California Streamin’

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Well, Apple still continues to troll the trolls. Granted Apple helps inspire the trolls because they keep stuff so close to the vest, but it is their business... literally. Unlike the MR some of you seem to go to, the one I see most often is people screaming that Apple screwed up again because they did or did not do something on a day that ended in 'y'. One of the more tired screeds was the endless badgering about why some of "suckers" got an iPad Pro, since apps weren't allowed to use all that RAM we paid for.

Now we can move on to bitching about something else...

...and we will.

While those who brought the product they wanted will go on using the product that they wanted.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I can't believe we're at Series 7 and they still can't get the battery to last longer than a day or so.

I'm keeping my Series 4 until it dies.
Same here, quite happy with my series 4 for now, it lasts all day and I just put it on the charger at bed time. I was pretty excited about the new oxygen sensor but after seeing how it worked it's pretty underwhelming, a 10 year old fingertip sensor is still far superior, so I'll let them work on that for a while.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
6CD3205A-BB1E-4446-9B59-F9D2B71F157A.jpeg
First there was this. On both the app and the website. Note the time. When I first tried right at 7 (central time) I got the “you’re early!” Message. Bleh.

Fortunately with the new pre-order system I only had to check out so there were no other buttons to press and nothing else to do. Took all of 3 seconds. I ordered a 512 silver pro plus.

And I’ve pretty much decided that unless the new watch will have a working oximeter, I’ll hold off another year.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
View attachment 8713
First there was this. On both the app and the website. Note the time. When I first tried right at 7 (central time) I got the “you’re early!” Message. Bleh.

Fortunately with the new pre-order system I only had to check out so there were no other buttons to press and nothing else to do. Took all of 3 seconds. I ordered a 512 silver pro plus.

And I’ve pretty much decided that unless the new watch will have a working oximeter, I’ll hold off another year.
I have wanted to try since the iPad Pro debacle ordering, how the whole walk up situation will work out. I remember when the system basically kept people from ordering, it made some orders slip to a month behind release date. On the day of release though, people were able to order the one they wanted on that day for pickup with little difficulty. So I was wondering if I have a last minute change of heart, giving that a try. Besides, the in store activation is so comically easy compared to the old luddite days of switching cards, it's fascinating to see them do it for you and take your current phone in trade.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh snap. Just found out macro photography is a selling point for the new iPhone. That's probably the one area of photography I have the most interest in and the least capabilities currently.

Still probably won't pull the trigger on getting the new iPhone unless my current iPhone starts crapping out, but it's good to know that is a feature they are focusing on and spending a new iPhone's worth of money on lenses isn't my only option for quality macro photography.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Oh snap. Just found out macro photography is a selling point for the new iPhone. That's probably the one area of photography I have the most interest in and the least capabilities currently.

Still probably won't pull the trigger on getting the new iPhone unless my current iPhone starts crapping out, but it's good to know that is a feature they are focusing on and spending a new iPhone's worth of money on lenses isn't my only option for quality macro photography.
I'll say the iPhone is the perfect medium for macro photography, the lenses are appropriately sized for this.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have wanted to try since the iPad Pro debacle ordering, how the whole walk up situation will work out. I remember when the system basically kept people from ordering, it made some orders slip to a month behind release date. On the day of release though, people were able to order the one they wanted on that day for pickup with little difficulty. So I was wondering if I have a last minute change of heart, giving that a try. Besides, the in store activation is so comically easy compared to the old luddite days of switching cards, it's fascinating to see them do it for you and take your current phone in trade.
If there were an Apple store anywhere close, I’d have gone for in-store pickup. But a 2 hour drive to New Orleans just to go to the Apple store is no longer fun.

I'll say the iPhone is the perfect medium for macro photography, the lenses are appropriately sized for this.
Macro photography was what got me. I take a lot of pics of the flowers in my garden, especially the cacti. Can’t wait!

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
View attachment 8713

Congratulations!

Didn’t go as smoothly here. Just couldn’t pay. Desperately tried Apple Pay again after a while and got an error message that the payment didn’t go through before being forwarded to a page stating that everything’s done and here’s the order number. Even got an email confirmation with 24th as the delivery date.

Not gonna happen. Same turd as last time I tried Apple Pay there. Failure, success, email, order not existing in my account, no nothing.

Managed to order later using the credit card I always use with Apple (the same that failed for the first hour). Delivery date had slipped from “24 Sep.” to “29 Sep. - 4 Oct.” by then. Annoying but not the end of the world.

From a technical point of view I’m certain it was the link between Apple and the credit card issuer that got overwhelmed. An interactive confirmation step (2FA) was required but failed to load properly before timing out. Incompetent morons.

Apple Pay is with another bank, never gotten it to work properly. Maybe should look into that some time.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Macro photography was what got me. I take a lot of pics of the flowers in my garden, especially the cacti. Can’t wait!

My macro photos would mostly be of the insect variety and my current iPhone (11 Pro) has problems focusing, I assume because of all the small body parts at different depths.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Decided it was time, another year with the current phone was giving me a rash so I ordered a 13 Pro Max, Silver, 128GB :)

I opted to pick it up in store on Sept 24th vs. it shipping on Oct 6th-11th, plus I'm doing a trade of my X, so I selected to bring the device in to simplify everything (got the trade in credit right up front, used the Apple Card, 24 month, 0%, 3% cashback ... and we'll just play it off immediately :D)

The extra delivery time wasn't a huge deal, just thought that might be kind of fun, they schedule you a specific day and time (a 15 minute window). The Apple Store is about 30 miles away, nice drive up A1A, my appointment is early-ish in the afternoon, thinking that's good window.

Woot.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Arrows illustrate my last two camera migrations :D

1631893826867.png

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My macro photos would mostly be of the insect variety and my current iPhone (11 Pro) has problems focusing, I assume because of all the small body parts at different depths.
I do a lot of bugs too. Especially that crazy wasp that decided he liked collecting the wood from my deck.
The Apple Store is about 30 miles away
I really envy you people with Apple stores so close. My husband and Tim Cook graduated from the same high school - you’d think there’d be an Apple store closer.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I do a lot of bugs too. Especially that crazy wasp that decided he liked collecting the wood from my deck.

I really envy you people with Apple stores so close. My husband and Tim Cook graduated from the same high school - you’d think there’d be an Apple store closer.
I actually live between two.

The first store is in a high end mall, where the traffic was stupidly ridiculous. It got to the point that employees could pick who they waited on, and the rest of the masses got to endlessly window shop.

I myself learned after not getting waited on for quite awhile, to bring my other. She gets waited on very quickly all the time, and just says "Oh he needs the help." After enough complaints like that supposedly ( I still have my apology email from Apple about my experience ), they opened a second store in the diametrically opposite direction in the second high end mall that was built. Very convenient.

Now the traffic in both stores is just ridiculous.

Note: I did NOT know Apple stores had shopping carts until I went to the first Apple store and you see the amount of stuff people buy in that store like it's a grocer.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
As a developer and scientist, I have done my fair share of bugs too. More into finding and squashing them, though. Sometimes using macros. 😜

Even I got one close! Envy me! About 23km/14miles driving, or 16km/10miles walking, or about one hour using public transport.

Didn‘t get the option to pick up my phone there, unfortunately. Must be because I don’t have any personal connection to Tim Cook?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

My main annoyance is attempting to take slomo videos of seemingly slow-moving docile bees. Looks totally doable until I get the phone camera on them and then they are always moving just out of frame to the next flower while the lens fails on making them the focus.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like everyone is having problems with the iPhone Upgrade Program and the Apple Card. It wouldn’t take my Apple Card so after multiple attempts I used a different card and it went through. However that ended up causing my ship date to slip into October. If it would have went through the first time I would have had it on launch day. 😡

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Looks like everyone is having problems with the iPhone Upgrade Program and the Apple Card. It wouldn’t take my Apple Card so after multiple attempts I used a different card and it went through. However that ended up causing my ship date to slip into October. If it would have went through the first time I would have had it on launch day. 😡

Yeah, it appears it was only people on the upgrade using Apple Card...talk about FAIL

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony

I keep reminding myself that I've got "real" cameras and "real" macro lenses plus various accessories to make even a regular prime lens a "macro" or at least able to get up closer and so I don't need the new iPhone 13 Pro..... But, yeah, I've had pretty good luck over the years with my various iPhones shooting closeups and abstracts -- an iPhone is small and maneuverable in ways that sometimes a regular camera and lens just are not.

While obviously a macro lens is an ideal situation for someone who wants to do a lot of macro photography, also there are other ways, including using close-up filters in varying sizes and extension tubes in various sizes that can be used with prime lenses. One can get pretty good results with either of these methods if striving for that shallow DOF and getting up-close and personal with one's subject(s).

Top Bottom
1 2