What are you doing today?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Earlier this summer, I finally got a new car—a Toyota 4Runner TRD Off-Road—and it's easily my favorite thing ever. So, I get to spend an off-day sawing off the "chin," and swapping in a bumper with a winch and bull-bar. A buddy of mine is offering to let me use his shop, so I get to throw it up on a lift. Thinking of painting "if you can read this, flip me over" on the frame somewhere like I did with my old CJ-7.

I came so close to pulling the trigger on TRD model several years ago. We had ours at the dealer for a few service items, I was about ready for something new, and they had this sitting on the lot (this is the actual pic I sent to the wife);

IMG_0667_1920.jpg

I said to her, "I'm going to buy this, trade the other one in, if he sales person can come up with a good deal ASAP".

At the end of the day, they sort of drug their asses, I guess they thought I wasn't totally serious, or were worried about getting wet (the rain had been on/off all day), or really thought they were going to get that $5000 markup over MSRP.

To be honest, our use case really isn't as hardcore offroad where this vehicle really shines, so it probably wasn't the best option, but I __LOVE__ how these look. From what you've said about how you spend your time, and use your vehicle, I imagine you'll get some outstanding use and really use the capabilities.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
I came so close to pulling the trigger on TRD model several years ago. We had ours at the dealer for a few service items, I was about ready for something new, and they had this sitting on the lot (this is the actual pic I sent to the wife);

View attachment 16529

I said to her, "I'm going to buy this, trade the other one in, if he sales person can come up with a good deal ASAP".

At the end of the day, they sort of drug their asses, I guess they thought I wasn't totally serious, or were worried about getting wet (the rain had been on/off all day), or really thought they were going to get that $5000 markup over MSRP.

To be honest, our use case really isn't as hardcore offroad where this vehicle really shines, so it probably wasn't the best option, but I __LOVE__ how these look. From what you've said about how you spend your time, and use your vehicle, I imagine you'll get some outstanding use and really use the capabilities.

We got a pretty good deal, all things being equal. And, I'm just in love with the beast—dubbed "Stampy."
We bombed around southern Colorado and New Mexico in it.

The dealer offered to detail it after our trip, and I take it as a compliment that the detailer mouthed "Jesus Christ" when I pulled into the bay.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ha! Is it gray?

(I guess is sort of has a ... trunk :D)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The dealer offered to detail it after our trip, and I take it as a compliment that the detailer mouthed "Jesus Christ" when I pulled into the bay.

This was after one of the dealer's Land Rover Experience days. They have a bunch of owners come out and go for a ride, get some food and give out prizes. We won a full detail. And like your experience, the dealer wasn't happy.

IMG_0050.JPG

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This was after one of the dealer's Land Rover Experience days. They have a bunch of owners come out and go for a ride, get some food and give out prizes. We won a full detail. And like your experience, the dealer wasn't happy.

That Land Rover thanked the SUV gods that it got a day in the mud instead of a trip to the mall.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Scheduled HVAC work next week. Replacing an old furnace and adding air conditioning thanks to changing climate.

Getting an EVSE installed at the same time by the electrician doing the work for the new HVAC circuit.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I am really, really hoping today is the last of the gross weather. I don't mind hot, but it has been unbearably hot and humid for the last six weeks. I am so over it. I much prefer summer to winter, but I need a break of this. In the next day or two, our lows will finally dip back into the 60s. Waking up at 6:30am and having it already be 73 is just icky.

Today I have to cut the grass and get to the grocery store. If the weather turns tomorrow I can actually do some weeding; the weeds seem to thrive in this humidity.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I am really, really hoping today is the last of the gross weather. I don't mind hot, but it has been unbearably hot and humid for the last six weeks. I am so over it. I much prefer summer to winter, but I need a break of this. In the next day or two, our lows will finally dip back into the 60s. Waking up at 6:30am and having it already be 73 is just icky.

Today I have to cut the grass and get to the grocery store. If the weather turns tomorrow I can actually do some weeding; the weeds seem to thrive in this humidity.

Re that last part about the weeds, around here the joke is that the goldenrod has got so high you'd never know if your property was also harboring giant hogweed... ugh! At least we've been spared drought and a lot of the mid-90s heatwaves that upper central NY has been dealing with. Only in the last couple weeks had it got unpleasantly hot during the day. Anyway after last winter I swore I'd not complain about heat!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

The temp has been, a good bit lower here, BUT the humidity has been WORSE, so the net result is I lost 5-lbs mowing this past weekend ... :ROFLMAO:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony

I hear you, loud and clear!!!! The past several days in particular have been just miserable.....it's not just the heat, it's the stifling, sticky, stinky humidity! I am finally venturing out today to run a few necessary errands that I'd been putting off due to the extreme heat and humidity on Monday and Tuesday. Enough's enough already.....

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Not having children or grandchildren, obviously I don't need to keep up with the school calendar, but now that I think of it, seems to me that our public schools let out for summer fairly late, somewhere in the second week of June, depending upon whether or not there has been a bad winter with lots of snow days. For years the state of Virginia had what was nicknamed "the Kings Dominion Law," whereby all public schools were not permitted to open until the day after Labor Day and the reason was supposedly so that the big recreational parks such as Kings Dominion near Richmond could depend upon their staff of young people (some still in high school) being available to work throughout the entire summer, including the month of August. That seems to have changed in recent years, though, along with the requirements for number of actual days students must attend classes.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Regarding the hot and humid weather I’ve really had enough. Set to break Tuesday maybe. The office has no AC, the home has no AC (common in the UK). The only relief is the car journey!
I didn't have A/C in my cars either, and only used my car anyway while upstate or commuting between here and NYC. So in summertime I certainly loved that moment I finally hit the Palisades Parkway heading north and started collecting that natural air conditioning. I usually departed the city very late at night to avoid getting hung up in bridge traffic, so by time I was getting up into the mountains, maybe 75 miles out or so, it was sometimes even too cool to leave the car windows open, and by time I hit my driveway I might even have turned the heat on. "No complaints!"

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Dropped the little G off for her first day of high school today.

Geez, I need a drink ...

Whew! She made it :D Her teachers seems pretty great, we did the meet~n~greet yesterday, she was slightly above ambivalent, so that's good :ROFLMAO:

She's taking a bunch of AP classes a couple are for college credit, hahaha, she said her Chemistry class was mostly "senior citizens" :ROFLMAO: (aka seniors, she said it was her and another 9th grader she "sort of knows", one 10th grader and like 25 seniors ...)

My kid starts next week, but also ends school much earlier than I did as a kid (early may). So 🤷

Yeah, it just moves the whole window back, start early finish early, I don't even remember what my middle/HS start/stop dates were, but this does seem a touch early.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I suppose in this day and age where most school buildings are air-conditioned and so summertime heat is not as much of a concern, it's not considered a big deal nowadays to start school in early or mid-August. Some places already have year-around school anyway. In any event, there is now a need for a somewhat broader, more extended school calendar that builds in not just the usual student holidays but also teacher workshop days and other situations plus (in some states) allowing for inclement weather conditions during the winter while also trying to ensure a specific number of actual education days for students.

I'm glad I went to school during the years that I did, when "summer vacation" was really and truly that, nearly three months, and we didn't have to think about returning to school until the day after Labor Day......

Top Bottom
1 2