A16 Bionic

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
It's miniscule improvement. That's why Apple never even highlighted the A16 GPU because it's the same. They don't even mention it being new on their website.
They just say "5-core GPU".
15fps to 20 or 23 is a small improvement? TIL.

They don’t mention it because they don’t want to draw too much attention to the fact that the 14 is using an old soc.

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
15fps to 20 or 23 is a small improvement? TIL.
Well in 1080P and 1440P its the same. Also remember iPhone 14 series got better thermal system. Any other improvement is cause of LPDRR5.

I don't need to argue with you, Apple themselves never said the GPU is new.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
It's miniscule improvement. That's why Apple never even highlighted the A16 GPU because it's the same. They don't even mention it being new on their website.
They just say "5-core GPU".
Well, Gfxbench website lists the median score of the iPhone 13 Pro in 4K Aztec Ruins High at 15.3 fps, and the iPhone 14 Pro at 23.0 fps, which would be a 51% improvement, hardly a minuscule improvement. I don't believe it, but I don't believe the 0%/-1% improvement either. I'll wait until the official review embargo lifts, as we're seeing contradicting leaked results.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Well in 1080P and 1440P its the same. Also remember iPhone 14 series got better thermal system. Any other improvement is cause of LPDRR5.

Well, as far as I can see there's no difference if you look at the best bench result (both iPhone 13 Pro and 14 Pro are 54fps), but median bench results is 38fps for the 13 Pro vs 54fps for the 14 Pro.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score

Why would you exclude the most demanding resolution? All the benchmarks I’ve seen show improvement. The amount varies. Geekbench is 8% iirc and Antutu is huge. Gfxbench seems to show a significant improvement.

We’ll see how it pans out. It’s early days but I don’t see how the conclusion that the gpu is unchanged can be justified.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Well, as far as I can see there's no difference if you look at the best bench result (both iPhone 13 Pro and 14 Pro are 54fps), but median bench results is 38fps for the 13 Pro vs 54fps for the 14 Pro.
I'm going to run GFXBench on my iPhone 13 Pro now. Maybe those 13 Pro 'best' scores are pre-production A16 iPhones misreporting their model number? It's a huge deviation from the median, and it just happens that the best 'iPhone 13 Pro' result matches the median iPhone 14 Pro... could be just a coincidence, sure, but...

Another explanation (if the GPUs truly are the same) could be that the iPhone 13 Pro's best scores pop up when that test is run alone, without previous thermal throttling from other benches, and the iPhone 14 Pro just doesn't throttle due to the new thermal system so the median almost matches the best result. Idk. Still should show some improvement due to memory bandwidth improvements.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Another explanation (if the GPUs truly are the same) could be that the iPhone 13 Pro's best scores pop up when that test is run alone, without previous thermal throttling from other benches, and the iPhone 14 Pro just doesn't throttle due to the new thermal system so the median almost matches the best result. Idk. Still should show some improvement due to memory bandwidth improvements.
Maybe this is it: testing a single test (to avoid thermal throttling), I can get quite close to the median iPhone 14 Pro results: I got 20.6 fps in 4K Aztec Ruins (High Tier) Offscreen (median iPhone 13 Pro: 15.8 fps, median iPhone 14 Pro: 23fps).

The result I got the first time (running all tests) in 4K Aztec Ruins (High Tier) Offscreen is 11.5fps, even worse than the median iPhone 13 Pro result, so clearly thermal throttling plays an important role here.

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
E
Maybe this is it: testing a single test (to avoid thermal throttling), I can get quite close to the median iPhone 14 Pro results: I got 20.6 fps in 4K Aztec Ruins (High Tier) Offscreen (median iPhone 13 Pro: 15.8 fps, median iPhone 14 Pro: 23fps).

The result I got the first time (running all tests) in 4K Aztec Ruins (High Tier) Offscreen is 11.5fps, even worse than the median iPhone 13 Pro result, so clearly thermal throttling plays an important role here.
See, any improvement you see on iPhone 14 Pro is due to the new thermal design and LPDRR5 not because of a new GPU design.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
See, any improvement you see on iPhone 14 Pro is due to the new thermal design and LPDRR5 not because of a new GPU design.
Could be, but I'll still wait for proper reviews to come. Just as my 4K Aztec Ruins (High Tier) Offscreen got a low score the first time I ran it (because I ran all tests at once), the leaked iPhone 14 Pro results could be lower for the same reason. That'd also explain why there's not much of a difference between the median and best scores while in other results they're huge.

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
I dislike gfxbench, 3dmark wildlife is better imo, but has anyone had a chance to run gfxbench on their new iPhone 14 Pro (Max) yet?

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
This is my score.
61DD6CDC-B214-4331-9C0B-D84203B16FA4.png

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I dislike gfxbench, 3dmark wildlife is better imo, but has anyone had a chance to run gfxbench on their new iPhone 14 Pro (Max) yet?

First screenful of scores attached. Don’t see an easy way to export from gfxbench.

Attachments

• 714C852E-A663-4F1A-9DC0-92C92E8FB291.jpeg
    714C852E-A663-4F1A-9DC0-92C92E8FB291.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom
1 2