How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
This single-handedly destroys his chances to win in 2024
From loss of support, you mean? IDK, his flock is capable of astonishing mental gymnastics.

It would be grimly entertaining to watch another candidate attempt a hostile takeover of his base, using his vaccine endorsement against him.

U

User.45

From loss of support, you mean? IDK, his flock is capable of astonishing mental gymnastics.

It would be grimly entertaining to watch another candidate attempt a hostile takeover of his base, using his vaccine endorsement against him.
The Q-movement is a Stand Alone Complex*. The issue is that the movement is so heavily primed for destruction, Trump would only have control over it when it comes to inciting chaos. So semi-reasonable statements will alienate his base.

*Phenomenon where in behavior by unconnected individuals creates a seemingly concentrated effort. This behavior is copied from a previous source without an original.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Can’t you just see DeSantis doing that?

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
The Q-movement is a Stand Alone Complex*. The issue is that the movement is so heavily primed for destruction, Trump would only have control over it when it comes to inciting chaos. So semi-reasonable statements will alienate his base.

I don’t think I ever expected this term to be used in such an apt way.

These guys are way too chaotic and fringe to be compatible with mainstream political success beyond the destruction I mentioned above (like harassing Fauci).

Compatible, perhaps not. But it has had an impact on the base, with 47% of Republicans saying they weren’t likely to get vaccinated this last summer. With the sheer size of the audience this group has for their misinformation at this point, along with growing influence of media outlets willing to pass along the misinformation, politicians have to at least take it into account, which pulls the whole party towards the fringe.

Even if Trump gets abandoned by his base, I don’t think it means we’ll see the party back away from the fringe.

U

User.45

I don’t think I ever expected this term to be used in such an apt way.
It’s insane that Ghost in the shell predicted these events in a scope of 15 years.

Compatible, perhaps not. But it has had an impact on the base, with 47% of Republicans saying they weren’t likely to get vaccinated this last summer. With the sheer size of the audience this group has for their misinformation at this point, along with growing influence of media outlets willing to pass along the misinformation, politicians have to at least take it into account, which pulls the whole party towards the fringe.

Even if Trump gets abandoned by his base, I don’t think it means we’ll see the party back away from the fringe.
I don’t disagree, but without massive voter suppression, the chaos works against them for presidential elections.

———-
Long overdue, time to rethink what masks we use. I like (3-layer) cloth masks for outdoors interactions (dropping my kids off). With omicron, i guess cloth masks won’t cut it anymore when I only interact with healthy vaccinated people. For indoors crowds, N95, for indoors interactions with strangers surgical masks. And I’m sticking to the faceshield+N95 for patient care.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Talked to a former classmate this morning. She is devastated. She was supposed to have left this evening for Pakistan to visit her mother, who had been hurt in a fall. Took her PCU test this morning and it came back positive. She could not find anywhere to purchase another kit or get a test in case it was a false negative.

So yea, we are very short here in the US.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Talked to a former classmate this morning. She is devastated. She was supposed to have left this evening for Pakistan to visit her mother, who had been hurt in a fall. Took her PCU test this morning and it came back positive. She could not find anywhere to purchase another kit or get a test in case it was a false negative.

So yea, we are very short here in the US.
It's crazy out there right now and everyone seems to be scrambling again.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I read this piece the other day. Biden hasn't "lost" the Washington Post, it's one epidemiologist giving his opinion, and characterizing the administration's COVID response as failing is a bit much compared to the last government's response, which included letting an incompetent like Scott Atlas run the show.

I think the author makes valid points about more needing to be done, especially massively expanding testing, providing high quality masks, enabling global vaccination, and improving ventilation. But some of these things are far easier said than done, especially when dealing with an entire political party and media segment that refuse to help or at least stay out of the way.

As long as people continue to view this though a political lens, we will all lose.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I read this piece the other day. Biden hasn't "lost" the Washington Post, it's one epidemiologist giving his opinion, and characterizing the administration's COVID response as failing is a bit much compared to the last government's response, which included letting an incompetent like Scott Atlas run the show.

I think the author makes valid points about more needing to be done, especially massively expanding testing, providing high quality masks, enabling global vaccination, and improving ventilation. But some of these things are far easier said than done, especially when dealing with an entire political party and media segment that refuse to help or at least stay out of the way.

As long as people continue to view this though a political lens, we will all lose.
I think the initial plan was “get everybody vaccinated” but millions of people would rather take their chances. It’s a difficult problem to solve in light of that.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
LET’S GO BRANDEN!
"I agree". :eek:
Working out swimmingly, friend of yours?

The NASCAR driver who recently rose in fame after unintentionally sparking the "Let’s Go Brandon!" phrase says he’s had a hard time finding corporate sponsors following the chant going viral.

"It got extremely difficult for us. … If you’re a national corporation, that means you sell to all consumers … and unfortunately, when you get dragged into the political arena, people want you to take a side,’" Brown told Sports Business Journal in a recent interview.

Top Bottom
1 2