Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

U

User.191

Slummed it today - since the 9:00 am CEO meeting didn't start until 11:30am we ended up getting lunch ordered in so just threw some OKish Pizza down the throat.

Hardly exciting or inspiring. Not sure if it was that nutritional. Pretty sure it was calorific up the wazoo though.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Slummed it today - since the 9:00 am CEO meeting didn't start until 11:30am we ended up getting lunch ordered in so just threw some OKish Pizza down the throat.

Hardly exciting or inspiring. Not sure if it was that nutritional. Pretty sure it was calorific up the wazoo though.

But was it tasty?

There are days when nothing else will do - nothing else will "hit that spot" - except pizza, especially really good pizza.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
For once, I decided to treat myself to a long, lingering, relaxed breakfast.

Freshly squeezed orange juice (most mornings, I have freshly squeezed grapefruit juice - I do the squeezing myself, on one of those old fashioned, manual squeezers), and coffee: The coffee was a blend (of my own devising) of Kenyan and Ethiopian coffees, served with organic hot milk.

An omelet with free range, organic eggs (no seasoning at all; for some strange, inexplicable reason, I craved just a simple omelet), and two slices of toasted rye bread, with butter and (French) apricot jam.

The apricot jam - which I love - featured simply because I forgot to buy marmalade yesterday.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
A nice autumn lunch on a sunny day: Teriyaki-glazed medallions of carrot and parsnip alongside some French-cut green beans and some leftover rice pilaf that had a mix of wild and white rice with a little orzo and some marjoram. I just steamed the carrots and parsnips briefly and then pan-glazed them, worked out great. Added some dominoes of a little leftover tofu to the pan during the glazing for a protein boost. I steamed the green beans and scooped the pilaf into the steamer alongside the beans when they were almost done. Not much work... and zero leftovers this time.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Another long, lingering - and thoroughly enjoyable - breakfast.

Freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice, followed by an omelet (organic, free range eggs), with finely chopped parsley, finely chopped chives, and finely chopped (and seasoned) cherry tomatoes (all organic).

Coffee (Honduran, delivered yesterday), served with hot milk (organic); two slices of toasted rye bread, with butter and three fruit marmalade (orange, lemon and grapefruit).

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
Still on a teriyaki kick... and having had enough to do today that I didn't fancy spending a lot of time in the kitchen, even if I do like to cook with abandon sometimes. So: some steamed fresh broccoli florets and medallions of carrot, half a sweet onion cut in wedges and sautéed for a bit before being tossed with the other veggies, tofu and the teriyaki, served immediately over some reheated brown rice I had cooked this morning and stashed in the fridge for a fast underpinning of dishes like this. Love the fall-like mix of colors and was tempted to add some sliced red bell pepper, but I'm hanging onto that to have with eggs later in the week. Used a dash or two of red pepper flake instead to garnish my quick supper.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Still on a teriyaki kick... and having had enough to do today that I didn't fancy spending a lot of time in the kitchen, even if I do like to cook with abandon sometimes. So: some steamed fresh broccoli florets and medallions of carrot, half a sweet onion cut in wedges and sautéed for a bit before being tossed with the other veggies, tofu and the teriyaki, served immediately over some reheated brown rice I had cooked this morning and stashed in the fridge for a fast underpinning of dishes like this. Love the fall-like mix of colors and was tempted to add some sliced red bell pepper, but I'm hanging onto that to have with eggs later in the week. Used a dash or two of red pepper flake instead to garnish my quick supper.

Sounds delicious.

What do you use for teriyaki, and how do you use teriyaki in cooking?

My fishmonger has teriyaki sauce on his site (along with other Japanese essentials), but - almost uniquely among his beckoning delights - this is one treat I have yet to buy.

lizkat

Reaction score
Sounds delicious.

What do you use for teriyaki, and how do you use teriyaki in cooking?

My fishmonger has teriyaki sauce on his site (along with other Japanese essentials), but - almost uniquely among his beckoning delights - this is one treat I have yet to buy.

Teriyaki sauce - I make a simple one from soy sauce, minced garlic and ginger, honey and/or brown sugar, stirred together after sautée of the ginger and garlic in a tiny bit of grapeseed oil, then mix in some of a slurry of water and cornstarch and let simmer until it thickens. I will sometimes strain out the garlic and ginger bits before adding a thickener, it depends entirely on the dish i'm making, and also on how lazy I can be sometimes. One can leave out the cornstarch to let it be more like a glazing sauce if desired, and can also use some sherry or rice vinegar instead of part of the water, etc.

I usually keep a couple bottles of commercially prepared teriyaki in the pantry as well. Any port in a storm, I say, when it comes to dressings and condiments that one can elect to make when not short of time.

As for what I use it with - dishes that feature steamed or stir-fried fresh vegetables, strips of chicken or occasionally a piece of fish, and usually served w/ some kind of rice or once in awhile a long pasta.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Dinner this evening is based on, or derived from, a Basque dish, which goes by the name of Marmitako, and is one in which tuna plays a starring role.

The dish (recipes vary, but are broadly similar) features finely chopped onions, minced garlic (eight cloves for me, rather than the three or four suggested by various recipes), green peppers (finely diced, and I also used mild chilli peppers), chopped cherry tomatoes, and chopped potatoes.

These are all (in turn) slowly sautéed in olive oil, to which sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and dulce pimentón (smoked, sweet, paprika), and its hotter cousin, (picante pimentón) are added.

The recipe called for stock and/or white wine; I dissolved around eight to ten anchovy fillets in the olive oil to give a deeper depth of flavour, and used chicken stock cubes.

Once everything has been sautéed and is soft (a lot longer than the lying times given in the various recipes - onions slowly cooked down to caramalised deliciousness do not take five minutes, they take closer to thirty to arrive at this happy state).

Anyway, once the stock was added, the dish was transferred to a casserole and found its way into the oven, where it spent the next hour and a half bubbling quietly away to itself.

Cubed (and seasoned, with sea salt and black pepper) tuna was added around fifteen minutes before I planned to serve it, and fresh parsley (finely diced) was served as a garnish when dinner was (finally) served.

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
One last fling with Indian Summer, since it popped up here for 3/4 of a day (preceded by rain, to be followed by more rain and then snow)

So... primavera-type salad for lunch: torn lettuce, sliced red cabbage, coarsely grated carrots, sliced radishes and sweet onion, some snap peas and a simple oil and vinegar dressing. French bread rubbed with a garlic clove after running the slices under broiler long enough to almost get a tan. A little Havarti cheese on the side, and a sliced apple. For some reason I don't care for the sweetnes of apple in salads, but I like them with cheese later.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Was in the mood for a long, lingering, leisurely breakfast today:

An omelette (organic, free range eggs), with finely chopped French onions and finely diced fresh parsley; freshly squeezed citrus juice (a mix of pink grapefruit and orange).

Coffee (a blend - of my own devising - of coffee from El Salvador and Honduras), with organic hot milk.

Two slices of toasted rye bread with butter and three fruit (lemon, orange, and grapefruit), and no sugar, sweetened with fruit juice - marmalade.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
... and a sliced apple. For some reason I don't care for the sweetnes of apple in salads, but I like them with cheese later.

Personally, I prefer apples that are both somewhat sweet, yet have a balancing tartness and slight sour flavour.

Some of the locally cultivated varieties, the varieties I salivate over in the farmers' market (rather than the varieties seen in shops) come with this tingling tartness along with a little sweetness.

Mind you, I also love cooking apples, and have been known to devour them - I vividly recall my mother (who shared my preference for tart, sour fruit) offering me slices of cooking apple while engaged in the process of making (baking?) preparing, apple tarts, when I was a child.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Tonight's dinner was a mild and gentle dish, yet with a pronounced Asian influence.

Poached monkfish fillets (sliced) in a stock: The stock - tasty yet gentle - comprised of chicken stock (a cheat with a dissolved cube, we don't need to be purist about everything), dissolved miso paste, some mirin - a generous tablespoon, Japanese rice wine, and soy sauce.

Basmati rice (thank God for the rice cooker, and the fact that the carer introduced such fool-proof technology to my life), drizzled with sesame oil; steamed greens.

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
today is my vegetable day so I try to eat them as much as I can. green beans with lots f meat since it is my whole meal. cook bacon then onion (my wife lost the onion so I had to use dried) jsut enough water to cook but nto to dilute. some country ham to get the sand and smoke ands garlic and pepper. almost done I added ham and sausage.
IMG_3605.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Usual TDay fare, Cornish hens, cornbread stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed sweet potatoes with butter and brown sugar, rose wine.

lizkat

Reaction score
Sweet potatoes with butter, salt and pepper, long superfine green beans, pan stuffing w/ multigrain bread, carrot, onion, celery, mushrooms and chicken broth... and pan-seared salmon on the side, almost as afterthought. For me it's about the pan stuffing. I was always the one caught standing in front of the fridge with a fork at midnight making sure the leftover stuffing wouldn't overflow the dish it was stored in overnight.

Top Bottom
1 2