California recall election now has 70 people on the ballot

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I think pretty much any incumbent in a recall election will have less enthusiastic support. People that WANT the recall are most likely to show up and vote. People who don’t want it might just assume it will never work, so they stay home. Similar to primaries, it’s generally only those with a strong interest in politics who show up.

I’ve said it before: the recall election process is terrible in CA. With 46 names on the ballot, somebody could be the next Governor with less than 2% of the vote. What a moronic system.
And that's exactly why you get every whackjob and their mother on the ballot. It's also why those who sit out the vote will say "wait, how did we get a crazy Republican? All I wanted is to see Newsom removed" because so many are clueless about the actual process. It is totally moronic, couldn't agree more. @Herdfan is also right that Democrats control the state and can also change it if they wanted, they just need to grow a spine.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
And that's exactly why you get every whackjob and their mother on the ballot. It's also why those who sit out the vote will say "wait, how did we get a crazy Republican? All I wanted is to see Newsom removed" because so many are clueless about the actual process. It is totally moronic, couldn't agree more. @Herdfan is also right that Democrats control the state and can also change it if they wanted, they just need to grow a spine.
This could be the new Governor of California… Angelyne. I kind of hope it happens so they can finally stop the stupidity.

1629077075537.png

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I’ve said it before: the recall election process is terrible in CA. With 46 names on the ballot, somebody could be the next Governor with less than 2% of the vote. What a moronic system.

A simple fix would be if he is removed, then the LT Governor becomes Governor. Just like if the President is removed/resigns. Will usually keep it in the same party, but if not, then that just gives voters something else to think about.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Got an email today informing me my ballot is in the mail.

As far as Democrat voter motivation, I hope they at least look at our fellow big brother states Texas and Florida to see what the probable alternative looks like.
We're primarily a vote by mail state so all they really have to do is check the box and send it in, if you're not motivated to do just that then you deserve whatever Republican nutbag you get.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Word's getting out. We're also now seeing ads hitting Republicans on ending all the mandates, which are highly popular in CA.

Latest poll shows Newsom up but it's still within the margin of error

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Our Republican frontrunner... bad timing as the ballots are just now getting out to everyone.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Wife told me about an interesting article she read, but couldn't remember where. She is still looking.

But the premise was Californians might be willing to take a chance on a Republican in order to bring some law and order back. And if he really screws it up, he is only there for a year. Kind of makes sense.

Edit: I think I found it on the NYT, but it is behind a paywall. Not sure how she read it or she may have read an article that referenced it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wife told me about an interesting article she read, but couldn't remember where. She is still looking.

But the premise was Californians might be willing to take a chance on a Republican in order to bring some law and order back. And if he really screws it up, he is only there for a year. Kind of makes sense.

Edit: I think I found it on the NYT, but it is behind a paywall. Not sure how she read it or she may have read an article that referenced it.
We'll find out in a couple of weeks but they're not all squeaky clean and Elder's about to learn the reality of the ugly side of politics. He's already scrambling to explain it.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I’d like to hear some long term solutions from either side. Doing some kind of statewide crime sweep isn’t going to change the overall problem and conditions that is defined by the super rich and super poor living in the state.

Generally speaking across the country I feel there’s a little too much reflexive whacking it over to the other side thinking it’s going to solve problems when the other side isn’t offering any solutions, just a switch between R and D, and what’s worse is people are probably basing there assumptions on decades old perceptions. It’s like preceding everything with a silent “back in the 90’s…” as if there isn’t more current examples to draw from, which sadly, there might not be.

Same thing can be said about the southern border both in the country and south of the border. Everybody just assumes under a Republican the border is instantly militarized and under a Democrat the border is going to be erased.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I’d like to hear some long term solutions from either side. Doing some kind of statewide crime sweep isn’t going to change the overall problem and conditions that is defined by the super rich and super poor living in the state.

Generally speaking across the country I feel there’s a little too much reflexive whacking it over to the other side thinking it’s going to solve problems when the other side isn’t offering any solutions, just a switch between R and D, and what’s worse is people are probably basing there assumptions on decades old perceptions. It’s like preceding everything with a silent “back in the 90’s…” as if there isn’t more current examples to draw from, which sadly, there might not be.

Same thing can be said about the southern border both in the country and south of the border. Everybody just assumes under a Republican the border is instantly militarized and under a Democrat the border is going to be erased.
Trump was supposedly a “law and order” President. 2020 crime rates were the highest in many years. From that perspective, I am not sure why people would associate the GOP with lower crime rates.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

This is a huge problem in our state, it's just not financially feasible for people to own a home when the median income needed just for a starter is $350K a year and there is so little inventory because they have no room to build out.

In my last neighborhood (in Daly City) you could tell there were at least 6 people per household (often more), most owners convert their garages into living spaces, split the levels and make two rentals out of it so then you have all the cars that come with it leaving no parking.

It's very much a case of the haves and have nots and does explain some of the homelessness but not all. Any of us who have worked in the city knows most of these people are drug/alcohol users and addicts, many which are violent as well and law enforcement has had their hands tied with them for a long time. It's going to take someone willing to address this for it to change things and I think the people are ready for that. IMO Newsom is not going to be that guy, if he survives the recall I think he faces an uphill challenge next year.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a huge problem in our state, it's just not financially feasible for people to own a home when the median income needed just for a starter is $350K a year and there is so little inventory because they have no room to build out.

In my last neighborhood (in Daly City) you could tell there were at least 6 people per household (often more), most owners convert their garages into living spaces, split the levels and make two rentals out of it so then you have all the cars that come with it leaving no parking.

It's very much a case of the haves and have nots and does explain some of the homelessness but not all. Any of us who have worked in the city knows most of these people are drug/alcohol users and addicts, many which are violent as well and law enforcement has had their hands tied with them for a long time. It's going to take someone willing to address this for it to change things and I think the people are ready for that. IMO Newsom is not going to be that guy, if he survives the recall I think he faces an uphill challenge next year.

Aside from the state currently burning down, I think the general weather climate plays a big roll in homelessness. This may come as a shock to some but the Democrats didn’t create the weather climate in the state. If you’re homeless you’re not going to wheel your cart to Arizona or Montana.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Won't fix it. They will simply be moved to another location and the people who live in the area will be happy.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Aside from the state currently burning down, I think the general weather climate plays a big roll in homelessness. This may come as a shock to some but the Democrats didn’t create the weather climate in the state. If you’re homeless you’re not going to wheel your cart to Arizona or Montana.
The climate shift has been crazy, back in the 70s we would see droughts every now and then but nothing like this and smoke was literally never a problem because fires were far more rare. Now everyone needs air conditioners in the coastal cities because of summer heatwaves that never existed before either.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The climate shift has been crazy, back in the 70s we would see droughts every now and then but nothing like this and smoke was literally never a problem because fires were far more rare. Now everyone needs air conditioners in the coastal cities because of summer heatwaves that never existed before either.

Do you think forest management has any impact on this?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I think it will help but not enough to shift what the climate is doing, However, even locally they mentioned where some of the clearing of brush helped in some areas. I know there's a political football about clearing the forest floors as well, and nevermind that much of it is actually federal land, the reality is climate change is driving this.

When you watch footage of these fires it's like nothing you've ever seen, like a literal blow torch moving through the forests, taking out 50 foot trees literally by the second. All firefighters (many of which are Republicans) will tell you that over the last decade they've become exponentially harder to deal with.

I think inserting politics here is just stupid, the planet is clearly getting hotter and while it's probably a natural shift, all evidence shows that humans have played a large role in speeding it up over the last 200 hundred years. Common sense tells us we need to do our part to prevent it. Sure, raking the forest floors. Also, preventing 43 billion tons of pollution that goes into our atmosphere every year might help a bit too.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I think it has a small impact. But climate change is the real reason.

Blaming “forest management” for this is like if you’re driving your car at 150MPH and then you sneeze and crash, you blame your allergies for the crash.

I liked this article from Popular Mechanics:

Top Bottom
1 2