Garbled text when typing

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
For the past couple months or so, I've noticed that text I've already typed gets messed up. Sometimes, phrases overlie what I've already entered; other times, they appear in other places in the entry box. I was thinking this was only happening to me, but there's a thread in the Apple discussion forums about it. It's not just on websites, either. It also affects Apple's mail app and maybe others. The speculation is that this is a bug in WebKit. I can't tell, but it's quite onerous when I'm trying to dash off a quick email or comment.

Have any of you encountered this problem?

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
For the past couple months or so, I've noticed that text I've already typed gets messed up. Sometimes, phrases overlie what I've already entered; other times, they appear in other places in the entry box. I was thinking this was only happening to me, but there's a thread in the Apple discussion forums about it. It's not just on websites, either. It also affects Apple's mail app and maybe others. The speculation is that this is a bug in WebKit. I can't tell, but it's quite onerous when I'm trying to dash off a quick email or comment.

Have any of you encountered this problem?
I saw the thread, but have not experienced it. Normally, we point to touching the trackpad while typing, but you wouldn't expect it in some applications and not others.

I also prefer to use my laptop with an attached keyboard, so under normal circumstances don't need to worry about the trackpad.

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
I routinely observe this when writing forum posts or using the Outlook web mail (which my employer unfortunately pushes down our throats). It’s really annoying. No idea whether it’s a bug in WebKit or problem with web apps themselves.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure it’s WebKit. I see it as well, but I only see it in Safari and not Edge. It doesn’t seem to change the actual text in the control, just how it’s displayed. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen rendering bugs in WebKit with text controls.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure it’s WebKit. I see it as well, but I only see it in Safari and not Edge. It doesn’t seem to change the actual text in the control, just how it’s displayed. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen rendering bugs in WebKit with text controls.
Makes sense. The bug definitely doesn't change the text, but it's still quite annoying. Resizing the text-entry space often fixes the display, but not always.

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score

Yeah, this makes sense. One observation is that I usually encounter this issue when the web app tries to do some additional processing or formatting, it's not something that occurs in regular plain text fields. So — at least in my experience — this has to do with the interaction between WebKit and richer text APIs. Maybe some sort of race condition where the web app updates the contents and WebKit fails to render it correctly.

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
BTW, it could be that the latest Safari Technology Preview fixes the issue. I've been using it since yesterday and didn't see any corruption yet. Also, the weird lag I had in Outlook seems to be much better. Could be just lucky though...

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Now that it seems this bug is fixed, I wonder if anyone experiences the Safari bug where it doesn’t reload new versions of a page. I often have issues where I press reload, and it looks like nothing has changed. Yet if I navigate elsewhere, then come back, new content is shown. Very frustrating.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
As soon as I learned about the latest software update resolving this issue, I promptly ran it and so far, so good -- no more issues with garbled text!!!! YAY!!!
I haven’t encountered the problem since updating, but someone in the Apple discussion forum said they did. Not sure what that’s about.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Now that it seems this bug is fixed, I wonder if anyone experiences the Safari bug where it doesn’t reload new versions of a page. I often have issues where I press reload, and it looks like nothing has changed. Yet if I navigate elsewhere, then come back, new content is shown. Very frustrating.
Hmm. I haven’t seen that but will pay more attention.

Top Bottom
1 2