California recall election now has 70 people on the ballot

D

Deleted member 215

Once again, Democratic/liberal apathy and complacency are going to reward a Trump-like figure. And everyone will hand-wring and say "What happened?! I just don't understand!" :rolleyes: At least in this case we won't be stuck with this jagaloon for four years.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Once again, Democratic/liberal apathy and complacency are going to reward a Trump-like figure. And everyone will hand-wring and say "What happened?! I just don't understand!" :rolleyes:
Exactly, and with all of the mail-in and voting options there will be no excuse for this. Democrats are going to be directly responsible.

At least in this case we won't be stuck with this jagaloon for four years.
But he will be in office long enough for him to reverse all of the COVID restrictions, it's a dangerous time and we could end up like Texas of Florida within a matter of weeks.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Once again, Democratic/liberal apathy and complacency are going to reward a Trump-like figure. And everyone will hand-wring and say "What happened?! I just don't understand!" :rolleyes: At least in this case we won't be stuck with this jagaloon for four years.

I don’t think a Trump-like governor will have an easy time in CA. There will be all kinds of localized rebellion.

And as the latest census just showed, Hispanics are the largest population group in CA. Good luck with that.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The CA recall system is stupid. With so many people on the ballot, Newsom could get 49.9% of the vote, and lose his seat to somebody with 10% of the vote. Democracy? I think not.

Maybe. But the Dems have pretty much controlled the state since 2011 after Arnold. Given how he became Governor, perhaps they should have changed it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Maybe. But the Dems have pretty much controlled the state since 2011 after Arnold. Given how he became Governor, perhaps they should have changed it.
And they should've put a Democrat on the ticket just to be safe but they put all their eggs in Newsom's basket. IMO it will be their own fault entirely if they lose this thing.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Arnold got more votes than Gray Davis. If Newsom loses this, it‘s a virtual guarantee the new governor will have gotten fewer votes than Newsom. I’m already on the record saying recall elections for a 4-year term make no sense… but making somebody the Governor with 10% of the vote? That’s plainly anti-Democratic.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

Whenever I have taken a look at a Republican candidate here by browsing their campaign site or past support, they have been really wacky. I don't even have to dig for it. I actually preferred it when our state paid less attention to the political affiliation of local and state level offices.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Whenever I have taken a look at a Republican candidate here by browsing their campaign site or past support, they have been really wacky. I don't even have to dig for it. I actually preferred it when our state paid less attention to the political affiliation of local and state level offices.
If the Newsom campaign were smart they would be plastering the airwaves with actual quotes from this Larry Elder guy asking "is this what you want?" because it would scare the shit out of those thinking about sitting it out.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
If the Newsom campaign were smart they would be plastering the airwaves with actual quotes from this Larry Elder guy asking "is this what you want?" because it would scare the shit out of those thinking about sitting it out.
Dems should have been doing that since the first day recall became viable. Nothing should be taken for granted after the Mango MFer. Nothing!

I don't even want to imagine what a Gov. Elder would do. Doesn't matter if the legislature is overwhelmingly Dem. He could veto, obstruct and impose so much in the 14/15 months he'd have.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

For Republican candidates that aren't complete jackasses, there are states with better political career prospects than California. We just end up providing a hot mic for the crazy.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
What good would campaigning against him do? If Newsom doesn’t get at least 50% +1 vote, he loses… and SOMEBODY on the huge list of crazies is your new Governor.

When CA gets an insane Governor that only got 10% of the vote, and turnout way below 50%, so really only 5% of the eligible voters picked the guy… maybe they will change their stupid recall election rule. It is a massive waste of time and money and only gets the governor’s term shortened by what…. a year? Then yet another ”regular” election soon thereafter.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Well there Governor, perhaps you could have taken it a bit more seriously in the beginning rather than blame a few extreme right-wingers. There aren't enough extreme RW's to get to 50%+1. Plenty of Dems want you gone as well.

Gov. Gavin Newsom, in his third year office, fears that might happen to him, unless he can persuade Democratic voters to believe the threat of a recall is real. “Democrats up and down the state haven’t taken this seriously, whereas Republicans have,” he said. “Republicans see this as a historic opportunity.”

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Well there Governor, perhaps you could have taken it a bit more seriously in the beginning rather than blame a few extreme right-wingers. There aren't enough extreme RW's to get to 50%+1. Plenty of Dems want you gone as well.

I don't think that Democrats want him gone as much as they aren't as energized to get out and vote, it's what does them in every time. Nice spin though.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I don't think that Democrats want him gone as much as they aren't as energized to get out and vote, it's what does them in every time. Nice spin though.

Not spin. There will have to be a significant number of Dems who vote Yes to recall him. No matter how motivated the GOP is, they can't do it alone.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Not spin. There will have to be a significant number of Dems who vote Yes to recall him. No matter how motivated the GOP is, they can't do it alone.
You sound certain, are you from CA? The news we're getting locally does not reflect this.

Also, some facts for you from the LA Times:
Even though Democratic voters far outnumber Republicans in California, the GOP’s enthusiasm over the recall promises to inflate the potency of the anti-Newsom vote in September, said Mark DiCamillo, director of the poll. Nearly 90% of Republicans expressed a high level of interest in the recall election while just 58% of Democrats and 53% of independent voters were as interested, the poll found.

“Democrats, at least in the middle of July, almost unanimously believed that Newsom will defeat the recall. I think that may be contributing to some complacency among those voters. Republicans, on the other hand, are confident that they can turn out the governor,” DiCamillo said. “I think the Newsom campaign really has to light a fire among the Democrats and say, ‘Look, the outcome is in jeopardy unless you get out there and vote.’”

Seriously man, you'll only ever get one side from Fox News.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Seriously man, you'll only ever get one side from Fox News.

I have been trying NOT to use Fox as a source on this board for anything important. Not that I think they are bad, but when you use Fox, it becomes the focus. (NewsMax and OAN are bad and you will never see me use them).

But I'm not sure I understand this part of his strategy:

Forty-six candidates’ names appear on the ballot as potential replacements for Newsom. The recall asks voters to answer two separate questions: Should Newsom be removed from office, and if he is, who should serve the final year of his current term. Voters who choose to keep Newsom as governor by voting “no” on the first question can still select a replacement candidate on the second question if the recall prevails. Even so, the governor has urged Democrats to skip the replacement contest — and did so again Saturday.

“One question. One answer. No on the recall. Move on. Send in the ballot,” Newsom said during the event in El Sereno. “We’ve got to turn out the vote and remind people of the consequences.”

Note: This article is from the LA Times.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have been trying NOT to use Fox as a source on this board for anything important. Not that I think they are bad, but when you use Fox, it becomes the focus. (NewsMax and OAN are bad and you will never see me use them).

But I'm not sure I understand this part of his strategy:

Note: This article is from the LA Times.
It still speaks to the fact that there is low energy for the Democratic turnout, which does not have an appetite to recall as you are claiming, they just aren't motivated. You are referring to mostly Republicans here whether you care to admit it or not.

I take it you are not from the state? Just want to get an idea of whether or not you're getting local mainstream evening news, it makes a difference because we hear it every day now.

Also, just another article bolstering the point. From here on out we're going to see the drive to get the vote out for existing Democrats more than anything.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It still speaks to the fact that there is low energy for the Democratic turnout, which does not have an appetite to recall as you are claiming, they just aren't motivated. You are referring to mostly Republicans here whether you care to admit it or not.

I take it you are not from the state? Just want to get an idea of whether or not you're getting local mainstream evening news, it makes a difference because we hear it every day now.

Also, just another article bolstering the point. From here on our we're going to see the drive to get the vote out for existing Democrats more than anything.

No, not from CA. Only been there once and that was to ride motorcycles back with my B-I-L when he moved to Nashville, TN. But that was literally fly in at 10PM and we headed out the next morning. Was probably in the state less than 16 hours.

I guess my point is yes the Dems seem unmotivated. But is it because Newsom sought to frame this as an extreme right-wing thing that wasn't going anywhere? If so, then what happens is on him. If he didn't take it seriously, then why should the voters?

But I still don't understand the strategy of having Dems not vote on the second question. You questioned the strategy of not having a legit option for people to vote for but he is not wanting Dems to vote for anyone. Doesn't that pretty much assure a Republican gets in if he is recalled?

For this, I use a lot of DuckDuckGo and read articles from the LA Times, SF Gate and other local papers.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
No, not from CA. Only been there once and that was to ride motorcycles back with my B-I-L when he moved to Nashville, TN. But that was literally fly in at 10PM and we headed out the next morning. Was probably in the state less than 16 hours.

I guess my point is yes the Dems seem unmotivated. But is it because Newsom sought to frame this as an extreme right-wing thing that wasn't going anywhere? If so, then what happens is on him. If he didn't take it seriously, then why should the voters?

But I still don't understand the strategy of having Dems not vote on the second question. You questioned the strategy of not having a legit option for people to vote for but he is not wanting Dems to vote for anyone. Doesn't that pretty much assure a Republican gets in if he is recalled?

For this, I use a lot of DuckDuckGo and read articles from the LA Times, SF Gate and other local papers.
I think pretty much any incumbent in a recall election will have less enthusiastic support. People that WANT the recall are most likely to show up and vote. People who don’t want it might just assume it will never work, so they stay home. Similar to primaries, it’s generally only those with a strong interest in politics who show up.

I’ve said it before: the recall election process is terrible in CA. With 46 names on the ballot, somebody could be the next Governor with less than 2% of the vote. What a moronic system.

Top Bottom
1 2