2021 Olympics

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The only reason France stood a chance is because a majority of their lineup was actual NBA players. If you flat out pit the best of the NBA vs the best any other country has to offer (without our players) it's a bloodbath, that's why they changed it up a while back.
The NBA has players from all over the world; it’s not just Americans anymore. This year’s NBA finals MVP was born in Greece to Nigerian parents.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I've been hearing this more & more. I don't know anything about gymnastics, but I thought this was an interesting explainer.
As I've said, it's a thing I can keep hearing / seeing. I wonder if there is a solution to this, because it seems a bit lopsidedly unfair out of concern for the rest of gymnastics.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1419446118195269638/

I keep reading how she does moves that even male gymnasts besides women will refuse to do some of her moves because they are too dangerous.

Doing it to "Tokyo Drift" 🤣

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
⬆️ That woman is flat-out amazing.
We've never seen anything like her, both as an olympian and a person she's an inspiration. She once liked a tweet of mine and that was more bitching than being blocked by Donald Trump lol.

Watching her and the rest of the team will definitely be the highlight of the entire thing for me.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
The only reason France stood a chance is because a majority of their lineup was actual NBA players. If you flat out pit the best of the NBA vs the best any other country has to offer (without our players) it's a bloodbath, that's why they changed it up a while back.
So, basically, Team USA would win if they were allowed to use their best players while their opponents were prohibited from using their best players? Marvelous! Not entirely sure what point your were trying to make there but it sure comes off as “sore loser”.

France didn’t buy a bunch of NBA players, NBA bought a bunch of french players. Playing in the NBA does not make one American.

It’s one thing to argue that NBA players shouldn’t be allowed in the Olympics at all or for something similar to what men’s association football is doing to keep pros out of it, that would make some sense. Arguing on the other hand that Team USA should be allowed to use NBA players while other countries should not, that’s pure rubbish.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Right, so it's NBA vs NBA. I watched and it was like any other pro game you would watch here in the states, what a waste of time.
It’s a lot more interesting than watching the USA “Dream Team” win by 50 points. When it was all amateurs, the US team did well, but they were not dominant.

And I think it’s great that we put the best athletes in the world into competition instead of limiting it to amateurs. It used to be that olympians could not earn money, so they worked their butts off for 4 years and got nothing? And they could “retire” after the olympics to get endorsement deals, which meant the best athletes were one-and-done with the Olympics. Nonsense. Meanwhile, the olympics machinery led to billions being earned by everybody else.

But let’s face it; I think they changed the rules because in communist countries, athletes who would have been pros in other countries (that had professional athletics) were demolishing the amateurs of other countries.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
So, basically, Team USA would win if they were allowed to use their best players while their opponents were prohibited from using their best players? Marvelous! Not entirely sure what point your were trying to make there but it sure comes off as “sore loser”.

France didn’t buy a bunch of NBA players, NBA bought a bunch of french players. Playing in the NBA does not make one American.

It’s one thing to argue that NBA players shouldn’t be allowed in the Olympics at all or for something similar to what men’s association football is doing to keep pros out of it, that would make some sense. Arguing on the other hand that Team USA should be allowed to use NBA players while other countries should not, that’s pure rubbish.
My point is this is the olympics and in reality it was nothing more than an all star game. It's hard for me to be a sore loser when both teams were stacked with NBA players. You have a single organization that drives the world's best players and it smacks more of a monopoly than anything.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
As I've said, it's a thing I can keep hearing / seeing. I wonder if there is a solution to this, because it seems a bit lopsidedly unfair out of concern for the rest of gymnastics.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1419446118195269638/

I keep reading how she does moves that even male gymnasts besides women will refuse to do some of her moves because they are too dangerous.

Doing it to "Tokyo Drift" 🤣

I think this puts judges in a tough position because they're witnessing a person with moves never seen before, on both the vault and the floor exercise she completely went (several steps) out of bounds yet still smoked all of her teammates. When you watch her you can see why, she's absolutely dynamic in every move she makes so a 3/10 deduction isn't enough to set her back.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I think this puts judges in a tough position because they're witnessing a person with moves never seen before, on both the vault and the floor exercise she completely went (several steps) out of bounds yet still smoked all of her teammates. When you watch her you can see why, she's absolutely dynamic in every move she makes so a 3/10 deduction isn't enough to set her back.
Forget the judges. To me it's about legacy.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1419649790929948674/

It's selectively deciding that since sliding the scale back WON'T affect things for her, why not? Is that the same argument that would be used for an athlete that could do one of Simone Biles moves successfully in a routine? Would the judges feel compelled to give the full score then, because it's a unique occurrence & done by someone other than Biles?

Someone else is going to come along and hit scores like Biles', but the question will be is it for doing moves of the same complexity or difficulty or for it being such a well executed routine with less difficult moves safely performed? We may never see anyone do the things Simone Biles does now again, but we will see scores like hers again. The point is, is she being judged fairly in that regard?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
One of the charming things with the olympics is that odd sports nobody watches suddenly get some spotlight. For a brief moment people passionately care about sports they’d never even heard of before.

That said, I still want the best athletes from every participating country to compete even if I don’t know anything about the events they’re competing in.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
One of the charming things with the olympics is that odd sports nobody watches suddenly get some spotlight. For a brief moment people passionately care about sports they’d never even heard of before.

That said, I still want the best athletes from every participating country to compete even if I don’t know anything about the events they’re competing in.
Right, you even got to watch the NBA play the NBA. Even in the Olympics American capitalists have their fingers in everything.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Like the USA somehow managing to win the Gold in Curling. Curling!

This is a sport most Americans have no clue about, yet we cheered that team like they were the 1980's Miracle on Ice team (Ok, maybe not that much ;))

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Right, you even got to watch the NBA play the NBA. Even in the Olympics American capitalists have their fingers in everything.
As I see it the two options are to either allow the best athletes in an event or to ditch the event.

Men’s association football for example should absolutely be ditched. What’s the point of a sub-par competition?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Like the USA somehow managing to win the Gold in Curling. Curling!

This is a sport most Americans have no clue about, yet we cheered that team like they were the 1980's Miracle on Ice team (Ok, maybe not that much ;))
You get the feeling that any average Joe can get a feel for the game and join one of these teams lol. Seriously, outside of gymnastics this is my next favorite olympic event.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
And I think it’s great that we put the best athletes in the world into competition instead of limiting it to amateurs.

See I disagree. I would rather see amateurs playing their hearts out for their country than a bunch of multi-millionaires playing to increase their brand. Would the competition be as good, no, but the emotion would be real.

Also see no need for soccer, golf or tennis. Basically any sport where there is something the athletes would rather have over a gold medal, shouldn't be in the Olympics. For soccer its the World Cup, for Golf it is majors, for Tennis, Grand Slams. Baseball & Hockey should also go back to amateurs.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
You get the feeling that any average Joe can get a feel for the game and join one of these teams lol. Seriously, outside of gymnastics this is my next favorite olympic event.

My college roommate lives in Chicago. His neighborhood bar has curling leagues just like bars have dart leagues. They also have a "travel" teams that compete against other bars. Only in the north. LOL.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
Also see no need for soccer, golf or tennis. Basically any sport where there is something the athletes would rather have over a gold medal, shouldn't be in the Olympics. For soccer its the World Cup, for Golf it is majors, for Tennis, Grand Slams.
100% agree with this.

Top Bottom
1 2