Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
My salmon filet is thawing and instead of my go-to of marinating it in Trader Joe's Island Soyaki, I'm thinking of baking it using TJ's Thai sweet chili sauce cut with a wee bit of soy. Lime, ginger and scallions would be nice to add but sadly, I don't have any on hand. I'll serve it with my usual sides of Jasmin rice and fresh steamed broccoli.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
My salmon filet is thawing and instead of my go-to of marinating it in Trader Joe's Island Soyaki, I'm thinking of baking it using TJ's Thai sweet chili sauce cut with a wee bit of soy. Lime, ginger and scallions would be nice to add but sadly, I don't have any on hand. I'll serve it with my usual sides of Jasmin rice and fresh steamed broccoli.

Lemons always work wonderfully well in such a dish, if you have them.

And I wouldn't look askace at a blend of salt and sugar, as well; and chillies, also, never go amiss.

Do enjoy.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i grew up with beef liver and onions on occasion and loved it.
My wife likes chicken livers, but I never warmed up to them.
During thanksgiving I ate some left over chicken livers from a cornbread stuffing recipe, cooked of course and loved them mixed with picante sauce, salt and pepper.
Tonight I took some new chicken livers coated them in flour, sautéed them in butter and olive oil with minced onions and minced garlic. OMG they're good. Maybe I am missing iron in my diet? :unsure:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
i grew up with beef liver and onions on occasion and loved it.
My wife likes chicken livers, but I never warmed up to them.
During thanksgiving I ate some left over chicken livers from a cornbread stuffing recipe, cooked of course and loved them mixed with picante sauce, salt and pepper.
Tonight I took some new chicken livers coated them in flour, sautéed them in butter and olive oil with minced onions and minced garlic. OMG they're good. Maybe I am missing iron in my diet? :unsure:

It could well be, that you are missing iron in your diet.

I'm not a vegetarian, still less am I a vegan (and nor will ever become one - I cannot conceive of a world where dairy - especially cheese - and eggs no longer play a role in my diet), actually, these days, I eat very little meat, and go for weeks (closer to months, at this stage) without meat.

Until I start craving, dreaming of, fantasising about, thinking of in idle moments - treats such as Iberico ham, or fillet steak, rare lamb cutlets, ham hock, poached chicken thighs, sausages, chorizo with my fish, or even - perish the thought - gourmet burgers; that is when I realise that something (possibly iron?) is missing on my diet, for such sustained and serious cravings usually feature when greed transforms into need.

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Omelet for me tonight - with chopped red bell peppers, a few sliced white mushrooms, and a large handful of trimmed and chopped kale leaves, all sauteed for a bit in olive oil before adding two scrambled eggs, then topping with cheese before the folding over... seasoned with some dried Mediterranean herbs, freshly ground black pepper, dash of salt, served with triangles of pan-toasted multigrain bread onto which I'd put a little olive oil and when done, just a light shake of powdered garlic. Happy camper. Nice for a night on the chilly side already, and topped off with a relatively rare extra cup of coffee. I want to stay up for the whole of a movie later on, but the coffee at this hour was doubtless an overshoot and will still be sloshing around in my brain at midnight. Well that's what an audiobook is for, they say... "belated bedtime stories".

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Omelet for me tonight - with chopped red bell peppers, a few sliced white mushrooms, and a large handful of trimmed and chopped kale leaves, all sauteed for a bit in olive oil before adding two scrambled eggs, then topping with cheese before the folding over... seasoned with some dried Mediterranean herbs, freshly ground black pepper, dash of salt, served with triangles of pan-toasted multigrain bread onto which I'd put a little olive oil and when done, just a light shake of powdered garlic. Happy camper. Nice for a night on the chilly side already, and topped off with a relatively rare extra cup of coffee. I want to stay up for the whole of a movie later on, but the coffee at this hour was doubtless an overshoot and will still be sloshing around in my brain at midnight. Well that's what an audiobook is for, they say... "belated bedtime stories".

Sounds absolutely delicious, nay divine.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
What you are going to eat for Christmas dinner, that is if you are fixing anything just a little different or fancy? Our plan is to make that super cornbread stuffing with chicken livers, apple pieces and onions, that we had for Thanksgiving, plus some ham, sweet potatoes, and maybe some other something or another. ;)

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Lunch was a (very large) slice of (amazing) tarte tatin (which I had picked up earlier this morning from the award winning chef who had prepared it for me - it was still warm...) served with a glass of frshly squeezed orange juice and a mug of Ethiopian coffee with a dash of organic double cream.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
What you are going to eat for Christmas dinner, that is if you are fixing anything just a little different or fancier? Our plan is to make that super cornbread stuffing with chicken livers, apple pieces and onions, that we ate for Thanksgiving, plus some ham, sweet potatoes, and maybe some other something or another. ;)

I plan on having prime rib roast, cranberry salad, and Orange Stuff for Christmas dinner this year.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Yesterday my wife decided to get all Christmassy and made me scrambled eggs—green.

We had a laugh and made the requisite Dr. Seuss jokes, so today she tried a variation of it—red scrambled eggs.

9B323F12-E002-44EB-B89E-3779F53BFB6A.jpeg

I told her the thought that immediately came to mind: I’ve thrown up stuff that looks like that.

She didn’t appreciate the thought.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
What you are going to eat for Christmas dinner, that is if you are fixing anything just a little different or fancy? Our plan is to make that super cornbread stuffing with chicken livers, apple pieces and onions, that we had for Thanksgiving, plus some ham, sweet potatoes, and maybe some other something or another. ;)

Shin beef - or ham hock (ethical, environmentally aware, organic, raised by the people who slaughtered, aged and sold it) ; something that requires long, slow, relaxed, cooking.

I also have fillet steak, but shall treat myself to that later in the week.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Holiday dinners usually feature lots of pan stuffing if I have anything to say about it, so I'll have some of that made with sauteed mushrooms, celery, onions added to the toasted bread cubes that I season with marjoram and thyme. Then just some poached chicken to go with that, and sides of steamed sweet potato medallions and skinny green beans. Cranberry relish on the plate too! Not much fancier than a Sunday dinner, but then I don't often make a formal Sunday dinner, so... it will still seem special even without company around to share it with.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Holiday dinners usually feature lots of pan stuffing if I have anything to say about it, so I'll have some of that made with sauteed mushrooms, celery, onions added to the toasted bread cubes that I season with marjoram and thyme. Then just some poached chicken to go with that, and sides of steamed sweet potato medallions and skinny green beans. Cranberry relish on the plate too! Not much fancier than a Sunday dinner, but then I don't often make a formal Sunday dinner, so... it will still seem special even without company around to share it with.

Yum. Sounds absolutely delicious.

In the days when we used to partake of turkey at Christmas, stuffing and gravy were my personal favourites.

My roast chicken and my original poached chicken recipes both came from Nigel Slater, (he recommends home made aioli with poached chicken and this can be brilliant, especially in summer).

These days, I also prepare my sister-in-law's classic eastern European poached chicken. This is a soothing, tasty soup, (both of her parents came from the part of the world that used to be known as East Germany - they came across to what was then West Germany in the late 50s, a few years before the Wall went up, while, earlier still, her mother had come from Danzig/Gdansk, now in Poland, but then, located in a place once referred to as "East Prussia", fleeing, as a very small child, with her family, from the advance of the Red Army in January 1945) - known in her family as "Jewish penicillin".

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Incidentally, while I have (fairly frequently) had (organic etc) chicken thighs poached (almost invariably delicious) has anyone ever tried to poach turkey thighs, and, if so, how did such a dish work out?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Incidentally, while I have (fairly frequently) had (organic etc) chicken thighs poached (almost invariably delicious) has anyone ever tried to poach turkey thighs, and, if so, how did such a dish work out?

Rub the turkey thigh down with some olive oil, salt, pepper and then put into a slow cooker (skin side up). It's spectacular, let it go for 2-3 hours and wow, it comes out moist, perfectly cooked through, slice it parallel to the bone, it's like duck. For folks who use a slow cooker, it probably seems a little weird, not having any extra fluid, but the ambient and direct heat works amazingly well.

And super cheap, we pick up a couple of turkey thighs for < $5.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
It could well be, that you are missing iron in your diet.

I'm not a vegetarian, still less am I a vegan (and nor will ever become one - I cannot conceive of a world where dairy - especially cheese - and eggs no longer play a role in my diet), actually, these days, I eat very little meat, and go for weeks (closer to months, at this stage) without meat.

Until I start craving, dreaming of, fantasising about, thinking of in idle moments - treats such as Iberico ham, or fillet steak, rare lamb cutlets, ham hock, poached chicken thighs, sausages, chorizo with my fish, or even - perish the thought - gourmet burgers; that is when I realise that something (possibly iron?) is missing on my diet, for such sustained and serious cravings usually feature when greed transforms into need.

It could be a lot of things, iron, complete proteins, B vitamins, etc. It's actually pretty difficult to get all that stuff, with the appropriate bio-matrix in place.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
santa was bad this year and no cookies and milk for him just some pork. my days of feasting and spurges are over I suffer too much. though we will get Chinese for lunch tomorrow just meat and veggies. no rice no fried anything.
66209313591__349908D0-56C2-4A5D-BCEA-5AE0BA15241B.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2