What are you doing today?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Happy Independence Day to all you who celebrate it. Enjoy the fireworks.

Is there a food you eat on this day like Thanksgiving? Anyway enjoy it.

Here it wasn’t the best Monday. First day back after a week off.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

The tradition on independence day in america is to eat all the food. All of it. All for us. None for you.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Random question here.

Wife and I are mid-50's and whenever we go to a doctor, they ask what meds we are on. It is almost like they don't believe us when we say none. One time they asked her like 3 times.

I guess it is because I watched my parents lug bags of pills to the doctor that we both don't want to take a pill to fix something that isn't life critical.

Do you see that as well? Same question for our European members, especially since you have a different system.
Yep, I come from long-lived, reasonably healthy stock and although of course my parents always sought medical attention for themselves or me when needed, they were not big on taking meds unless they were essential to deal with a particular situation. A prescription would be filled, the meds taken and then if the problem had been resolved, that was that. I guess I kind of absorbed that message, too.

Yes, medical personnel always look startled when they ask me what my meds are and I respond that I don't take any at all, except the occasional OTC Zyrtec during the worst of the hay fever/pollen season. I am not one to grab something for every little itch, ache or pain, I have a fairly high tolerance for pain or feeling ill anyway. That said, of course when something is clearly wrong or I notice that a situation is worsening, then I do seek medical attention.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony

A lot of people have outdoor picnics or BBQs, gatherings with family and/or friends, with the usual kinds of foods served at those events: hot dogs, hamburgers, steaks, baked beans.... Oh, and chilled salads of various sorts, such as potato salad, pasta salad, mixed beans salad, etc. Stuff that is easy for guests to serve to themselves and which is easy to handle with paper plates and plastic utensils. Usually condiments are at hand, too, plus olives, pickles, other accompaniments as well. Icy-cold beer and various soft drinks, too, are part of the occasion, to wash down all the food.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
took the grandkid to the movies for the first time. she could not hold still like she does at home but still did well. grandpa had together her the biggest popcorn it about blew her mind. but she ad fun and was still working on the popcorn on the way home.
IMG_0328.jpeg

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
...contemplating murdering our local FedEx driver, as he's said two days in a row now that we weren't home at 10:13 - 10:30am as he's "attempted delivery" with the "customer unavailable or business closed". (Hint: Yes, we were home and not on the phone).
Yesterday I called and had customer service add into the comments of the ticket that they have to enter #(unit number) for the buzzer (which is exactly what it says on a BIG SIGN above the dial pad). Nope. Still failed to be able to accomplish that simple task today.

Me, I think it's because it's an 89lb box and he's just too lazy to move it off of the truck. Maybe today is his Friday and next attempt we'll actually get someone that wants to do their job.

*sigh*

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
...contemplating murdering our local FedEx driver, as he's said two days in a row now that we weren't home at 10:13 - 10:30am as he's "attempted delivery" with the "customer unavailable or business closed". (Hint: Yes, we were home and not on the phone).
Yesterday I called and had customer service add into the comments of the ticket that they have to enter #(unit number) for the buzzer (which is exactly what it says on a BIG SIGN above the dial pad). Nope. Still failed to be able to accomplish that simple task today.

Me, I think it's because it's an 89lb box and he's just too lazy to move it off of the truck. Maybe today is his Friday and next attempt we'll actually get someone that wants to do their job.

*sigh*
89lb box? What did you order?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
It would be easier if she didn’t live so far away. But there you go. Of course my biggest fear would be if she has a prolonged serious illness. That would be very difficult where I live. Her husband is younger than her, so as long as he can look after her no issues, but with her various medical issues and the fact she doesn’t speak to my sister it’s a complicated mess. But then I don’t speak to my sister either!
Ouch.

Thta is tough, but I'm glad that you saw her.

Families.

Youth is wasted on the young.

Agreed, youth is wasted on the young.

But, I'm one of those who never actually enjoyed my youth - I'm far more comfortable in (or with) middle age, more comfortable in my skin, and more comfortable in myself.

My mother always said that her forties and fifties were the best years of her life.

Random question here.

Wife and I are mid-50's and whenever we go to a doctor, they ask what meds we are on. It is almost like they don't believe us when we say none. One time they asked her like 3 times.

I guess it is because I watched my parents lug bags of pills to the doctor that we both don't want to take a pill to fix something that isn't life critical.

Do you see that as well? Same question for our European members, especially since you have a different system.

Yep, I come from long-lived, reasonably healthy stock and although of course my parents always sought medical attention for themselves or me when needed, they were not big on taking meds unless they were essential to deal with a particular situation. A prescription would be filled, the meds taken and then if the problem had been resolved, that was that. I guess I kind of absorbed that message, too.

Yes, medical personnel always look startled when they ask me what my meds are and I respond that I don't take any at all, except the occasional OTC Zyrtec during the worst of the hay fever/pollen season. I am not one to grab something for every little itch, ache or pain, I have a fairly high tolerance for pain or feeling ill anyway. That said, of course when something is clearly wrong or I notice that a situation is worsening, then I do seek medical attention.
That question is asked when one (for example) first fills out a form prior to receiving the first Covid vaccine, or when receiving the flu vaccine - but is not laboured over - nor is surprise expressed - when you reply (as I did) "nothing".

I take meds when they have been prescribed for a specific condition, or illness. Not otherwise.

However, I don't think that there is a "pressure" to push, or persuade patients of the desirability of taking of certain meds, in our public health funded systems in the way that one might find in other systems. Not least because medical professionals have neither the time (in a publicly funded healthcare system) to spend on such issues, nor the close ties with the private sector of health care provision.

In other words, the links which are thought to exist between the pharma industry and the medical profession elsewhere, don't really apply as our system is publicly funded.

They ask, merely for their records, - and to check for anything which might be a problem, - (you are also always asked about known allergies, for example), note your answer, (without surprise or other comment), and proceed to deal with whatever matter broought you there.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
A lot of people have outdoor picnics or BBQs, gatherings with family and/or friends, with the usual kinds of foods served at those events: hot dogs, hamburgers, steaks, baked beans.... Oh, and chilled salads of various sorts, such as potato salad, pasta salad, mixed beans salad, etc. Stuff that is easy for guests to serve to themselves and which is easy to handle with paper plates and plastic utensils. Usually condiments are at hand, too, plus olives, pickles, other accompaniments as well. Icy-cold beer and various soft drinks, too, are part of the occasion, to wash down all the food.
Don’t forget the previous week of illegal fireworks each evening, and the upcoming week of them. Not that we eat them.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Ouch.

Thta is tough, but I'm glad that you saw her.

Families.

Agreed, youth is wasted on the young.

But, I'm one of those who never actually enjoyed my youth - I'm far more comfortable in (or with) middle age, more comfortable in my skin, and more comfortable in myself.

My mother always said that her forties and fifties were the best years of her life.

That question is asked when one (for example) first fills out a form prior to receiving the first Covid vaccine, or when receiving the flu vaccine - but is not laboured over - nor is surprise expressed - when you reply (as I did) "nothing".

I take meds when they have been prescribed for a specific condition, or illness. Not otherwise.

However, I don't think that there is a "pressure" to push, or persuade patients of the desirability of taking of certain meds, in our public health funded systems in the way that one might find in other systems. Not least because medical professionals have neither the time (in a publicly funded healthcare system) to spend on such issues, nor the close ties with the private sector of health care provision.

In other words, the links which are thought to exist between the pharma industry and the medical profession elsewhere, don't really apply as our system is publicly funded.

They ask, merely for their records, - and to check for anything which might be a problem, - (you are also always asked about known allergies, for example), note your answer, (without surprise or other comment), and proceed to deal with whatever matter broought you there.
Families indeed. I really consider Mrs AFB my family. Then there are two other people (my parents). That’s it. I was done with extended family about 35 years ago. Never really been close to any of them.
And don’t get me started on my offspring!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Portable Air Conditioner....because...you know...summer. :D

Yeah, we have a one of those, it's a Toshiba, I think it's rated at 7000 BTU, it's in my bedroom closet, under some jackets, it's not light, hahaha, I remember carrying it up the stairs :D

It's actually never been opened, it's an "emergency" backup for if we lost power during a big storm, but I don't know that we'd be here anyway. So far, after like 4, maybe 5[?] years, it's gone unused. Geez, if we ever do bust it out, I hope it works :ROFLMAO:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yesterday, met some folks at the beach, water was beautiful, had a fun time, used a "secret" access so we were a good distance from the two public access points, mostly locals.

Hopped on a friends longboard a few times, the surf was perfect for an hour or so, hit the right tide+wind for great shape.

Brought the badminton - didn't set it up :D

Came back for round two of the corn dogs / hot dogs, potato salad, super good, and fired up, as is required on 07/04/xxxx, Independence Day :D (nice 4K remastered, the new audio setup provided some booming fun :D)

29dacc2b-bbaa-47ea-b830-322ff407925b_text.gif

Top Bottom
1 2