Electric Vehicles: General topics

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
Haven't supercharged at all so all 1300 miles have been home charging and only cost $43 for that miles.
You are temping me to go look at SMT in my car to see my recent charging stats. Last time I looked I used something like 11124 kWh AC charging and like 834 kWh DC charging.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
No, what you really get is a family sedan than will smoke all but the $$$$$ supercars. :D

Yeah, I love how the equation has just been flipped on its head. When I talk about gas mileage equivalent vs. the performance, you're not talking about 40-50 MPG cars you're talking about cars that need 92-93 octane, and that get 12-15MPG.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
You are temping me to go look at SMT in my car to see my recent charging stats. Last time I looked I used something like 11124 kWh AC charging and like 834 kWh DC charging.

Now take into account, that is just me taking the 292 kwh consumption from the screen. That doesn't take into account of charging losses and the electricity used to precondition the car so the $43 I came up with is probably a little bit more, but still been ridiculous cheap to operate the Model 3. My Camaro would have cost $265 to go the same miles based off current price of premium in my area.

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
Driven 48746 miles, used 12272 kWh to drive said miles (252 Wh/mi). It appears that I have "lost" 6 kWh from new. TeslaFi is missing my first 15k miles but for what it has it claims I have spent ~1200 on fueling my ride.

F560ED99-FA1D-493B-8F00-52E8BE881A1E.png

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I love how the equation has just been flipped on its head. When I talk about gas mileage equivalent vs. the performance, you're not talking about 40-50 MPG cars you're talking about cars that need 92-93 octane, and that get 12-15MPG.
My EV gets between 4-5 miles per kilowatt hour. With electricity in DC at 13 cents per kWh, that is 13 cents to go 5 miles, or 2.5 cents per mile. A highly efficient car that gets 50 MPG at $3.50 a gallon, you are 7 cents per mile. So about 3x more expensive for fuel... and we know the average is slightly less than 25 MPG... so 14 cents per mile - 5.6x more expensive for fuel.

U

User.45

So I've heard that you can now remotely monitor you tesla's cameras in sentry mode?! Any experience with this?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

So that's like 7% at the costlier DCFC rates, right? I was looking for data on average vacation mileage, number of trips per year, etc., and it looks like most people are like you, in the 5-10% of total mileage as the type of use that necessitate a DCFC, of course, that doesn't include people who aren't taking long trips but also can't charge at the home or office for whatever reason.

You're right though, as you increase DCFC use, the cost savings vs. gas gets smaller, and could essentially be none depending on the current price of gas, efficiency of an ICE alternative.

(This is a little late, I had it in my editor all day ...)

Yep.

Can access live feed through the app once you turned on the setting in the car. Requires the premium connectivity plan( $10 a month).

I'm hoping this feature becomes available for WiFi too (knowing it's a way to push premium connectivity ...)

When my free year is over, I think I'm going to try a month or two without it, see how things work. An update from last year allows WiFi connectivity while the vehicle is operating, and my iP13 with 5G and unlimited data would be better performance. I think the only thing I'd really miss is Live Traffic, though traffic usually only comes up with us on a trip, and the wife is providing traffic guidance directly from her phone anyway.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I grew up wanting to have a Ford F250 heavy duty. My grandpa always had ford pickups on the farm that I got to drive (way before I got my driver's license). Definitely were a highlight of my year.

That truck just hmmm.

Surprised how many e-mustang suvs I see here in socal. They look great and wow they're quick (I drive a Civic).

I'll never get out of my head the two shattered windows of the cyber truck lol.

Doing a cross thread reply since this has a lot of other EV content :)

I grew up wanting to have a Ford F250 heavy duty. My grandpa always had ford pickups on the farm that I got to drive (way before I got my driver's license). Definitely were a highlight of my year.

A few great options for more traditional designs, and from Ford. The new Lighting appears to be a winner, if you can ever get one (and don't mind $70K for decent range), and the Silverado E just made its debut, looks like another solid EV truck (again, the range costs ...)

I think if someone said, "Here, you can have one of these, fully optioned to your spec: Ford Lightning, Chevy Silverado E, Rivian T1S", it would be a tough choice.

Surprised how many e-mustang suvs I see here in socal. They look great and wow they're quick (I drive a Civic).

I'm pretty surprised I haven't seen one on the street (though not specifically looking). They're selling well, and there's a ton of Teslas around here (so plenty of EV adoption), seems like that should equal seeing them semi-regularly on the road. I have seen that Kia that has the same taillights quite a bit, unless some of those are Mach-Es :unsure:

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm hoping this feature becomes available for WiFi too (knowing it's a way to push premium connectivity ...)

When my free year is over, I think I'm going to try a month or two without it, see how things work. An update from last year allows WiFi connectivity while the vehicle is operating, and my iP13 with 5G and unlimited data would be better performance. I think the only thing I'd really miss is Live Traffic, though traffic usually only comes up with us on a trip, and the wife is providing traffic guidance directly from her phone anyway.

Yeah would be nice for it to work on WiFi as well vs relying on the cellular data.

I am leaning towards paying the $10/month. I see value in it, but maybe a bit biased because $10 a month is cheaper than I was paying for Onstar on the Camaro. Heck it is one of the most reasonably priced items Tesla offers.... Even though I do intend to pick up acceleration boost, the $2K price is still a bit steep, don't get me started on FSD, and $2K for red paint is ridiculous( I probably would have gone red if it was under $1,000). So $10/month is a steal in Tesla pricing structure world. But now I have said that, expecting Elon to tweet it will go to $50/month in two weeks.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yeah would be nice for it to work on WiFi as well vs relying on the cellular data.

I am leaning towards paying the $10/month. I see value in it, but maybe a bit biased because $10 a month is cheaper than I was paying for Onstar on the Camaro.
I was on the fence and my wife convinced me to do it, in the end it's really not a bad value. For me the live traffic view, satellite maps and ability to view cameras live are worth it, I don't really care about the rest but watching Netflix while parked (or charging) is pretty cool too.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I was on the fence and my wife convinced me to do it, in the end it's really not a bad value. For me the live traffic view, satellite maps and ability to view cameras live are worth it, I don't really care about the rest but watching Netflix while parked (or charging) is pretty cool too.

For a second I went, " Wait you started to pay for it well before your year was up?" but then remembered Tesla reduced the free trial to 30 days back in October.

Still got 5 months left on my trial. :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
For a second I went, " Wait you started to pay for it well before your year was up?" but then remembered Tesla reduced the free trial to 30 days back in October.

Still got 5 months left on my trial. :)
FWIW they won't start charging me until my free 30 days are up but yeah I didn't get in on that deal.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Love the pass through bed on the Silverado like on the old Avalanche.

Yeah, the mid-gate is a really slick feature, and it splits 60/40 like the seats - plus you can get a full tonneau cover that locks, so you could extend the bed while keeping everything "inside" so to speak.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I posted about it on the other site that shall not be named, but my insurance is getting ridiculous. Went up by $200 for the next six month period no fault to my own. Sadly, Progressive is still the cheapest in my area for Tesla's. So not much choice.....

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Did you make any claims? Or just a rando increase?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I am leaning towards paying the $10/month.

I can see myself just saying screw it and going with the simplest solution, i.e., the $10/month. It's not really the money, just the idea of paying for an extra cellular service when we've got perfectly good, unlimited service, and a hot spot (that probably has superior performance).

They should offer like a $99/year discount.

But now I have said that, expecting Elon to tweet it will go to $50/month in two weeks.

Yeah, thanks A LOT :ROFLMAO:

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
I can see myself just saying screw it and going with the simplest solution, i.e., the $10/month. It's not really the money, just the idea of paying for an extra cellular service when we've got perfectly good, unlimited service, and a hot spot (that probably has superior performance).

They should offer like a $99/year discount.

Yeah, thanks A LOT :ROFLMAO:
Folks have asked for a yearly payment option, Elon seemed receptive (it was a tweet) so maybe in 2023? Lol.

Top Bottom
1 2