COVID Stupid

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Let's just face it, some people for completely partisan reasons not qualifications, elected their own doom for their entire state.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1438673862468804608/

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1438666865992163329/

"I mean that's basically how the AIDS vaccine worked, you know people wouldn't take it early on 'cause it was mandated, they started educating people and now it's doing a lot of good out there."

A WFXG article from earlier this year also quoted the Republican governor mentioning an "AIDS vaccine."

He was discussing mask mandates, and according to the report said: "Well we are not going to have a statewide mask mandate. Dr. Tumi and I believe that they do not work. They did not work with the AIDs vaccine and they're not going to work with the corona vaccine."

A spokesperson for Kemp has since clarified to Newsweek that the governor intended to refer to the HPV vaccine.

Pretend to act surprised that "the governor intended to refer to", and what mandate he was referring to also. Bullshit. He's an idiot.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Pretend to act surprised that "the governor intended to refer to", and what mandate he was referring to also. Bullshit. He's an idiot.
Best case, yeah. Realistically worse, probably knew exactly what he was saying, intentionally getting the message out there before much later much less publicly “correcting” it.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Someone somewhere mentioned they couldn’t afford to risk having to take an unpaid day off work due to reactions to the shot, if they were to get those flu-like symptoms for a day after. Didn‘t dig deeper.

I think that’s trying to conflate 2 separate issues. Until recently there was an eviction moratorium and financial assistance for those experiencing financial hardship for covid related reasons. I haven’t heard of anybody losing their job or home because they went and got vaccinated. Sometimes repression of the poor is the voter fraud of the left. If the numbers aren’t supporting your narrative then shoehorn in repression of the poor. And I said sometimes, damnit. Not all the time.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ummm, have you heard the term food desert before? Welcome to the real America.

Real America, as in only folksy people are American?

That's why I was asking if there is any data comparing city poor vs rural poor. Where I live we have poor people but if you throw a rock you'd probably hit a vaccination center.

We mostly just talk about the vaccinated vs the willingly unvaccinated, but there are also people who don't get vaccinated because they don't think it's a priority and if they are too isolated to get vaccinated they might also assume they are too isolated to get covid.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I haven’t heard of anybody losing their job or home because they went and got vaccinated.
That's not what was claimed.
Someone somewhere mentioned they couldn’t afford to risk having to take an unpaid day off work due to reactions to the shot, if they were to get those flu-like symptoms for a day after.
People living paycheck-to-paycheck might not lose their job if they take a day off. But they also won't get paid if they miss a couple days of work due to side effects. The Biden administration addressed this issue, so hopefully it has been working for people who had been putting off getting the vaccine.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I think that’s trying to conflate 2 separate issues. Until recently there was an eviction moratorium and financial assistance for those experiencing financial hardship for covid related reasons. I haven’t heard of anybody losing their job or home because they went and got vaccinated. Sometimes repression of the poor is the voter fraud of the left. If the numbers aren’t supporting your narrative then shoehorn in repression of the poor. And I said sometimes, damnit. Not all the time.
It was presented as worrying about the consequences of losing the payment for those hours rather than losing the job, but yeah, not going to disagree with you.

Could simply be a convenient excuse for not getting a jab. Could be due to misinformation or a lack of information about their rights and available support. Could be outdated. Could be made up.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's not what was claimed.

People living paycheck-to-paycheck might not lose their job if they take a day off. But they also won't get paid if they miss a couple days of work due to side effects. The Biden administration addressed this issue, so hopefully it has been working for people who had been putting off getting the vaccine.

But again, if you missed pay and couldn't pay some of your rent as a result there was an eviction moratorium and related financial assistance. And I've never seen any proof of this hypothetical situation actually happening (like voter fraud).

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
But again, if you missed pay and couldn't pay some of your rent as a result there was an eviction moratorium and related financial assistance. And I've never seen any proof of this hypothetical situation actually happening (like voter fraud).
The point isn’t that millions of people have lost their homes because they got a vaccine. It’s about allaying fears. People are worried they COULD lose their their job or miss a rent payment, so they refuse the vaccine. This tax credit is meant to take away one possible reason for refusing or putting off the vaccine. The point is to get people vaccinated.

I have sympathy for somebody that (accurately or not) sees the risk of taking time off work as more dangerous than a disease they may or may not catch. They know if they miss 2 days of work, what that does to their budget. They might greatly underestimate the risk of COVID. I am in favor of the Biden tax credit to help people overcome that worry and get vaccinated.

I do NOT have much sympathy for people that refuse the vaccine as some sort of political virtue signaling.

And I have contempt for people that actively discourage others to refuse the vaccine for their own political or financial gain.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It was presented as worrying about the consequences of losing the payment for those hours rather than losing the job, but yeah, not going to disagree with you.

Could simply be a convenient excuse for not getting a jab. Could be due to misinformation or a lack of information about their rights and available support. Could be outdated. Could be made up.

I picture a news reporter attempting to go up to a poor person on the street to ask them why they aren’t vaccinated and some middle class hero runs into the frame and goes “I got this, bro. They aren’t vaccinated because they can’t afford to take time off work. And the government prioritized the rich. And Republicans blocked vaccine outreach and want non white poor people to die.”

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
The point isn’t that millions of people have lost their homes because they got a vaccine. It’s about allaying fears. People are worried they COULD lose their their job or miss a rent payment, so they refuse the vaccine. This tax credit is meant to take away one possible reason for refusing or putting off the vaccine. The point is to get people vaccinated.

I have sympathy for somebody that (accurately or not) sees the risk of taking time off work as more dangerous than a disease they may or may not catch. They know if they miss 2 days of work, what that does to their budget. They might greatly underestimate the risk of COVID. I am in favor of the Biden tax credit to help people overcome that worry and get vaccinated.

I do NOT have much sympathy for people that refuse the vaccine as some sort of political virtue signaling.

And I have contempt for people that actively discourage others to refuse the vaccine for their own political or financial gain.

Well, I was going to post this, but you beat me to it....

I don't believe that's what's been referenced. Similar to what we heard when people were doing the feel good "essential workers" ( the individuals who showed up restaurants to work to serve food for those who got to stay @ home, or grocery clerks, or other jobs that were looked down upon earlier ) before we moved to people being "lazy", was the recognition that some people couldn't afford NOT to work. It was the THREAT of a loss a job no matter how crappy it was, that would keep people going to work even if they were sick or infected. The hypothetical isn't that we aren't aware of numbers of people who lost jobs getting a vaccine, the hypothetical was that people may have feared the THREAT of wage loss or firing because they took time off for the vaccine. If they were like me, that time off wouldn't have included just the time to get the vaccine but the 24 - 36 hours it knocked me out so I couldn't get out of bed.

So if you believe the possible threat of losing wages or job, that might prevent you from getting the vaccine. Especially if your off days are so filled with other responsibilities, finding a place to get the vaccine then doing it might be something one would rather avoid.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I picture a news reporter attempting to go up to a poor person on the street to ask them why they aren’t vaccinated and some middle class hero runs into the frame and goes “I got this, bro. They aren’t vaccinated because they can’t afford to take time off work. And the government prioritized the rich. And Republicans blocked vaccine outreach and want non white poor people to die.”
That's kind of a dramatic 90 degree swerve that doesn't rely on ever finding out why "the poor person" is unvaccinated.

Maybe the person is, maybe they don't have the resources to find out, or maybe being vaccinated just doesn't seem like the 'end of the world' necessity it does to everyone else in that scenario.

A large part of the focus of the frustration with the unvaccinated isn't towards those who are genuinely undecided, can't, or unable. It's with those who put on the show of comparing themselves to those in the past going to gas chambers or being enslaved.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I want to sympathize with that but I don’t think that is a wide spread reason and if that is the reason they are giving, it’s not their one and only reason. It’s interesting that we are now in a situation where they could lose their job if they don’t get vaccinated. I think there are a lot of people attempting to play the least offensive excuse shell game.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's kind of a dramatic 90 degree swerve that doesn't rely on ever finding out why "the poor person" is unvaccinated.

Maybe the person is, maybe they don't have the resources to find out, or maybe being vaccinated just doesn't seem like the 'end of the world' necessity it does to everyone else in that scenario.

A large part of the focus of the frustration with the unvaccinated isn't towards those who are genuinely undecided, can't, or unable. It's with those who put on the show of comparing themselves to those in the past going to gas chambers or being enslaved.

I agree that was a little silly over the top, and for today's performance I'm being a little hardline in that the virus doesn't make a distinction between anti-vax idiots and the undecided (who are never going to be decided at this point).

U

User.45

Apparently I can't. ;)

Here. It's all about education level.

1631904475831.png

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User.45

View attachment 8720
My favorite is "doctor didn't recommend". Stated by 10% of the 10% i.e. 1% of the entire population claims their doctor didn't recommend. The prevalence of those with legitimate relative contraindications are probably 1 in 1,000 to 1 in 10,000, i.e in 1-10% of the group that makes this claim.

edited for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 8720

It would be interesting to see education level matched with who/what they are getting their information from.

Another dark side to the internet, before it existed people could legitimately be uninformed. Now they are actively being made dangerously ignorant.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Kaiser Family Foundation recently studied three months of data from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and concluded that “preventable Covid-19 hospitalizations” have cost the health care system an estimated $5.7 billion. The foundation defines preventable hospitalization as “hospitalizations of unvaccinated adults.” (If you want to read the report, it’s at www.kff.org.)

Top Bottom
1 2