it was Halloween. Well, we should enough lollies to last until Monday.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Bliss.

Happiness.

Joy.

The cheesemonger (wrapped up and masked) turned up and dropped out a paper bag with two boxes of organic, free range, eggs, to which he had added a few other goodies from his store, (artisan bacon rashers, artisan pâté, a veritable doorstopper of a wedge of Comte cheese, duck confit)...

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Covid Halloween definitely different.

Usually by now the streets would be filled with excited chatter as the witches, elves, hobgoblins and assorted creepy characters take to the streets…

Not a peep so far.

And what a waste of a suitably eery Blue Moon!

Blue Moon.jpeg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Happy Hallowe'en, All! :)

Odds-and-ends of things today: first my Magic Mouse 2 stopped working so I thought, "no biggie," and stuck her on the charger and reached for the spare one I keep for just such situations, and it, too, needed charging!!!! Grrrrrr..... Grabbed the wired mouse -cum-USB-C adapter that I also keep for such situations and used that for a while as the two mice charged up and when I had enough power in the one to use for a while I put it back to work, letting the other go to 100%.

Last night I remembered that I'd left something in the car that I needed to bring in, so went out to get it, and was surprised when no interior lights went on in the car. It was dark and so I just fumbled around until I found my item, and then came in the house and consulted the manual once again..... This morning I went out to the car and promptly remedied the situation: simply a matter of clicking a switch which I hadn't thought about! So THAT's done......

Then I needed to scan a document and send it to someone in email, so went to do that and my HP Envy 7155 printer/scanner wasn't being very cooperative. Grrrrr again!! Printed just fine, but wasn't scanning. Finally I went to the support site and downloaded and installed the latest version of their EZ Start app, and found what the problem was: for some reason the scanning software wasn't installed. AHA! I don't scan all that often and I think probably what happened is that when I switched from the 2015 MBP to the 2018 MBP that somehow the scanning program got lost in translation. Whatever, it's installed and up and running just fine now!

Still pretty chilly out there, a mere 49 degrees, and cloudy as well, so my enthusiasm for going out for a walk on the boardwalk has dimmed somewhat; I'm not used to the chillier weather yet! I did see one of the cormorants swimming around on the lake so was reassured that he's still around. Since I hadn't seen any of them for several days I was thinking that perhaps they had migrated, but maybe not. Haven't seen Alfred in a while, either, but if he is like his predecessors he'll be with us all year around.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Covid Halloween definitely different.

Usually by now the streets would be filled with excited chatter as the witches, elves, hobgoblins and assorted creepy characters take to the streets…

Not a peep so far.

And what a waste of a suitably eery Blue Moon!

View attachment 1051

No, not a peep.

And yes, what a waste of a suitably surreal and appropriately eerie moon.

In recent years, before my mother's death a little under two years ago, the carer would have approached me well in advance of Hallowe'en - perhaps a fortnight early (I admired her capacity for forward planning) to request money to purchase sweets (candies) and other necessities for visiting children, so that we could welcome them appropriately on the night in question.

Last year, I did this myself as my mother was no longer with us (and neither was the carer) - but not, I must admit - a fortnight in advance. Still, it was nice to be able to carry on the old tradition, and a few groups of well mannered (and beautifully attired) children duly did put in an appearance.

This year, on account of Covid, nothing, alas.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
And, for my own amusement and interest, I wrote out by hand all (45) American presidents, in sequence, names and dates and so on (prompted by that wonderful thread in the photography section about colouring photographs of early Presidents).

Yes, I'm a history nerd (and am also keen on photography).
There were only 44.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Never include 45. Ever.

I'm laughing, reading this.

However, indulging such a thought (tempting, though that is) would be one of the very rare occasions where my training - and background - as an historian ("record everything that happened, and accurately, and, if possible, impartially and objectively, and interrogate it and critically analyse it forensically, and, if necessary, almost ruthlessly,") wars - quite fiercely - with my my marked political preferences (and where my profession as a political analyst does, on occasion, allow one to be less than wholly objective) which would be to obliterate all references to that foul creature and start afresh, with a clean (constitutional) slate.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm laughing, reading this.

However, indulging such a thought (tempting, though that is) would be one of the very rare occasions where my training - and background - as an historian ("record everything that happened, and accurately, and, if possible, impartially and objectively, and interrogate it and critically analyse it forensically, and, if necessary, almost ruthlessly,") wars - quite fiercely - with my my marked political preferences (and where my profession as a political analyst does, on occasion, allow one to be less than wholly objective) which would be to obliterate all references to that foul creature and start afresh, with a clean (constitutional) slate.
I think this is the one time that I approve of the so-called “cancel culture.” I love the meme showing a family in an elevator and the child asks “why is there no 45th floor” and the mother answers “well, back in 2020....”

Top Bottom
1 2