Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
And your watch apparently. You don't want to end up with dual problems there.
Reminds me of that other place, with all the talk about duel core. Why would I want my cores dueling each other? What does that even mean? Do they each produce a result, and then fight over the right to deliver that result? Sound inefficient and error-prone.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of that other place, with all the talk about duel core. Why would I want my cores dueling each other? What does that even mean? Do they each produce a result, and then fight over the right to deliver that result? Sound inefficient and error-prone.

Well you know up until a certain point, single core was the predominant model, so I guess some people clung to the idea that there could be only one, particularly if they share a bus.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Ah, thank you! That makes perfect sense. There can be only one -> The Quickening -> Faster.

There's always a risk, but if you make it to the end, you'll have a crockpot that can cook a roast in under 2 hours.

Now, that was a show that I loved.

If you've never watched the movies (which preceded the show) watch the first one and skip the rest.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I love oatmeal with walnuts, honey, and almond milk! 👨‍🍳

That sounds pretty good, even though I don't have much of a sweet tooth, especially in the morning.

What's for lunch is NOT leftover turkey for me today, although that hasn't stopped me hauling out a cartoon one of my brothers shipped my way a long time ago. Still cracks me up.

cartoon - appalled turkey.jpg

But I'm guilt-free on that score today, lunch is a fancy red cabbage soup I made yesterday (with 8 other veggies) and let refrigerate overnight to let the flavors marry up,

lizkat

Reaction score
Anyone have any recipes for ham hock that they might care to share?

When someone says ham hock I just automatically think of split pea soup (dried peas, sauteed diced onion, carrots, celery and garlic) simmered in chicken broth and a couple bay leaves w/ the smoked ham hocks for about three hours (brought briefly to a boil before the long simmer). Take the hocks out, cut up the meat and discard the fat, skin and bones, set meat aside while the soup cools enough to transfer to a processor or blender and puree a bit, then return to soup pot with the reserved pieces of ham and let simmer a little longer. Add a little black pepper to serve, and have some nice croutons to garnish with garlic bread on the side and a simple salad. Yummmm.... but I haven't had that soup for a long time. I'd like to know the butcher was local.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
When someone says ham hock I just automatically think of split pea soup (dried peas, sauteed diced onion, carrots, celery and garlic) simmered in chicken broth and a couple bay leaves w/ the smoked ham hocks for about three hours (brought briefly to a boil before the long simmer). Take the hocks out, cut up the meat and discard the fat, skin and bones, set meat aside while the soup cools enough to transfer to a processor or blender and puree a bit, then return to soup pot with the reserved pieces of ham and let simmer a little longer. Add a little black pepper to serve, and have some nice croutons to garnish with garlic bread on the side and a simple salad. Yummmm.... but I haven't had that soup for a long time. I'd like to know the butcher was local.

That was the sort of thing - recipe - I had in mind.

Actually, the butcher was not just local, but had reared, slaughtered and aged (according to environmental, ethical and organic standards) the creatures in question.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
That sounds pretty good, even though I don't have much of a sweet tooth, especially in the morning.

What's for lunch is NOT leftover turkey for me today, although that hasn't stopped me hauling out a cartoon one of my brothers shipped my way a long time ago. Still cracks me up.

But I'm guilt-free on that score today, lunch is a fancy red cabbage soup I made yesterday (with 8 other veggies) and let refrigerate overnight to let the flavors marry up,
Leave out the honey. :)

lizkat

Reaction score
I tried ham hock split pea soup once. It was too salty by far. Last night we tried split pea soup in the Foodi pressure cooker with a honey ham. Came out great in only an hour rather than all day.

I once made a split pea soup with seriously salty dry cure Virginia ham. Once and only once. I ended up having to round up another two pounds of split peas and additional ingredients, ending up with enough on hand to feed an army from the freezer for the rest of the year.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I tried ham hock split pea soup once. It was too salty by far. Last night we tried split pea soup in the Foodi pressure cooker with a honey ham. Came out great in only an hour rather than all day.

Most recipes suggest that you soak the ham first for that very reason.

However, I suspect that the (excessive) salt content may have to do with preservation.

Anyway, the ham hocks that I had bought - from the people who had reared, slaughtered and aged the meat themselves - in accordance with ethical and environmentally aware and organic principles of production - were not very salty, and required only to be rinsed.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I once made a split pea soup with seriously salty dry cure Virginia ham. Once and only once. I ended up having to round up another two pounds of split peas and additional ingredients, ending up with enough on hand to feed an army from the freezer for the rest of the year.
Yeah, I think we doubled everything else, along with adding extra potatoes, and then double it again to cut down the salt.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Fillet steak (rare) served with roasted tomatoes and gratin (or dauphinoise) sweet potatoes cooked slowly for a number of hours with organic double cream, and a minced head of garlic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2