American Evangelicals now think Jesus was too woke

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was wondering when someone would start saying this.

[The book] was the result of having multiple pastors tell me, essentially, the same story about quoting the Sermon on the Mount, parenthetically, in their preaching — "turn the other cheek" — [and] to have someone come up after to say, "Where did you get those liberal talking points?" And what was alarming to me is that in most of these scenarios, when the pastor would say, "I'm literally quoting Jesus Christ," the response would not be, "I apologize." The response would be, "Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak." And when we get to the point where the teachings of Jesus himself are seen as subversive to us, then we're in a crisis.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I heard the author interviewed on several podcasts. Good insite. I've also heard an interview from a former evangelical leader who said they have moved away from Jesus to taking political power and control.

What I didn't know or realize was that there really is no leader of the evangelical church. It's not really its own denomination like Catholics or Mormons. Basically, any conman, and many are, can set up a congregation claiming it's roughly based on the bible and they are in, tax exemption and all. There's a loose attempt at an umbrella governing body but being a member of it or not doesn't really make any difference. More often than not this governing body is about smashing anything progressive or anti-patriarchy in their membership. Equitable betterment of society plays no part in their ethos.

I've said before, the biggest deterrent to following Jesus is people claiming they follow Jesus.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Those are people who are "Christian" not because they believe the Bible to be the word of God, but because they believe Christianity is or should be our national religion. It's not a belief in a higher power, it's a belief that America's religion is better than anyone else's religion. It's about being in the right circles, not being in the right church. They have no faith, they just have a place they need to be on Sundays to maintain their standing in the community. Being a Christian isn't a way of life to them, it's 1 hour a week where you try to stay awake.

I guess when a lying, cheating, scumbag, conman, politician pretends to be a Christian while also pretending to be a President, the rest of the cult pretends as well. He set the bar pretty low.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

Because Jesus? It’s both horrifying and pathetic to learn spectacles like this actually pull in and hold crowds to supposedly guide their life in a better direction. It looks like a laughable corporate synergy conference most people would do their best to get out of.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you go on YouTube and watch religious-cringe videos, the stunning part is that most of these obvious scammers still have congregations after being exposed.

The dichotomy of so-called “evangelicals” being Trump supporters is like parody. This is political theatre masquerading as “church”.

Would be like Joe Exotic endorsing Carol Baskin. Defies logic.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to judge all Christian’s by the beliefs of one man or one cohort. It is apparent however this is probably not that uncommon of a belief among your extreme evangelicals.

And this is a perfect example of what happens when you try to involve your religion in every area of politics… you end up having to contort your religion to meet political goals.

If there is a god, I think it’s a bit presumptuous to assume anyone knows his nuanced stance on political matters. I guess except for the Catholic Pope 😜

Top Bottom
1 2