California Streamin’

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Almost placed an order for the iPad Mini but I’m not sure if I could go back to the smaller screen size even if it is slightly bigger than the Mini 5’s screen. I feel like I need to see it in person.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Me and my wife definitely have interest in the watches, we're currently on the series 4 but I can wait, we'll upgrade hers if she wants though.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I went back and forth on cellular when I bought my iPad Air. I never needed the cellular so returned it. I mostly use my iPad at home and when hot spotting, I've never had a problem with my Verizon. That's not saying it won't ever be, I just prefer the savings. My phone is cellular & that works for me.

I got the cellular versions on my first 3 or 4 iPads, found I rarely used it. Nowadays if I did ever need it due to lack of WiFi availability, a cellular connection also isn't available in that location. Ironic.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Almost placed an order for the iPad Mini but I’m not sure if I could go back to the smaller screen size even if it is slightly bigger than the Mini 5’s screen. I feel like I need to see it in person.

Interestingly, the Mini went to an even higher aspect ratio than the 11" Pro, i.e., 1.5:1 (vs. the 11" 1.4:1) where the previous model was 1.3:1 like the 12.9" pro model.

(In other words, it's has more height (in portrait) to width than the 11 or 12.9 pro)

And this new Mini is really spec'ed like a Pro series iPad, from the physical design, support for Pencil 2, A15, etc.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Sigh. I'm getting good at being patient while stirring the beans I have to settle for after busting a gear budget...

Thanks god i love my XR. The iPad mini might be the pick of this event's litter for me...
The iPad mini is extremely tempting but not sure if I could handle the smaller screen real estate after being used to an iPad Air (ancient as it is). I don't have a TV in my bedroom so often watch shows on my iPad Air when in bed. But I should be weaning myself off bedtime screen usage so I sleep better. :unsure:

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Great. Now I have to figure out how much storage the different video options will require and see if I can get the 512 without regretting it every other day…

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
From what I read the new iPhone is a big snooze-fest. I'm always up for an improved camera but considering they were already releasing movies in theaters 3 or 4 years ago filmed entirely on an iPhone, I'm not exactly in bad need of a better camera now. I've been using Final Cut Pro for years which can easily compensate for an older iPhone camera (I have an 11 Pro) and I'm not filming tentpole blockbusters anyway.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I have an iPad Mini 4 which has almost exclusively been used as my drone controller and that's it. :ROFLMAO:

I've had all 3 sizes and including the iPhones the only thing I found the Mini is perfect for is driving games, but I also haven't played those in years.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
From what I read the new iPhone is a big snooze-fest. I'm always up for an improved camera but considering they were already releasing movies in theaters 3 or 4 years ago filmed entirely on an iPhone, I'm not exactly in bad need of a better camera now. I've been using Final Cut Pro for years which can easily compensate for an older iPhone camera (I have an 11 Pro) and I'm not filming tentpole blockbusters anyway.
Agreed. The iPhone will always be a great point and shoot camera but if you're serious about photography, you'll get real photography gear. I don't care how many bells and whistles they put on it (granted some of the software changes are pretty cool) you'll only ever get so good of a picture with a pea sized lens and a non-DSLR sensor.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Agreed. The iPhone will always be a great point and shoot camera but if you're serious about photography, you'll get real photography gear. I don't care how many bells and whistles they put on it (granted some of the software changes are pretty cool) you'll only ever get so good of a picture with a pea sized lens and a non-DSLR sensor.

I always thought that was the selling point of iPhones were for many. The fact that you actively didn't need to tote around expensive camera gear, you are just always ready for the moment when you need to take a shot. For that crowd that envisions themselves always needing the best, the iPhone is really convenient for when they see a shot looking up a stairwell and think it's "artsy" & discovered great photography.

The iPhone as a vlogging camera though has really been impressive.

I'm considering the iPad Pro with the pencil (and procreate) for artwork, landscapes, trees and stuff. I'm still a beginner but really dig it with charcoal, it's just messy and I've seen a lot of great tutorials that have sold me on it.

Was always torn on charcoal. It is way to messy, but I love the things you can do with smudging ( paper cigars ) tools. Graphite was a little better as it's basically charcoal with a point & a handle. Fortunately Procreate is such a great program with plenty of choices for additional brushes ( if you don't find your charcoal fix ) that the app runs on pretty much any iPad. You could do some nice portable studies on the new iPad mini and new pencil. Or just go with the new iPad.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
True. But having a great point-and-shoot camera for all those everyday shots and videos is a perfect complement to the more cumbersome DSLR gear with fancy lenses (most costing at least as much as an iPhone). Since my 8 Plus I don’t bother bringing a dedicated point-and-shoot camera with me anymore, it’s either just the iPhone or iPhone plus DSLR.

The 13 Pro Max should be a worthwhile point-and-shoot upgrade from the 8 Plus for me.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I always thought that was the selling point of iPhones were for many. The fact that you actively didn't need to tote around expensive camera gear, you are just always ready for the moment when you need to take a shot. For that crowd that envisions themselves always needing the best, the iPhone is really convenient for when they see a shot looking up a stairwell and think it's "artsy" & discovered great photography.

The iPhone as a vlogging camera though has really been impressive.

Was always torn on charcoal. It is way to messy, but I love the things you can do with smudging ( paper cigars ) tools. Graphite was a little better as it's basically charcoal with a point & a handle. Fortunately Procreate is such a great program with plenty of choices for additional brushes ( if you don't find your charcoal fix ) that the app runs on pretty much any iPad. You could do some nice portable studies on the new iPad mini and new pencil. Or just go with the new iPad.
I don't think the pencil works with my first gen iPad Air or I would just use that, I'm actually really psyched about trying this software out. You sound like you know what you're doing with this way more than I do so maybe I'll pick your brain. Do you have any of your artwork online? I love checking out other people's work!

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Having spent rather a bunch of money already this year on photo gear -- new camera body, a couple of new lenses -- I watched the presentation with much less enthuasiasm and excitement than I have in past years. The new iPhone 13 and its camera upgrades sounds nifty, but it sure as heck wouldn't ever replace my lovely Sony mirrorless gear! The macro function is interesting -- I've shot macro or closeups with my iPhones before and they already do a pretty good job with that. My iPhones are usually an adjunct to my "real" cameras, not a replacement for them. The new iPad Mini sounds rather appealing, a nice upgrade from my current one, but definitely it is not something I absolutely need, as I tend to use the Mini more for travel than for around home, and I haven't done much traveling lately, that is for sure! No trips planned for the immediate future, either.

Since my Apple Watch Series 3 is showing her age, that is the Apple device that I am most likely to update and even that I am not in a hurry to do..... I am waiting to see just what will be offered with the new M-whatever MBPs, as a 14" or 16" one of those is something in which I would really be interested.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
From what I read the new iPhone is a big snooze-fest.

There's rarely any brand new features on any phones. There's just not any unique new use cases that can be done on a phone - they already had (going into this event) tons of instrumentation, loads of performance, high quality camera systems, depth cameras for 3D/AR, voice recognition systems, payment system integration, NFC/BT/WiFi/5G ...

I mean, there's only so many different hardware / interaction models, as the few years before this - and my expectation going into this event - it's all about incremental improvements on existing subsystems (camera, display, CPU/GPU, etc.)

Look at computers for the last several years, what has really changed? They've gotten faster, with more storage/capacity, a few new port specs here and there (that also, really come down to just more speed). It's the same for most industries, look at cars, they've gotten faster, with efficiency improvements, then there was a big change with EVs, but major paradigm shifts in any industry is super rare.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I don't think the pencil works with my first gen iPad Air or I would just use that, I'm actually really psyched about trying this software out. You sound like you know what you're doing with this way more than I do so maybe I'll pick your brain. Do you have any of your artwork online? I love checking out other people's work!
I had one those "issues" where I kind of "nuked" all my old work.

I do have books that are online somewhere that featured my earliest work, but nothing recent as my seeming ADHD makes it so nothing is ever good.

I have to do some character sketches tonight, I'll post something from that I guess.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
There's rarely any brand new features on any phones. There's just not any unique new use cases that can be done on a phone - they already had (going into this event) tons of instrumentation, loads of performance, high quality camera systems, depth cameras for 3D/AR, voice recognition systems, payment system integration, NFC/BT/WiFi/5G ...

I mean, there's only so many different hardware / interaction models, as the few years before this - and my expectation going into this event - it's all about incremental improvements on existing subsystems (camera, display, CPU/GPU, etc.)

Look at computers for the last several years, what has really changed? They've gotten faster, with more storage/capacity, a few new port specs here and there (that also, really come down to just more speed). It's the same for most industries, look at cars, they've gotten faster, with efficiency improvements, then there was a big change with EVs, but major paradigm shifts in any industry is super rare.

That's why I think these events have become silly, or at least attempting to give them the same amount of excitement buildup as the Jobs years, and shortly after. I don't really blame Apple though for that perception, and really, we cut our teeth on an Apple forum before we got here. So maybe the excitement has died down and it's just our bubble that makes it appear otherwise.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
iPad mini looked cool. I’d get that if I didn’t buy an iPad Pro 11” last year. I plan to keep this thing until the wheels fall off

The watches were a let down. I think we all expected flat edges. I’ll keep my Series 4 that’s still going strong.

I have an iPhone 12 Pro so I’m good. I Think lol Sometimes I wish I’d gotten the Pro Max but I don’t think it’s worth spending the extra money if my 12 Pro gets the job done. Who knows. I may change my mind when I see them next week. But for now I’m good.

Top Bottom
1 2