How many sleep with their phone?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wondering how common this is, I suspect most probably charge it next to their bed. I personally leave it out on the charger on the kitchen counter, it's deliberate as I like to tune out of my devices at bedtime. I also make an effort to carve out time away from all of it, watch, phone, TV, etc. a few times a week and pick up a book or my guitar. I hate that I'm a slave to these things.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I keep it on my nightstand, in ios 17’s nightstand mode. It makes a very good alarm clock. Screen turns black unless it senses motion, then a faint red clock is displayed. In the morning it then reminds me to take my medication, until I log it. Then i get to read all the email that piled up from my Asian colleagues while I was asleep.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I keep it on my nightstand, in ios 17’s nightstand mode. It makes a very good alarm clock. Screen turns black unless it senses motion, then a faint red clock is displayed. In the morning it then reminds me to take my medication, until I log it. Then i get to read all the email that piled up from my Asian colleagues while I was asleep.
Just reading this give me anxiety and was the main reason I couldn't retire soon enough once I was able.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I do, but my phone goes to sleep focus between 9pm to 6:30am so I don't get any sort of notifications, except texts from my kids during those hours.

I don't have an iPad and we don't keep TVs in any bedrooms, so it's either a phone or a book to wind down, and truthfully I only last about 10 minutes once I get in the bed until I'm ready for lights out, so reading a book is kind of futile.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I take my phone to bed and plug it in to charge. I keep in on silent 100% of the time, so I don't need to worry about that. I also don't have any alarms set and wake up when I wake up. So it's there, but it's also completely ignored till morning. As for unwinding and getting to sleep, I just lay down and close my eyes. I've never had issues sleeping. It's extremely rare that I'm not out in a minute or two.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My phone is on my night stand, and only there for an emergency. Or being notified if one of my outdoor cameras detects a person on our property. That's happened a few times.

As far as going to sleep... That's always listening to NPR. My radio is set to shut off after 15 minutes, and I'm always asleep before then.

08-18-2019 05-38-21 Drive, Hik 4mm 4mp minibullet.jpg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My phone is on my night stand, and only there for an emergency. Or being notified if one of my outdoor cameras detects a person on our property. That's happened a few times.

As far as going to sleep... That's always listening to NPR. My radio is set to shut off after 15 minutes, and I'm always asleep before then.

View attachment 25486
Wow man yeah that's pretty good justification lol.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wow man yeah that's pretty good justification lol.

After that particular event happened, and seeing the relatively crappy image quality at night, that motivated me to upgrade the cameras. We had just moved in and I was using 2 MP 10 year old cameras from our previous home (that defaulted to B&W when there wasn't enough light).

I now have modern low light 8 MP cameras (with illuminators) and the image quality is loads better, and in color.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I have a sort of "charging station" set up on the top of my chest of drawers, which is across the room from my bed. At night the two iPhones, the Apple Watch and the two iPads all hang out there. I don't bother with "Do Not Disturb" or Sleep Focus or whatever, not really needed. I check to see if any device needs to be plugged in and charged overnight and attend to that, otherwise they just rest on their stands during the night. I don't get notifications from any forums or social media, only incoming emails and texts.

There is an actual alarm clock on the nightstand next to the bed, which is what I use when I need to know what time it is or to set the alarm to arise at a specific time the next morning. Since I'm retired, that doesn't happen much these days.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I have a Samsung wireless charger that holds my phone at an angle.

I have an app called Alarm Clock that displays the time and looks just like an alarm clock.

So I was able to ditch my actual alarm clock.

Phone goes into DND, or whatever they want to call it now, from 11-8.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My iPhone wanders from desk to bedside. My iPad is always bedside to control my Sleep Number bed. But they both go on silent when it’s time to sleep.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
My phone's on a wireless charger next to my bed. I often used to reach for it when I awoke, which kept me up longer. But since I started sleep tracking with my watch and phone, I no longer do that.

Top Bottom
1 2