Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Unfortunately Kentucky lawmakers didn’t expel their Democrat house members which would have prevented this from happening.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lately whether a gun used in a mass shooting was purchased legally or not seems to be a reporting point. I'd like to see that data being collected and reported for all mass shootings. I'd also like to see the same data reported on a state by state basis ie: 8 out of 10 guns used in mass shootings were purchased legally in the state where they were used, but in [insert state here] only 3 of those guns would be legal purchases by that state's laws.

I don't know which state has the most laxed gun laws and which has the most restrictive, but just pulling a couple states out of my ass let's say 100% of guns used in TX mass shootings were legal purchases but in CA 50% of those would be illegal purchases.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Lately whether a gun used in a mass shooting was purchased legally or not seems to be a reporting point. I'd like to see that data being collected and reported for all mass shootings. I'd also like to see the same data reported on a state by state basis ie: 8 out of 10 guns used in mass shootings were purchased legally in the state where they were used, but in [insert state here] only 3 of those guns would be legal purchases by that state's laws.

I don't know which state has the most laxed gun laws and which has the most restrictive, but just pulling a couple states out of my ass let's say 100% of guns used in TX mass shootings were legal purchases but in CA 50% of those would be illegal purchases.

While this data would be nice to know, I don't think the Feds would do anything with it, ie. go after straw buyers/sellers.

Also, a "legal" purchase could also be illegal if the person lied on the BGC. If it comes back clean, the purchase as far as the dealer knows is legal. But if the person lied about mental illness or alcoholism or heroin addiction, then the purchase would be illegal, but only after an investigation.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
While this data would be nice to know, I don't think the Feds would do anything with it, ie. go after straw buyers/sellers.

Also, a "legal" purchase could also be illegal if the person lied on the BGC. If it comes back clean, the purchase as far as the dealer knows is legal. But if the person lied about mental illness or alcoholism or heroin addiction, then the purchase would be illegal, but only after an investigation.

And that's why background checks should evolve to background investigations, similar to investigations performed when someone applies for a US security clearance. For both licensed dealers and private sales. That would be a substantial step in the right direction.

Kicking the can and reflexively crying "mental health" doesn't cut it.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
And that's why background checks should evolve to background investigations, similar to investigations performed when someone applies for a US security clearance. For both licensed dealers and private sales. That would be a substantial step in the right direction.

Kicking the can and reflexively crying "mental health" doesn't cut it.

Sure, but how would that catch someone lying about a heroin addiction for example. If that person had never been arrested for it, nothing will show in the BGC.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I think it would be useful information to study if nothing else. There seems to be a serious lack of information on what works and what doesn't that just leads to both sides making theoretical claims they want to state as fact.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Sure, but how would that catch someone lying about a heroin addiction for example. If that person had never been arrested for it, nothing will show in the BGC.

Well... you'll never achieve 100.0% perfection 100.0% percent of the time. If you could reduce mass shootings by 80% that would be an excellent start. Or even half.

A real background investigation would in addition to having arrests and psychiatric holds databases examined, would include having investigators talk to your neighbors wherever you've lived for the last 20 years and get their personal assessment of your mental stability (and fitness to own a firearm). Ditto with teachers, employers, past co-workers, friends you've listed, and friends of your friends listed (so you can't game the result).

Just a few minutes ago I was watching on the news the Louisville surgeon who treated the injured at the yesterday's mass shooting being interviewed. He's pissed and mad as hell at having to treat so many people of gun violence over the years and so often telling family members he's sorry but your loved ones didn't make it. Ditto with his staff. They're all worn out and mad as hell. It was a gut-wrenching interview.

Since AR-15 type assault weapons have become the weapon of choice for the crazies and mentally ill wanting to make statement, and quickly kill/maim as many people as possible, start by banning them and other semi-automatic assault type weapons. Sadly, and as an aside, it's turned into a political symbol of being a freedom-loving don't f with me tough guy.

Time to stop kicking the can and pretending to take gun violence seriously and DOING FUCKING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

At least try and do something, anything, meaningful. Doesn't need to be 100% perfect 100% of the time. Just show that as a nation we really care about the situation and those slaughtered. Rather than having politicians smirking knowing they can mumble a few words about mental health and call it a day. Day after day after day. Slaughter after slaughter after slaughter.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Here's an interview of the Chief Medical Officer of the Louisville hospital that's treating the wounded from the recent shooting. Sadly, the results of gun violence is something they deal with everyday. His story is pretty heart wrenching. His view, like from many others, is that it's a public health crisis.

I don't expect pro-gun people in the US will get what he has to say or even care in the slightest. Because... it's people who kill - not guns, thoughts and prayers for the slaughtered/injured and their families, mental health, blah blah blah. There are so many selfish people out there.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Here's an interview of the Chief Medical Officer of the Louisville hospital that's treating the wounded from the recent shooting. Sadly, the results of gun violence is something they deal with everyday.

I understand his position.

But on the other hand, most police officers like legal gun owners. And they are the ones facing gun violence on a daily basis at extreme personal risk.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

But on the other hand, most police officers like legal gun owners. And they are the ones facing gun violence on a daily basis at extreme personal risk.

Do they like gun owners with AR-15s and similar assault weapons?

A few SFPD cops I know believe they should be banned.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

Unless you've been in his position, I don't believe you do. Healthcare workers across this country are near or beyond the breaking point, especially after three years taking care of patients during the pandemic while being vilified for requiring or advocating for vaccines and other measures. Many medical centers are hiring additional trauma surgeons to handle the increased load, but that's treating the symptom, not the cause. And nurses are leaving the profession at unprecedented rates.

We hear the same refrains over and over: It's our Second Amendment right; it's a mental health issue; you don't understand the difference between types of guns; we have nothing to fear if the gun was acquired legally (as was the weapon used in the Louisville attack); gun reform isn't practical; background checks won't help; we need to keep our guns with us at all times... meanwhile, nothing is done and more people, especially children, are killed or injured every day.

Citizens of other first world countries with far lower rates of gun violence look at us in amazement and wonder what happened to the country that used to be a leader by example. No longer, at least in this domain. And the primary difference between us and them is availability of guns, many of which have no reasonable role in personal self-defense.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
...meanwhile, nothing is done and more people, especially children, are killed or injured every day.

And that's become an acceptable consequence of gun ownership in the minds of gun owners. Yet they will never own that.

Last edited:

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Reading this tweet is the first time I read about this shooting. That's how common place this has become. Unbelievable.

View attachment 23030
And the standard responses:

Lt. Gov. Will Ainsworth tweeted: “I ask all Alabamians to join me in lifting the Dadeville community toward the the Lord so He may shower everyone who suffered injury and loss with the strength, love, and consolation that only He can provide. ‘Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted’ Matthew 5:4″

In a statement, Sen. Tommy Tuberville said, “Heartbreaking news overnight from Dadeville. Praying this Sunday morning for all of the victims, their families, and the entire Dadeville community.”

“My heart breaks waking up to the news this morning out of Tallapoosa County,” Sen. Katie Britt tweeted. “Please join me in lifting up the victims, their loved ones, and the Dadeville community in prayer. My office will continue to monitor the situation as details emerge.”

Top Bottom
1 2