What are you doing today?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Somehow last week I neglected to run the vacuum cleaner and realized today that it might be a really good idea, so have now done that, and have also taken out the trash. Shopping for the holiday weekend was done earlier last week and then again yesterday, so I'm well equipped with a few nice things to eat, including my favorite brand of Hummus, along with some Naan (I prefer naan to pita with Hummus, for some reason). Thanksgiving dinner will be shrimp --- mmmmmm!!!

It looks as though some of my neighbors have already taken off for visiting family or friends elsewhere, as the parking lot is pretty empty, more than it usually is even on a weekday. Everywhere: on television, in the newspapers, they are trying to tell people, please just stay home this Thanksgiving, don't go to a family gathering and come home with the virus, and yet, yep, the skies are filled with travelers and the highways as well..... So, so foolish.

@Clix Pix We're having shrimp tonight! A little brown rice, shrimp in some soy/honey/sriracha, some fresh green onion on top. Might bust an egg in the rice.

Figured shrimp was the most opposite of Turkey for the day before Thanksgiving :D

There is no such thing as too much shrimp.

But, shrimp in a dip? sauce? of honey, soy, and sriarcha sounds delicious.

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
I don't wear my Apple Watch every day, since I am home so much now, but I do like to have it on my wrist when going out, in order to get emails that might come in without having to get my iPhone out of my purse, to know what time it is, and for using Apple Pay, etc. I don't do the exercise stuff although if I'm somewhere where it's feasible (i.e., not driving the car) and I get the reminder to "Stand," I sometimes will do that!

I only wear mine on the rare occasion I leave the house too. It’s handy to see email and text notifications but using it to tap to pay for purchases is a priceless convenience.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
My Apple Watch is the 2nd thing I put on in the morning, the first being my glasses so that I can see the watch.

"The first being my glasses", oh yes, I can so relate to that.

When I first read the Harry Potter books, one of the (many) things that caused me to warm to them (apart from the wit, world-building, terrific story-telling, excellent female characters...) were references to Harry reaching out for his glasses on his bedside table whenever he woke up.

Only someone who has worn glasses will "get" that sort of reference.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
@Clix Pix We're having shrimp tonight! A little brown rice, shrimp in some soy/honey/sriracha, some fresh green onion on top. Might bust an egg in the rice.

Figured shrimp was the most opposite of Turkey for the day before Thanksgiving :D

Mmm, your shrimp meal sounds good!!!! Yes, I'll having rice with mine -- no sriracha/honey/soy sauce, though..... Maybe some garlic/soy sauce, though. Enjoy your meal!!!!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Other Brother phoned me this evening, and we discussed wisdom teeth (he needs to have one removed, and I had both of my bottom wisdom teeth removed eight years ago, they were impacted and were one of the triggers fro my excruciating migraines whenever they became infected, which was roughly once every 15 or so months), Nick Hornby - he is reading Juliet Naked, on my recommendation - the Beatles, and our mutual dislike of mobile phones (the smart phone variety).

Oddly enough - perhaps a welcome sign of a dawning degree of what might hopefully pass for some sort of healthy "normal" politics - for the first time in a absolute age, we never even mentioned the US, the election, or the ghastly Mr Trump.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I thought that. But since buying one I’m totally convinced.

Yeah, I'm all in, I really dig on this device.

I very, VERY rarely wear a traditional watch, when I do, it's generally been a ruggedized dive watch (when, you know, actually diving :D). I have at least one, "not inexpensive" watch, I picked up shortly after selling my previous company, I think I tossed it on one time in the last several years.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh yeah, so today :)

Delicious double pumpkin coffee (as in, pumpkin coffee __and__ pumpkin creamer :D). JB made this delicious casserole she does, it's bread/egg/cheese/sausage, you prep it the night before, then pop it into the oven, the chunks of bread get all saturated, it bakes up where you can slice it, kind of like a quiche.

We made some mimosas, we did a 3 day no booze (Mon - Wed), so I'll probably be totally wasted off this, so maybe some drunk ramblings later :D

Tossed on the Macy's parade, I'm doing a couple of quick work things (I get a code solution stuck in my head, must implement), got a baked brie cheese thing on deck for the afternoon, some other cheese products, turkey going in around 1pm for a 6p-ish dinner (gravy, biscuits, stuffing, you-name-it).

Planes, Trains and Automobiles at some point, might even go for a bike ride, it's a beautiful day.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
it's a beautiful day.

Love that U2 song -- and the video

Reading newspapers and books.

Edging my way into the papers... but today may never get past what's usually only a fun path to a coffee break - launch The New Yorker's jigsaw puzzle option.

One of the benefits of a subscription (not needed to do the puzzles, which are just random picks of covers from past issues) is that once I solve the puzzle I can indulge curiosity and log into the archives and page through that issue, date of which is at top left of the cover image.

Today bumped into the May 19th, 1980 cover... the rising times of the not-quite-yet-arrived Reagan era. Hah, and what do I find in there but a prescient cartoon by the ever and cleverly satirical S.Gross...

previewing the Reagan era (New Yorker, 1980 May 19).jpg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Shrimp thawing in the refrigerator, and it is a surprisingly nice and warmish day -- I even have a couple windows open! Might go for a walk along the boardwalk in a little while.... A couple of sparrows briefly visited the deck, hoping that they'd find a Thanksgiving treat set out for them, but alas, no. It was fun to see them again, if only for a minute.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Sipping Ethiopian coffee and reading books, (real ones), newspaper articles, and Twitter threads online.

Shrimp thawing in the refrigerator, and it is a surprisingly nice and warmish day -- I even have a couple windows open! Might go for a walk along the boardwalk in a little while.... A couple of sparrows briefly visited the deck, hoping that they'd find a Thanksgiving treat set out for them, but alas, no. It was fun to see them again, if only for a minute.

Enjoy Thanksgiving (above all, enjoy your shrimp).

Nice that the sparrows returned for an optimistic - if fruitless - fleeting visit; have you seen the squirrels and Smaug in recent weeks?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Thanks! I have indeed seen squirrels on my wanderings around the boardwalk and common grounds, but would be hard-pressed to properly definitively identify Smaug as separate from his all-too-similar brethren! They all look alike, especially when out in the common grounds area! Smaug isn't the only one with a bushy tail...... If I were to spot Mr Nervous, I'd recognize him, probably, by his skimpy tail, as that was an unusual sight, and of course "Ballsy Boy" was distinctive because of his anatomical noticeability, but most of the squirrels around here seem to be quite bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, so to speak.....

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Thanks! I have indeed seen squirrels on my wanderings around the boardwalk and common grounds, but would be hard-pressed to properly definitively identify Smaug as separate from his all-too-similar brethren! They all look alike, especially when out in the common grounds area! Smaug isn't the only one with a bushy tail...... If I were to spot Mr Nervous, I'd recognize him, probably, by his skimpy tail, as that was an unusual sight, and of course "Ballsy Boy" was distinctive because of his anatomical noticeability, but most of the squirrels around here seem to be quite bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, so to speak.....

Well, from what you had written, I would have considered Smaug to be the most confident, and possibly the most cheerfully greedy, of your bushy-tailed visitors.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Well, from what you had written, I would have considered Smaug to be the most confident, and possibly the most cheerfully greedy, of your bushy-tailed visitors.

Thing is, I had just three regular squirrel visitors to my deck -- usually just two -- and out on the common grounds area we have, hmmm, I'd say more than a dozen squirrels. Smaug was indeed confident and cheerfully greedy on the deck, but spotting him out in the wild is a different story..... Most squirrels really do look alike and usually one can't observe individual behaviors in the same way I could when Smaug, Mr Nervous and the third squirrel were on my deck in a small area where I could study them up close. In the common ground area they usually scamper off and dash up the closest tree the minute they see a human or a human-and-dog walking along the path.

Top Bottom
1 2