Electric Vehicles: General topics

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Also of note, Tesla is upping the V3 Superchargers to 324kW, not sure what can handle this, maybe the newer S and X[?] And also have the V4s on deck, I'm wondering if in addition to the new specs, they're also planning CSS connectors, like maybe some kind of dual cable setups.

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
I’m going to order the CCS adapter when it’s available on the US site. Can’t wait for the network to open up for non-Teslas

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
Also of note, Tesla is upping the V3 Superchargers to 324kW, not sure what can handle this, maybe the newer S and X[?] And also have the V4s on deck, I'm wondering if in addition to the new specs, they're also planning CSS connectors, like maybe some kind of dual cable setups.
I think the facelift S and X can charge around that 🔥

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
They didn’t confirm the new cells for the Austin Ys…

If video doesn't start at 8:50 that is where Musk states Giga Texas has been producing Y's with structural battery packs with the 4680. Berlin sticks with 2170 for now.

I’m going to order the CCS adapter when it’s available on the US site. Can’t wait for the network to open up for non-Teslas

Be sure to confirm that CCS support is enabled with your Tesla under the additional information tab under software menu.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, all the comments seemed to be saying the earnings call pretty much confirmed the 4680s

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If the Ys out of there are 4680s, get more power, and all the other perks (rear dual pane, Ryzen MCU, etc.,), I'm going to swap for a performance Y :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
FMA, the CSS connector is such an ungainly monstrosity ...

connector_comparison.jpg

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
If the Ys out of there are 4680s, get more power, and all the other perks (rear dual pane, Ryzen MCU, etc.,), I'm going to swap for a performance Y :D

For a little bit, I wouldn’t expect any major boosts to performance or range outside of the benefits of the weight reduction the front megacasts and 4680 structural battery pack provide unless Fremont changes over to 4680 once Giga Texas produces production Y’s. UNLESS all MYP production moves to Austin.

FMA, the CSS connector is such an ungainly monstrosity ...

connector_comparison.jpg

Yeah design and handling, Tesla plug FTW. But, CCS is able to supply more power. So that and a standard plug will have to happen within the next 10 years, gotta get used to it I guess….

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I wonder what happens to the Fremont production then. Will they switch to 4680s asap?

Conference call didn’t state what was the plan for Fremont and when they will transition. There have been front mega casts spotted at Fremont so I imagine Fremont will transition. Might wait until Austin can take up more of the load while Fremont is down?

What I would want to know is when will Model 3 transition to front+rear mega casts and 4680 structural pack……

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah design and handling, Tesla plug FTW. But, CCS is able to supply more power. So that and a standard plug will have to happen within the next 10 years, gotta get used to it I guess….

Having two standards in the longer term seems counterproductive, and with Teslas outside of the US using CSS in many markets, that seems like the logical way to go.

Hate the CCS cables. They’re so ungainly and cumbersome. I road-tripped an id4 few months ago for like 600 miles.

Ha! I've never even seen one, I mean, I'm familiar with the J1772 portion for our 4xe (and charger), but was just basing it on that pic and the Tesla adapter.

FWIW, those not in the know, CCS (Combined Charging System ... I always incorrectly write CSS for maybe obvious reasons ... :D), has this port:

1643284478559.png

The top portion is the J1772 connector (the round portion), like you'll see on L2 home and destination chargers, and some cars only have this (I believe it's mostly in PHEVs like ours). CSS adds the bottom oval area to accommodate DC charging from commercial fast chargers, but still uses the top as well (for communication), so the charger connector looks like this:

ccs-connector.jpg

51ae5083561359127595cb498a88e557.jpg

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
Like a company not run by a blatantly misogynistic libertarian jerk who thinks he is above the law? Or a company not run by a maniac who will dig up your driving data and spew it publicly on Twitter to prove the car was not at fault after you had a major collision? Maybe a company not run by a hypocrite who pretends to care about the environment but then decided it would be cool to get involved with crypto currency bullshit to spike the price, so he could get more money. Or maybe a company not run by a guy who thinks he is genius and decided that SpaceX engineers should design a submarine to rescue kids trapped in a cave and then publicly called the actual person running the rescue operation a pedo guy because he dared to criticse and insult Musk and his submarine. He then doubled down to prove what kind of a person he actually was by hiring a private investigator to dig up dirt on the guy.

We can only hope.

But I guess the above is just business as usual for many people in the US these days. At least other CEOs are not tweeting about sending women to TITS university.

So, I take it you really don’t like their ceo.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
So, I take it you really don’t like their ceo.

This is not a defense of Musk, but I still find it funny and not seen a good explanation how you can hate Tesla because of its asshole CEO, but are fans of Apple whose founder is equally known to be an asshole( especially during the early years).

U

User.45

So you mean the BMW M3?
Model3. I'll not buy another BMW. Their dealerships are giving me the heebie-jeebies. Last place I went had a "masks optional" policy contrary to my state's mask mandate...

U

User.45

This is not a defense of Musk, but I still find it funny and not seen a good explanation how you can hate Tesla because of its asshole CEO, but are fans of Apple whose founder is equally known to be an asshole( especially during the early years).
Well, per that analogy, I should wait to buy my first Tesla when Musk died. Jobs may have been an awful person, but his karma caught up to him when he managed to die of a curable cancer.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Model3. I'll not buy another BMW. Their dealerships are giving me the heebie-jeebies. Last place I went had a "masks optional" policy contrary to my state's mask mandate...
Same with our BMW dealership when I went in to sell it back to them after the lease, maybe 1/3 were wearing masks, I told the guy who was helping us he would need to put one on or refer us to someone else who would. Then there was a maskless lady sitting toward the front who kept coughing without covering her mouth, we basically only came in when called and did all of our signing outside.

Seriously man, a huge swath of this country simply doesn't give a fuck about who they infect. When they asked for my feedback they got it with a 1 star rating, who knows, maybe someone at the top was listening.

U

User.45

Same with our BMW dealership when I went in to sell it back to them after the lease, maybe 1/3 were wearing masks, I told the guy who was helping us he would need to put one on or refer us to someone else who would. Then there was a maskless lady sitting toward the front who kept coughing without covering her mouth, we basically only came in when called and did all of our signing outside.

Seriously man, a huge swath of this country simply doesn't give a fuck about who they infect. When they asked for my feedback they got it with a 1 star rating, who knows, maybe someone at the top was listening.
When I saw the "masks encouraged but optional" written on the door I was like faaaawk, I've already made this appointment and don't have time to go back.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Well, per that analogy, I should wait to buy my first Tesla when Musk died. Jobs may have been an awful person, but his karma caught up to him when he managed to die of a curable cancer.

Did you start buying Apple products after Cook took over and Jobs died?

Top Bottom
1 2