Electric Vehicles: General topics

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I saw that they are offering months-earlier delivery dates if you pay $12K for full self driving mode.
All anyone has to do is watch their local dealerships and they'll likely be able to get the 3 or Y within a day or two. Even if it comes with FSD you can then have it removed at time of purchase, that's what I did.

Word is out an how crappy FSD is, nobody wants it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wow, the X Plaid went up a bunch ($12.5K), just as I was thinking about us moving, selling the Jeep and Model 3 and getting an X as a single vehicle :D

It does actually normalize the price difference between X LR / S LR and their respective Plaid flavors, the S used to be almost 2x the price jump even though the upgrade is more or less the same between the two.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Email from BMW today. Due to the situation in the Ukraine 🇺🇦, my order is delayed. So who knows when I’ll see my car.
Sorry to hear that, was it really customized? I ask because you may be able to look locally and see if they have something similar on a local lot and maybe transfer your order.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, was it really customized? I ask because you may be able to look locally and see if they have something similar on a local lot and maybe transfer your order.
There’s nothing I’m afraid. I’d ordered with a number of options. Leather interior and reversing camera. The only models they have seem to be the base model.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
June or July?!!!!! Agggh, that has to be frustrating!!!!

Seems par of the course for cars these days though seems like the issue for Apple Fanboy's delay is Ukraine.

My mom ordered the Model Y back in October with the current estimate being June for delivery.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Seems par of the course for cars these days though seems like the issue for Apple Fanboy's delay is Ukraine.

My mom ordered the Model Y back in October with the current estimate being June for delivery.
My boss picked up his model Y today. Can’t remember when he ordered it, but it was a while back.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My boss picked up his model Y today. Can’t remember when he ordered it, but it was a while back.
They're pretty easy to get from local dealerships because a lot of people cancel, so you can watch for them to come available online and then just transfer your order and go pick it up that day and likely have it close to what you originally asked for with features, etc..

It's one of the benefits of pre-orders I guess, if you back out you're out the $250 but you can walk away. They go really fast but it's a great way to pick it up right away.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
My wife drives 110 miles every other day for college. We had a day where thanks to traffic on the 10, she got to college late and all the charging stations were full - (at 8:30am) - and we weren’t able to charge at college - and had to use the car for a ~60 mile trip in between college days. Resulted in 40 miles left on the car.

Definitely feeling the slow charging at home… (4-5mi/hr). (Nearest supercharger is a 15 min drive away).

Definitely a bit different than a gas car. But we’re not complaining - just noticing the difference. Lol. Too bad it’s $3k+ to install an EV charger where we live (and owner doesn’t want to pay part of it).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My wife drives 110 miles every other day for college. We had a day where thanks to traffic on the 10, she got to college late and all the charging stations were full - (at 8:30am) - and we weren’t able to charge at college - and had to use the car for a ~60 mile trip in between college days. Resulted in 40 miles left on the car.

Definitely feeling the slow charging at home… (4-5mi/hr). (Nearest supercharger is a 15 min drive away).

Definitely a bit different than a gas car. But we’re not complaining - just noticing the difference. Lol. Too bad it’s $3k+ to install an EV charger where we live (and owner doesn’t want to pay part of it).
When I was shopping around I found that unless you were able to install it directly around the circuit box it was anywhere between $3k and $5K, mostly because of that specifically expensive wire they need to run. Is it that your landlord won't help, or won't allow it? Depending on how long you expect to live there it may be a worthwhile investment that would likely pay for itself eventually (especially compared to recent gas prices), it will offer a ton of convenience at 30 MPH or so.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
When I was shopping around I found that unless you were able to install it directly around the circuit box it was anywhere between $3k and $5K, mostly because of that specifically expensive wire they need to run. Is it that your landlord won't help, or won't allow it? Depending on how long you expect to live there it may be a worthwhile investment that would likely pay for itself eventually (especially compared to recent gas prices), it will offer a ton of convenience at 30 MPH or so.
Landlord said we could install it if we wanted but we’re not sure if we’re staying here more than a year and a $3k investment on a rental property …. Ehhh — we’ll take trips to the Supercharger if we need to (we didn’t need to this time) lol. So we’re doing ok.

Yeah the circuit breaker is upstairs around a corner - that’s where most of the cost comes from. That and the 20 drywall repair holes they said they’d have to do. My friend has a Tesla home charger - he let me charge at his house when we went on that road trip - would be so cool to charge my car completely in a handful of hours (vs 25+ lol). But hey, we’re happy. Very happy.

Other charging is free (at UCLA). :D

One thing for sure, we really underestimated the amount of driving we did (when we went from 2 cars to 1). (It’s working tho!)

1647705088636.png

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
Subaru Solterra reviews are trickling out. Seems like a decent around-town EV.

The charging speed is a huge letdown though. 100kW peak speeds. They're saying nearly an hour to get to 80%. On-board charger only does 6.6 kW too 🤦🏼‍♂️

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Subaru Solterra reviews are trickling out. Seems like a decent around-town EV.

The charging speed is a huge letdown though. 100kW peak speeds. They're saying nearly an hour to get to 80%. On-board charger only does 6.6 kW too 🤦🏼‍♂️
I had a Subaru for 15 years, and would have bought another but decided to go EV. If they had an EV 6 years ago, I probably would have stuck with the brand.

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
I had a Subaru for 15 years, and would have bought another but decided to go EV. If they had an EV 6 years ago, I probably would have stuck with the brand.

Yeah, Subarus are insanely popular where I grew up. You're supposed to own an Outback (with a Labrador in the back) at some point of your life 😀

I'm sure the loyalists will flock to this EV but they need to work on the powertrain

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
Tempted to buy an EV at the moment.

• Locally, i could order a model 3 (for example, not set on model 3, but just for comparison figures) for 70k AUD on the road.
  • I pay approximately $5000-6000 /yr in fuel with my current vehicle. A model 3, assuming it had similar range would cost me about 1/4 that in electricity if i was to use public charging, 1/8th if i charged at home.
  • I pay around $1000 in servicing per year with the current vehicle
  • I can “salary sacrifice” finance for it through employer, so it comes out of my pay pre-tax which might save me say 25-30% (maybe more) as it is pre-tax (i.e., i get the full benefit of the dollars to pay it off pre-tax rather than the 60-70c i get after tax to spend).
  • Residual values appear to be strong here - 2019 model 3s are still approximately 60k
So. Assuming the car is worth lets say 35k (50%) over 5 years, i’d save say 25-30k in fuel costs alone over 5 years even at current values (assuming they don’t go up). Essentially, i’d be spending 70k to have something worth at least 35k + 25k in fuel savings by the end of the loan, plus as it would come out pre-tax the net impact to my income would be less than the 70k+ interest. What i’m getting at is that the fuel savings plus the fact i can pay for the car pre-tax may actually make very little dent in my after-tax income when fuel cost is taken into account.

The problem? Current car is a sedan based ute (think something like the El Camino for the US people). i want something with a tray that isn’t 4-5 feet off the ground to load motorcycles into.

I guess i could keep the ute for that, but that’s yet another vehicle in the garage…. first world problems i know… but damn, why can’t someone build a useful EV that can carry stuff that isn’t on stilts so you can’t actually ride stuff up into it or lift above your head to load it??

edit:
Actually interested to see the new Kia EV6. It has similar range to the Tesla and we actually have Kia dealers in the country; i’d perhaps feel a little less concerned about customer service with a local dealer network.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@throAU

That employer financed option is a pretty sweet deal (I guess if you leave their employment it rolls over into some kind of traditional finance?)

What you might think about is an EV with a decent tow capacity, and a small trailer, looks like there are aluminum ride up options for 3, 400-ish so pounds, can handle 2K lbs total, so a max towing requirement of ~2500 lbs (assuming heavier bikes, you might be talking about light offroad bikes).

The VW ID.4 can do 2700 in AWD, the Tesla Model Y has a pretty stout 3500 lb capacity, etc.

Top Bottom
1 2