Electric Vehicles: General topics

U

User.45

I'm hoping this feature becomes available for WiFi too (knowing it's a way to push premium connectivity ...)

When my free year is over, I think I'm going to try a month or two without it, see how things work. An update from last year allows WiFi connectivity while the vehicle is operating, and my iP13 with 5G and unlimited data would be better performance. I think the only thing I'd really miss is Live Traffic, though traffic usually only comes up with us on a trip, and the wife is providing traffic guidance directly from her phone anyway.
I think this answered your question already:) It won't support wifi. Honestly, where I live there's a lot of car break-ins so having the car in Sentry mode and watching it off WIFI would be a killer deal. Thanks my Mesh wifi I can get signal a block down, LOL.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Folks have asked for a yearly payment option, Elon seemed receptive (it was a tweet) so maybe in 2023? Lol.
I know Tesla is his creation but maybe it's time they let executive management make some of these decisions instead leaving it all up to someone bong-tweeting the first thing that comes to mind.

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
I know Tesla is his creation but maybe it's time they let executive management make some of these decisions instead leaving it all up to someone bong-tweeting the first thing that comes to mind.
At some point he is going to leave Tesla and I am pretty sure when that happens Tesla will quickly fall into acting like other car companies. All these free updates and user inspired changes? Don’t expect them to continue (I’d like to be wrong, but so far no other startup is acting like how Tesla has acted on the software side so I can easily see that stuff stopping).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm pretty surprised I haven't seen one on the street (though not specifically looking). They're selling well, and there's a ton of Teslas around here (so plenty of EV adoption), seems like that should equal seeing them semi-regularly on the road. I have seen that Kia that has the same taillights quite a bit, unless some of those are Mach-Es :unsure:

Hahaha, well heck, we were behind one coming home last night :D Looks like it was a Premium based on the wheels (and referencing the Ford site).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
People are claiming it's to do with high costs of Tesla EV parts replacements and insurance companies adjusting accordingly. No solid proof of anything though.

It's all EVs and anything with new-er-ish tech. I have a buddy in the insurance industry, he said there's some amount of uncertainty about repairability, parts (batteries!), etc., that are starting to affect cost projections, especially as EVs start becoming more common. I see people getting 30-40% high rates on a like priced Taycan (EV) vs. a Panamera (ICE), which is a good comparison of the same vehicle segment (in the same manufacturer).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
At some point he is going to leave Tesla and I am pretty sure when that happens Tesla will quickly fall into acting like other car companies. All these free updates and user inspired changes? Don’t expect them to continue (I’d like to be wrong, but so far no other startup is acting like how Tesla has acted on the software side so I can easily see that stuff stopping).
Free? If I want to make my car go a split second faster that will be $2000 please. Oh, and how about that $12,000 to unlock FSD? Not sure if Musk is just evil or a marketing genius but he has people clamoring to take their money while he tokes all day on a couch tweeting out Tesla teasers and trolling Bernie Sanders.

As for free OS updates, I believe it is a standard that will likely continue as it does with iPhone, Android, etc. The car (hardware) itself comes preloaded with a bunch of turned off switches that people will need to pay to activate, that's where they make their money.

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
Free? If I want to make my car go a split second faster that will be $2000 please. Oh, and how about that $12,000 to unlock FSD? Not sure if Musk is just evil or a marketing genius but he has people clamoring to take their money while he tokes all day on a couch tweeting out Tesla teasers and trolling Bernie Sanders.

As for free OS updates, I believe it is a standard that will likely continue as it does with iPhone, Android, etc. The car (hardware) itself comes preloaded with a bunch of turned off switches that people will need to pay to activate, that's where they make their money.
Well not all the software is free, clearly. But no other automaker is updating the look and feel of their infotainment, or adding things like Dashcam/sentry mode on existing vehicles. That stuff gets reserved for a new model year. While it would be nice for the industry to adopt what Tesla is doing in those regards they have been really really slow to. There was an article about a newer version of the Taycan trip planner that prioritizes high speed chargers when planning trips, with Porsche being noncommittal on existing cars getting the update (and with Porsche you have to pay extra for the trip planner functionality IIRC).

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
Oh and we did get two performance updates on the Model 3 for free. Then folks started talking about how they would pay for more performance and then tada the $2000 50hp update was born.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Oh and we did get two performance updates on the Model 3 for free. Then folks started talking about how they would pay for more performance and then tada the $2000 50hp update was born.
He has them eating out of his hands

1643213228232.jpeg

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
He has them eating out of his hands

View attachment 11314
Somewhat Ironically they have refused to take some of our money (those of us with '18 AWD models pretty much have the same cars as the performance models) for a "full" performance unlock.

Going consensus is that they do not want to alienate the '20 folk that started getting the different motor.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
If the Model 3 Stealth was still offered, I don't think Acceleration Boost would exist. Heck, if the Stealth still existed, I probably would have gone that direction.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
So sounds like Giga Austin is gearing up for actual deliveries and Elon confirmed Model Y's coming out of Austin will head east as planned and have all the new goodies( Structural battery pack and 4680).

Come on Austin Y for my moms order!*

*Will still take delivery even if it is a Fremont Y

U

User.45

So I've decided to keep my I3 and buy an M3 setting aside my hatred towards Musk.
I think I could live with its quirks as a second car. I prefer range over anything so 18" wheels, long-range, metallic.
M3 owners, any extra recommendations/things to consider?

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
So I've decided to keep my I3 and buy an M3 setting aside my hatred towards Musk.
I think I could live with its quirks as a second car. I prefer range over anything so 18" wheels, long-range, metallic.
M3 owners, any extra recommendations/things to consider?

sqtko.jpg

Congrats on joining the dark side! Despite your hatred of Musk, you will love the Tesla.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
sqtko.jpg

Congrats on joining the dark side! Despite your hatred of Musk, you will love the Tesla.
Going to assume he means the Model 3 judging by the Musk comment but model names matter here, BMW has an actual M3.

That being the case, congrats!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Going to assume he means the Model 3 judging by the Musk comment but model names matter here, BMW has an actual M3.

That being the case, congrats!

I think we have to come to an agreement that a Tesla Model 3 is a TM3 with the model variant suffixes: SR/LR/P (thought the SR is now model-variant-less in the name :D)

The M3 will always be the M3, not the TM3 :cool:

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
So sounds like Giga Austin is gearing up for actual deliveries and Elon confirmed Model Y's coming out of Austin will head east as planned and have all the new goodies( Structural battery pack and 4680).

Come on Austin Y for my moms order!*

*Will still take delivery even if it is a Fremont Y
They didn’t confirm the new cells for the Austin Ys…

Top Bottom
1 2