Guns are still America’s religion

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
In southern Utah, an estranged husband came into the house to shoot to death his wife, their five chidren and her grandmother. The family released a statement, which included

… We would caution media outlets and the public at large about using our family’s story for any advocacy of political agendas. Protective arms were purposely removed from the home prior to the incident because all adults were properly trained to protect human life. This is the type of loss that will continue to occur in families, communities and this nation when protective arms are no longer accessible. …

Which seems to read "do as we say, not as we say."
I’m confused. Is this supposed to be an “I told you not to give away your guns” from the surviving family members? And then they tell others not to bring politics into it (which I don’t think anybody was) while they bring politics into it themselves.

A tragedy followed by an incomprehensible and offensive response from the family. 🙁

Creepy follow-up: Whoever started the GoFundMe page for this took a picture of the family, and… well I will let these pictures tell the story for me:

Before:

1673750747045.jpeg

After:

1673750713842.png

🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Illinois passed an assault weapons ban. Pritzker was asked to respond to sheriffs and associations who said they would not comply with or enforce the law.

Pritzker said it’s the law, they will follow it, they will enforce it, and they don’t get to pick and choose what laws they will enforce. He’s a surprisingly tough dude.

Agree or not, Pritzker has accomplished a shit-ton in his first term. Read about it, it’s a LOT, and every stupid decision by the Supreme Court means Illinois’ supermajority progressive legislature passes even more liberal laws. The GOP has pushed a once-red and still moderate (despite the constant democrat wins) state to vote reliably blue. Moderates win local races all the time, mayors of cities outside of Chicago bounce between parties, they elect republicans and democrats to congress. But the GOP is getting killed statewide.

So Pritzker has had another major legislative victory (though it will also be ammunition for the gun lobbies). He’s improved IL credit rating, passed balanced budgets, invested in multiple initiatives, passed recreational marijuana, women’s healthcare rights, etc.

He’s also a billionaire and since those folks buying their way into office is nothing new, I suppose I’d rather have one who is competent, with an actual proven track record at successfully governing and improving the state, during a pandemic crisis no less.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Illinois passed an assault weapons ban. Pritzker was asked to respond to sheriffs and associations who said they would not comply with or enforce the law.

Pritzker said it’s the law, they will follow it, they will enforce it, and they don’t get to pick and choose what laws they will enforce. He’s a surprisingly tough dude.

Perhaps he needs to have a conversation with Chicago DA Alvin Bragg who within days of being sworn in published a list of crimes he won't prosecute.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
In southern Utah, an estranged husband came into the house to shoot to death his wife, their five chidren and her grandmother. The family released a statement, which included

… We would caution media outlets and the public at large about using our family’s story for any advocacy of political agendas. Protective arms were purposely removed from the home prior to the incident because all adults were properly trained to protect human life. This is the type of loss that will continue to occur in families, communities and this nation when protective arms are no longer accessible. …

Which seems to read "do as we say, not as we say."
The good ole guns are the problem, more guns are the solution rational. :unsure:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Perhaps he needs to have a conversation with Chicago DA Alvin Bragg who within days of being sworn in published a list of crimes he won't prosecute.

It was not a list so much as a broad declaration that he intended to focus on violent crimes, setting aside the petty misdemeanors and "resisting arrest". The underlying premise would be that the police are using the little BS and "resisting" to target unwarranted harassment on the people they do not like while not putting enough effort into going after the serious criminals. And, quite frankly, the harassment breeds resentment and pushes some people toward criminality who would not otherwise be inclined to be troublemakers.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
@GermanSuplex & @Yoused beat me to the punch: you're outrageously wrong... again! Bragg is the Manhattan DA. He published no such list. He wants his office to focus on real issues and not harass citizens. As @Yoused stated:

And, quite frankly, the harassment breeds resentment and pushes some people toward criminality who would not otherwise be inclined to be troublemakers.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
WTF. This reminds me of the footage from the Las Vegas shootings a few years back. Scary to read about, but scarier to view.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
How special or ignorant do you have to be today to imagine you can pack a gun in your carry-on luggage at an airport?

An embedded tweet is pretty disheartening....

tweet from the TSA re guns detected in carry-on luggage.jpg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
not just US America (translated)

Lawyer Leandro Mathias de Novaes, 40, was hit by a shot of his own firearm while accompanying his mother in the magnetic resonance procedure on Monday afternoon (16). The lawyer, who releases pro-weapon content on TikTok, is hospitalized in serious condition.

What an idiot. Both he and his mother had to sign paperwork beforehand acknowledging understanding of how MRI works and to not carry metallic objects. Then he goes into the procedure area with his mother and when the machine kicks in, the magnetism jostles the gun he's carrying and it fires a round that hits him. The cops say the gun was legal and registered to him,,,, so it's not like he was sorta caught out and just didn't want to reveal he was carrying.

Anyway that MRI unit needs to install metal detectors. Who wants to work there if even the clients or family members who are lawyers are gonna be that stupid.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

Didn’t go where I expected.

Gun advocates deflecting from the actual point of the debate by smugly correcting people on what AR actually stands for as some kind of “you don’t even know what you’re talking about “ defense are also WRONG. 😂

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I think we need to pray HARDER, that should keep the guns out of the hands of 6 year olds and mass murderers.

But the 6-year-old who shot his teacher was described as "disturbed". And, anyway, the gun was "secured", what more could you ask?

(family attorney) Ellenson told The Associated Press by phone Thursday evening that his understanding is that the gun was in the mother’s closet on a top shelf that was well over six feet high. The weapon also had a trigger lock that requires a key, similar to a bike lock.

Regarding how the child may have gotten access to the gun, Ellenson said: “We don’t know.”

Top Bottom
1 2