COVID Stupid

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Well, BlackBerry's were a lot more popular due to the guaranteed delivery as well as two-way communication....but we all know what happened to BlackBerry. :(

SMS (texting) is a "fire it and forget it" protocol - no guaranteed delivery - though it's more reliable these days due to the nature of the carrier networks.
Neither pagers nor texting are suitable for transmitting patient information because they're not secure and for related reasons, though both are used widely.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
U

User.45

Neither pagers nor texting are suitable for transmitting patient information because they're not secure and for related reasons, though both are used widely.
The issue with pagers were the need for an intermediary messaging interface to send and a phone call to respond. I hated it so much I paid for getting pages sent as SMS. That said with a pager i could immediately tell it’s work and i could read it immediately.

Now having a sandboxed secure messaging app that takes 3 steps (unlock phone, unlock app, open message), it’s the constant anxiety if my cell battery is dead, that I’ll miss something hyper urgent. I hate it.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand what it hurts to give it ( the real one for humans, not the horse dewormer paste) to them. They are most likely going to die anyway, so why not. The side effects are mild so if they recover, there likely won't be any long-term issues from having taken it.

Hippocratic oath. It can’t help them, and it can only hurt them. So you are asking doctors, who swear to do no harm, to prescribe medicines in contradiction to FDA-authorized use, where the use can, at best, do no good, and at worst can make the patient sick.

All so that a bunch of politicians who have invested in the stock of the companies who make this garbage can make more money.

I would say the reason is #1 there is no substantial evidence that is effective after looking over numerous studies and taking into consideration the qualities of such studies. Given the lack of evidence, you’re giving people a false sense of hope or protection that does not exist, which is unethical. It’s true ivermectin is generally safe, but that brings me to point #2, every medication has risks no matter how “safe” it is perceived to be. Aspirin can easily kill people. To unnecessarily give medication that you know doesn’t work is not in their best interest. #3 Giving useless meds is a waste of money and healthcare resources.

For the record, it’s actually not illegal and usually not unethical to prescribe medications that are not indicated for certain conditions. It’s called off label prescribing and it’s pretty routine.

For example prazosin is a beta-blocker, heart rate/blood pressure med and it’s one of the first line treatments for PTSD nightmares. It’s technically not FDA approved for this but there are plenty of clinical trials to support its use. This tends to happen especially with generic drugs later found to have a new purpose, no one is going to pay for the FDA approval process.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I sorta miss pagers, because you always knew if it beeps, it's work. But then you look at it and see stuff like this:
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1479141084345290757/

I still have a Motorola pager from my hospital. It was made in 2001, making it older than many patients I see. There are newer pager systems with color screens and such and paging apps, but we’re still using old school pagers.

The biggest benefit is that it has much better reception than cell phones. Many parts of our campus are underground or in old stone buildings where cell signals get shut put (esp ATT users) and we have tons of Wi-Fi dead zones. They also use a different network than cell phones (UHF I believe) so if cell towers go down in a crisis the pagers will still work. For example, during the Boston Marathon bombings cell service went out (either from being overloaded or from the govt shutting it off to prevent more detonations). You also can’t beat 30+ day battery life on a single AA battery.

U

User.45

We need an hazmat suit emoji here.

For example prazosin is a beta-blocker, heart rate/blood pressure med and it’s one of the first line treatments for PTSD nightmares.
It's an alpha-blocker, but you're right. Old repurposed drugs rarely get through prospective phase 3 testing. You could probably get the trials funded by NIH tho.

I still have a Motorola pager from my hospital. It was made in 2001, making it older than many patients I see. There are newer pager systems with color screens and such and paging apps, but we’re still using old school pagers.

The biggest benefit is that it has much better reception than cell phones. Many parts of our campus are underground or in old stone buildings where cell signals get shut put (esp ATT users) and we have tons of Wi-Fi dead zones. They also use a different network than cell phones (UHF I believe) so if cell towers go down in a crisis the pagers will still work. For example, during the Boston Marathon bombings cell service went out (either from being overloaded or from the govt shutting it off to prevent more detonations). You also can’t beat 30+ day battery life on a single AA battery.
people working underground get their pagers. after spending 3 years in the hospital basement as a postdoc, I'm proud to have an office with a view..:)

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
We need an hazmat suit emoji here.

It's an alpha-blocker, but you're right. Old repurposed drugs rarely get through prospective phase 3 testing. You could probably get the trials funded by NIH tho.

people working underground get their pagers. after spending 3 years in the hospital basement as a postdoc, I'm proud to have an office with a view..:)

You’re right. It’s an A-1 antagonist. That’s what I get for working a 12hr day 5 days straight and posting online haha. My brain is cooked. I was originally going to go with propranolol and panic attacks originally which is probably how that mistake happened. Prazosin and nightmares seemed more obscure.

To have get an FDA approval some company would have to spend the money to go through the process. If the patent is up on the drug, there’s no incentive unless they can make a combo product or reformulate to get a new patent. NIH will pay for all sorts of research, but paying the $250,000 (or whatever it is these days) to the FDA to review the application, I doubt it.

Seroquel for example got in trouble years ago for pushing the antipsychotic as a sleep aid for insomnia. The difference here was their reps were essentially marketing it to prescribers as also being a sleep aid. Obviously most antipsychotics will knock most non-psychotic people out like a light, but marketing without the data becomes a problem for the FDA.

Years ago I had an internship at a rehab… it was a very bizarre, culty place. Their go to anti-insomnia drug was Seroquel (brand name at the time, $700-800/month). For 90% of people the same effect could have been done with trazadone for $5. Makes me think something sketchy was going on there. The CEO was actually let go years later for basically embezzlement.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
A local restaurant owner just died and when the family was asked about vaccine status they said "we prefer not to talk about it". In other words, NO, she was not vaccinated. At this point nobody has to die with few exceptions, instead of these nutbags offering thoughts and prayers they should be taking them to get the shot.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
A local restaurant owner just died and when the family was asked about vaccine status they said "we prefer not to talk about it". In other words, NO, she was not vaccinated. At this point nobody has to die with few exceptions, instead of these nutbags offering thoughts and prayers they should be taking them to get the shot.
The reality is you don’t die from COVID if you have been vaccinated. It is mind boggling that we are having to reinvent the wheel on this matter. And I’ll acknowledge this is a world wide issue, but what hurts the most is when you watch STUPID flailing for their right to be imbeciles and perpetuate the continuation of this disturbance.

More sinister, in the USA because the Head Shit (you know who) saw an angle to manipulate, it became part of his multi-pronged plan to dismantle our democracy which relies on manipulation hand in hand with Hard Core, Anti-Vax STUPID, riling them up over their imagined lost libertay at the hands of liberals. 😔

Have we really dumbed down to the lowest common denominator?
Is STUPID going to burn down the house?

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
The reality is you don’t die from COVID if you have been vaccinated. It is mind boggling that we are having to reinvent the wheel on this matter. And I’ll acknowledge this is a world wide issue, but what hurts the most is when you watch STUPID flailing for their right to be imbeciles and perpetuate the continuation of this disturbance.

More sinister, in the USA because the Head Shit (you know who) saw an angle to manipulate, it became part of his multi-pronged plan to dismantle our democracy which relies on manipulation hand in hand with Hard Core, Anti-Vax STUPID, riling them up over their imagined lost libertay at the hands of liberals. 😔

Have we really dumbed down to the lowest common denominator?
Is STUPID going to burn down the house?
...and SO ironic that the bulk of the vaccine production is in the US.

I'm surprised that the Republicans haven't figured it out yet. The elections over the last few decades have been by thin margins. They DO realize that fewer Republicans means they may not win again? :)

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Covid victim interviewed by the BBC receives a torrent of online hate from nutters saying he faked the whole thing. Perhaps sarcastically referring to yourself as a 'professional crisis actor' on your Instagram bio wasn't such a good idea after all

Top Bottom
1 2