Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

D

Deleted member 199

@lizkat; @Stephen.R:

Actually, usually, I tend to roast beets (a recommendation from the German woman who sells them to me) - all root vegetables respond well to roasting, - drizzle with olive oil, in a roasting tin, or wraped in foil - as it caramalises them.
I've seen references to roasting them actually, just never got around to trying it.

Do you remove their skins first, or just clean them first and them peel after as with boiling? (Or are the skins edible once roasted?)

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I've seen references to roasting them actually, just never got around to trying it.

Do you remove their skins first, or just clean them first and them peel after as with boiling? (Or are the skins edible once roasted?)

No, I don't peel them before roasting (think of the mess), - just a quick clean - but, yes, I do peel them once they have been roasted.

Roasting gives them a lovely sweet flavour; actually, when roasting beets, (and even the small ones take longer than you think to be fully cooked when roasting), I will usually do a dish of roasted root vegetables (parsnip, carrot, onion, sweet potato, garlic), served with sharp greens (wilted chard, or spinach, or some other greens).

D

Deleted member 199

We just went to the cash&carry 2 days ago so it'll be a while before I'm back somewhere hat has even a slim chance of having any, but I'll try to remember to get some more in.. 6 weeks time, and will definitely try roasting them.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

They are also lovely peeled, grated, and fried/sautéed (a delicious version I was introduced to in the tiny kitchen of a friend's home, in Vilnius, Lithuania well over a quarter of a cetury ago) - but do be careful of their juices.

This fool was wearing nicely pressed cream khakis the day I had (enjoyed, devoured) that dish.

That particular dish - which was was served with fried/sautéed onions and eggs, & garlic, lovely rustic bread to accompany - was my first introduction to the idea that beets - an eastern European staple - could be really tasty.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
We just went to the cash&carry 2 days ago so it'll be a while before I'm back somewhere hat has even a slim chance of having any, but I'll try to remember to get some more in.. 6 weeks time, and will definitely try roasting them.

Just remember that they will take longer to cook (when roasting) than you think.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Today early on it was a lot colder than I'd expected so breakfast instead of some yogurt and fruit turned into a rummaging about for something warm instead.. so it came to chili beans atop some leftover rice pilaf with an egg, "over easy", nestled alongside. Just the ticket along with some freshly brewed hot coffee. And I must remember that June here is still a dicey time to leave the windows open on a clear night. It must have been 50ºF in the kitchen this morning, had to go back upstairs for another layer of clothes!

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
anyone want some salami?
dv2mw0qcxi471.jpg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
you did not notice the hand salami? this was a pic I found but man that hand salami is crazing looking.

Actually, no, I didn't.

Not until you mentioned it, and then I had to look for it.

My mind, my mouth (and my very imperfect bespectacled eyes), all focussed on what I thought the post was all about, namely, tasty Food.

And good salami is tasty food.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Actually, no, I didn't.

Not until you mentioned it, and then I had to look for it.

My mind, my mouth (and my very imperfect bespectacled eyes), all focussed on what I thought the post was all about, namely, tasty Food.

And good salami is tasty food.
ya I love salami but that one would be a little weird. the fingers would be good though (G)

lizkat

Reaction score
Weather has dropped off a bit grey and cold here for a couple days (better incoming starting tomorrow) and it doesn't feel like a great night for just a dinner salad. So it's some chicken breast pieces I marinated in teriyaki sauce overnight, then just plan to stir fry with some red bell peppers and broccoli florets (i will have slightly blanched those before the stir fry) along with some garlic, sliced onion and thin slices of a skinny yellow squash. All over just enough white rice so I can swear there was some.... ☺️

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Weather has dropped off a bit grey and cold here for a couple days (better incoming starting tomorrow) and it doesn't feel like a great night for just a dinner salad. So it's some chicken breast pieces I marinated in teriyaki sauce overnight, then just plan to stir fry with some red bell peppers and broccoli florets (i will have slightly blanched those before the stir fry) along with some garlic, sliced onion and thin slices of a skinny yellow squash. All over just enough white rice so I can swear there was some.... ☺️

Sounds as though it was a delicious stir fry.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Cheese shall feature for dinner this evening:

I paid a visit to the cheesemonger's and bought some cheese today.

They included: Camembert, mature Cashel Blue, Gorgonzola Cremosa, sheep's Gouda, aged Gruyère, Reblocon, Délice de Bourgogne, and Mothais sur Feuille - Fromage de Chèvre, a specific goat's cheese that was recommended.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Was debating ordering in sushi, but then realised that I have plenty (as in, a sufficient quantity of) perfectly good organic, free range, eggs in the fridge.

So, fried eggs it was; organic, free range, delicious.

lizkat

Reaction score
Too hot to think of cooking much of anything lately. Today for lunch it was a chopped hardboiled egg over chilled diced beets on a bed of Boston lettuce, topped with a home-brew Thousand Island type of dressing.

But if we have a thunderstorm later that bring the temperature down some and leaves us a breeze, I'll have stir fried chicken with broccoli and red bell peppers on just enough white rice to saw I think I saw some in there. Otherwise it's the old standby, diced-up cucumbers and Roma tomatoes with hummus tucked into toasted pita halves. And I need one evening cool enough to restock the supply of hard-boiled eggs... I can barely stand the idea of bringing a kettle to boil now for a cup of tea in the morning.

Stay cool and safe everyone.... unless some of you are from the other hemisphere, in which case treasure that snow, eh? :)

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Yesterday, I prepared scrambled eggs (organic, free range, whisked with a little sea salt and black pepper, and a few dessertspoons of double cream) with sauteéd, chopped/diced bacon rashers.

Almost addictively delicious.

lizkat

Reaction score
Finally cool enough to make a soup for this evening. White beans precooked and added late to sauteed carrots, celery, tomatoes, cabbage, simmered in vegetable stock w/ salt, black pepper, marjoram, thyme for adjustment to seasoning. To be served alongside, some crusty bread rubbed with garlic, brushed w/ olive oil and run under the broiler for a minute. Grateful for the t-storms that landed here yesterday without bringing along any great gusts of wind or hailstones... dropped the temperature 20 degrees F in a matter of ten minutes, and ushered in what promises to be soup-worthy weather by nightfall now for almost a week.

Somehow I never get tired of cucumbers, tomatoes and hummus in pita during a heat wave, but I do welcome a switchup from that (and otherwise rounds of cold chicken and salads) to something a little more robust in the cooler evenings. And... I confess to having bothered with home fried potatoes and scrambled eggs this morning!

U

User.191

Tonight was takeout from a local chicken nugget place that we like to frequent - who also do a real nice Mac n Cheese with Bacon.

Top Bottom
1 2