Electric Vehicles: General topics

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Lexus, the luxury automaker owned by Toyota, announced that it will reveal its first electric vehicle on Wednesday, April 20th, at 6AM ET.

Interior pic ... holy f-ing heck ... it's a yoke. :oops:

1649195385286.png

(I guess it's an option ...)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Lexus, the luxury automaker owned by Toyota, announced that it will reveal its first electric vehicle on Wednesday, April 20th, at 6AM ET.

View attachment 13013

Is there an appeal to that type of (not really a) wheel? Seems like it would take some getting used to.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score

View attachment 13013

If you pull it, does it take off?

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

View attachment 13013

I'm confused. Is car yoke rotation restricted to -45 degrees to +45 degrees, to turn its front wheels from full left to full right? Or can the yoke rotate 2-3 revolutions like a regular car?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Is there an appeal to that type of (not really a) wheel? Seems like it would take some getting used to.

I guess the idea is less obstruction of the dash/window, keeping your hands at a more "correct" driving position, and being easier to position since it doesn't collide with your legs.

But ...

I'm confused. Is car yoke rotation restricted to -45 degrees to +45 degrees, to turn its front wheels from full left to full right? Or can the yoke rotate 2-3 revolutions like a regular car?

Well, right, I've driven some dedicated track cars with a yoke, and they have high ratio steering, very responsive, to the point of not being a good idea for a street car.

The issue with the yoke on the Tesla Model S/X, is the steering ratio is consistent regardless of speed, so while it's pretty effective at higher speeds, at lower speeds, like in a parking, lot, you're having to go hand-over-hand, and you can't really shuffle steer at moderate speeds. Even at track speeds, like the Ring runs done in the Model S Plaid, with legit drivers, they got a little crossed up trying to correct.

The ideal implementation would be to dynamically adjust the ratio, so around a parking lot the wheel to wheel lock wouldn't require more than like a 90° rotation (so not "over the top" where you're crossed up or need to swap hands).

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

View attachment 13013

It's only a matter of time before you have KITT from Knightrider. Just be careful with the windshield wipers.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's only a matter of time before you have KITT from Knightrider. Just be careful with the windshield wipers.

OMG, hahaha, I totally forgot about the interior of KITT ...

1649203111711.png

JFC, I didn't realize how much the two pics matched, hahahaha ...

Last edited:

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
OMG, hahaha, I totally forgot about the interior of KITT ...

View attachment 13014

It's pretty much what I think of whenever I see a Tesla. Apparently it's not just me.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
JFC manufacturers, you have to do better than this ...

It's two weeks out from being a year old, and you want me to pay $99 for a nav update, hahahaha, fuck right off. At least in the Jeep we can use CP (which is better anyway), and honestly, we rarely use any kind of nav outside of Wife providing nav input directly from her phone.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
JFC manufacturers, you have to do better than this ...

View attachment 13036

It's two weeks out from being a year old, and you want me to pay $99, hahahaha, fuck right off. At least in the Jeep we can use CP (which is better anyway), and honestly, we rarely use any kind of nav outside of Wife providing nav input directly from her phone.
They do make for a good werecar.

qn89a1i5qkb11.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
They do make for a good werecar.

I think you showed me that before, but yeah, I'd totally do that :D Funny enough, the wife wouldn't care :ROFLMAO:

I am thinking about scoring the Gladiator grill/fog light inserts, they're flat black vs. gloss silver, I think it would match the rest of the trim better.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Let’s get a convoy going and block all the gas station pumps with our EVs. But let’s not pee on ourselves like those other convoy people.
I love that we now have to use this reminder: "remember, don't piss yourself..."

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think you showed me that before, but yeah, I'd totally do that :D Funny enough, the wife wouldn't care :ROFLMAO:

I am thinking about scoring the Gladiator grill/fog light inserts, they're flat black vs. gloss silver, I think it would match the rest of the trim better.

I used that one before, but according to Futurama, the werecar lives for another 978 years. It could probably be referenced a few more times. I probably also mentioned that Tesla is clearly responsible for the genesis of the original werecar.

99uodiee2b541.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That Tesla knew EXACTLY what it was doing ...

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to see a Lucid Air in Chestnut Hill, MA yesterday. Poor quality picture, I wasn’t interested enough to stop and check it out up close. On paper it looks like an interesting competitor to the Model S and the reviews seem to indicate a nicer quality interior. It’ll be interesting to see how they fare versus Tesla, especially given the lack of S/C network.

9BD9EFBC-66A6-4804-8823-D18724F790F4.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2