Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Dinner took the form of poached hake (poached in liquid seasoned with miso paste and chicken stock, in which I had earlier parboiled the potatoes), steamed spinach, Vichy carrots and roast potatoes; all the vegetables were organic.

Last edited:

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Sounds delicious.
It was. I saw your post earlier, and got a hankering, and then we ran out of carrots. We ran to our local grocery store, looked at what they had, but none fit our dietary restrictions. The chef asked if he could make something we wanted, so we split an order. I haven't had a Corona since Costco stopped carrying them about 4 months into quarantine lockdown.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
It was. I saw your post earlier, and got a hankering, and then we ran out of carrots. We ran to our local grocery store, looked at what they had, but none fit our dietary restrictions. The chef asked if he could make something we wanted, so we split an order. I haven't had a Corona since Costco stopped carrying them about 4 months into quarantine lockdown.

Nigiri is a lot easier to prepare than the classic sushi (maki) rolls, and, I have come to the realisation that this is the kind of food I can easily and effortlessly eat again and again and again.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Nigiri is a lot easier to prepare than the classic sushi (maki) rolls, and, I have come to the realisation that this is the kind of food I can easily and effortlessly eat again and again and again.
We have both bamboo and silicone mats for making rolls. Once you have the prepped sushi rice, canned tuna, salmon, crab, etc are easy to make both spicy and plain, and with cucumber, avocado, etc. You have the basis for a bunch of different tastes.

I have not been ready to venture into sushi grade raw fish.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
We have both bamboo and silicone mats for making rolls. Once you have the prepped sushi rice, canned tuna, salmon, crab, etc are easy to make both spicy and plain, and with cucumber, avocado, etc. You have the basis for a bunch of different tastes.

I have not been ready to venture into sushi grade raw fish.
Mine comes from a reputable fishmonger, a fishmonger that I know also supplies the best (award-winning) Japanese sushi place in the nearby city.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Poached brill in a miso and chicken stock, flavoured with Japanese rice wine, a little soy sauce, a little Asian fish sauce, black pepper, in which the potatoes had been earlier parboiled, and, in which, sliced leeks and chopped carrots, - and, later - (after the fish had been removed) finely chopped chard and French onions had also spent some time, served with roasted potatoes.

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Long day of assorted sewing adventures and putting-away chores... so I'm ready for something simple and fast for supper tonight: strips of teriyaki-marinated chicken, sliced onion, garlic all popped into a hot skillet, freshly steamed broccoli and julienned carrots tossed into the pan for 30 seconds of a hello-teriyaki experience at the end. Goes well on rice or even tucked into pita and doesn't take much standing around watching time. Neighbor doorstepped me a gigundo head of nice broccoli, so I've cut that into florets enough for about three nights of quick stir fries.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Long day of assorted sewing adventures and putting-away chores... so I'm ready for something simple and fast for supper tonight: strips of teriyaki-marinated chicken, sliced onion, garlic all popped into a hot skillet, freshly steamed broccoli and julienned carrots tossed into the pan for 30 seconds of a hello-teriyaki experience at the end. Goes well on rice or even tucked into pita and doesn't take much standing around watching time. Neighbor doorstepped me a gigundo head of nice broccoli, so I've cut that into florets enough for about three nights of quick stir fries.

Broccoli (first steamed, then stir-fried) goes amazingly well with (a generous amount, say, six or eight, or more) anchovies (melted into the olive oil) and lashings and lashings of garlic, and some onion, served with either pasta or rice.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Monkfish fillet (chopped into goujons, or large chunks) poached in coconut sauce (several cloves of garlic, gently sautéed, some anchovies dissolved in the oil, fish sauce, brown sugar, freshly squeezed lemon juice - I had no limes - Thai red curry paste, a little mirin, and coconut milk), sprinkled with chopped French onion, and served with basmati rice.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The oven is currently playing host to a dish (based, loosely, on a Portuguese recipe), of monkfish with cherry tomatoes, onions, garlic, potatoes, - all organic - seasoned with sea salt, black pepper, pimentón (smoked, sweet paprika), white wine, olive oil, and a little stock.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Sashimi with salmon, tuna and sushi rice.

Served with the trimmings: Pickled ginger, Japanese soy sauce, and wasabi.

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Pan-seared tilapia fillets using light olive oil, seasoned w/ smoked paprika, dash of salt, black pepper plus a few torn leaves of basil and a slice of lemon underneath each piece of fish while the second side cooked. Delicious with steamed peas and some small quartered boiling potatoes dressed with butter and lemon juice. Easing my way into the season of chowders and soups for supper.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Pan-seared tilapia fillets using light olive oil, seasoned w/ smoked paprika, dash of salt, black pepper plus a few torn leaves of basil and a slice of lemon underneath each piece of fish while the second side cooked. Delicious with steamed peas and some small quartered boiling potatoes dressed with butter and lemon juice. Easing my way into the season of chowders and soups for supper.

Sounds delicious. Yum.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Dinner this (winter) evening is based (loosely) on a Portuguese recipe, with a couple of tweaks.

Essentially it is fish (monkfish cheeks), in a mix of olive oil (generous amounts) and wine or stock; I used stock.

In fact, I used chicken stock, both because it is more flavoursome and less salty than most vegtable stock; plus, monkfish is a fish that - very often - in Iberian cooking, puts in an appearance accompanied by meat (sometimes taking the form of bacon lardons, very frequently something like chorizo).

Also in the mix were roughly chopped potatoes, onions and halved cherry tomatoes; a tweak took the form of an added, chopped carrot.

The recipe called for four cloves of garlic. Naturally, I doubled that. Salt (sea salt), black pepper (freshly ground), pimentón (sweet, smoked paprika, a staple of Iberian cuisine) were also added.

This then spent around an hour and a half, perhaps a little more - an hour forty minutes - (though the fish was added after almost an hour) in a preheated oven at 180-200C. (350-400F).

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2