I thought border walls were bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Border walls are stupid ideas. They were then, they are now. I’m not sure Trump will make it to the primaries at this rate, but he or any candidate would be correct to point out the hypocrisy. We need encouragement for refugees to enter through legal ports of entry, more of them, a better system for admitting refugees, more patrol.

I don’t know if this is a legitimate walk back from the administration, a posturing stance to say they’re taking action on the border, or both. Or something else altogether. Either way, I still think it’s a dumb idea and I would ask the admin what they’re doing about people who will just climb over, under or go around the wall, the issues in big cities being caused by fed up southern states sending busses of immigrants, and how to end the stigma of people legally seeking safety or refuge as all being “illegal border crossers”.

A wall is a dumb man’s solution to a complex problem.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
1033AF77-9049-493B-BB9B-48D0F4A9C9DD.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
WT ever-loving F?

They just handed Trump the 2024 election on a silver platter.

(I assume ABC News is not too right-wing)
Hyperbolic much? ABC just reported it, the fact that Republicans are shitting themselves is on them. On this list of everything happening right now this is right there at the bottom, seriously man, nobody cares.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
To be fair, I myself have said in the past that I wished Trump had gotten his huge border wall, because once the wall is done, we can see it won't solve anything in the scheme of things. Then we can move on to actual solutions. At best, a wall may offer slight dips in crossing numbers in certain areas, but its a temporary solution, and an expensive and harmful one. It's 2023, ffs.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
On this list of everything happening right now this is right there at the bottom, seriously man, nobody cares.

You think the migrant crisis on at the bottom of things happening right now?

Even Democrats are getting worried and some are even publicly criticizing the administration. There ahave been as many migrant encounters since Biden took office (7.3M) as there were in the previous 14 years. That is the Trump administration, the Obama administration and the last 2 years of the Bush administration.

You can think it is not a problem, but it will be front and center as an issue in 2024 and it has been gift wrapped for the GOP.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I think Republicans made it a wedge issue in response to funding Ukraine. And make NO mistake, this is a Republican issue.

This quote is ridiculously laughable. If you want people to take you seriously, then stop saying such idiotic things...
They just handed Trump the 2024 election on a silver platter.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

It is for me. What I'm concerned about is coming very close to losing our democracy via the Jan6th insurrection and attempted coup.

And that almost half of the US voting population are STILL A-OK WITH THAT... and want the person who fomented the insurrection/attempted coup to evade justice and responsibility and become the next president of the United States.

Add in what's been happening in the House where the Rs are hell-bent on further destroying democracy (and still supporting trump, a man facing 91 felonies).

So yeah...migrants wanting to come to the United States in order to have a chance at a better life is relatively mice-nuts for me.

It's about priorities.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It is for me. What I'm concerned about is coming very close to losing our democracy via the Jan6th insurrection and attempted coup.

And that almost half of the US voting population are STILL A-OK WITH THAT... and want the person who fomented the insurrection/attempted coup to evade justice and responsibility and become the next president of the United States.

Add in what's been happening in the House where the Rs are hell-bent on further destroying democracy (and still supporting trump, a man facing 91 felonies).

So yeah...migrants wanting to come to the United States in order to have a chance at a better life is relatively mice-nuts for me.

It's about priorities.
To be fair I'm sure right wing media is grasping at straws to take attention off of their epic failures at the moment.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I think Republicans made it a wedge issue in response to funding Ukraine. And make NO mistake, this is a Republican issue.

This quote is ridiculously laughable. If you want people to take you seriously, then stop saying such idiotic things...

Ukraine? Really. This issue has been at the top of Republican priorities since Trump walked down those stairs 6 years before Ukraine.

It's my opinion. You have a different one which is fine.

But be thinking how Biden is going to counter it during a campaign.

Because that half don't believe it was an insurrection.

So , yeah...migrants wanting to come to the United States in order to have a chance at a better life is relatively mice-nuts for me.

There is a big difference between wanting to come here for a better life and what is actually happening.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Because that half don't believe it was an insurrection.

Of course, they're still under trump's spell.

Video's and 1,000+ arrests and convictions say otherwise.

There is a big difference between wanting to come here for a better life and what is actually happening.

Ok... if it's not to have a chance of a better life and to escape gangs preying on them, why are they coming to the US?

My wife's parents were strawberry farmers in Watsonville, CA. And used a lot of migrant labor. Talking to them it's about being able to work and have a shot at a better life in the US. They're damn hard workers and very reliable.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I just want to know what changed.

Biden was quoted saying "not be another foot of wall constructed [in] my administration."

And yet here we are.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Biden was quoted saying "not be another foot of wall constructed [in] my administration."

And yet here we are.
I don't understand, isn't this something your party wants? Or are you just so entrenched with hatred that it won't matter what he does.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

And yet here we are.
I doubt if many presidents, Republican or Democrat, haven't reversed course on a promise at one time or another.

Although I don't know many details regarding the up to 20 miles of wall being proposed, I tend to think walls are an ineffective solution. Democrats are dissatisfied with the status quo as much as anyone and would be eager to participate in finding a bi-partisan solution to immigration reform that addresses our moral imperative to help migrants. Unfortunately, the Republican party is too busy with baseless impeachment investigations, ousting their own Speaker, and other shenanigans to actually govern.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I don't understand, isn't this something your party wants?

It seems every Dem and LW media outlet did nothing but run the mantra that "Walls won't work, or something similar".

Why do they work now?

Did they not work simply because it is something Trump wanted? I ask because many years prior to Trump, many of these same Dems voted to build some walls (I want to say 2008-2009), but as soon as Trump wanted to build walls, they immediately became bad.

I doubt if many presidents, Republican or Democrat, haven't reversed course on a promise at one time or another.

This wasn't just a President, but pretty much the whole Dem party being against them.

Although I don't know many details regarding the up to 20 miles of wall being proposed, I tend to think walls are an ineffective solution. Democrats are dissatisfied with the status quo as much as anyone

Are they really dissatisfied or are they afraid the voters are pissed and now think they have to do something?

Let me just say that cancelling hotel rooms booked by veterans so that your hotel can house migrants is not a winning strategy. Nor is taking away the field a kid's football team uses for practice for migrants will not help their cause. You might think Abbott busing migrants around the country is a stunt, but it has made some Blue cities stand up and take notice to the point NY Governor Hochul has said that migrants need to "go elsewhere." :rolleyes:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It seems every Dem and LW media outlet did nothing but run the mantra that "Walls won't work, or something similar".

Why do they work now?
JFC, what is your malfunction? All you care about is party and sacrifice all of your positions. If Trump came out and said he was against abortion and took steps to make it more easily available he would (and should be) applauded for it by the other side.

Your partisanship is flat out embarrassing, wish you actually gave shit about the people in this country as much as you do just one-upping the other side for the sake of a talking point. Biden is working to get something done that you've been begging for at the border, and you bash him for it??? :mad:

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I understand why Herdfan is asking the question. And I believe it’s a fair one. However, I was against a wall then and I am now. If you are for a border wall, then I would be curious to see what Biden's take on all this is and if he's had a change of heart.

I would still disagree with him - I'm not for a border wall (in general. There may be select areas where some walls make sense, but not hundreds of miles of border wall). But I also understand circumstances change and people can and do change their minds. Or flip-flop. I don't know enough about all the reasons for this move other than Mayorkas statements - which, to be fair, sound a lot like the more rational arguments some republicans were making. Not Trump, but more policy-focused republicans who took the border seriously and not as a talking point.

I'm still for fixing the root causes and not putting on band-aids. A wall is not even a band-aid. Republicans are going to win the battle on immigration if democrats don't start putting together a comprehensive solution. Using the republican solution from nearly 8 years ago - a wall - will empower republicans and not offering alternative solutions and plans for all the immigrants coming in will be a great point for republicans to make. "All Biden did was bash Trump's immigration policy and then copy it".

*I just heard Biden comment on NBC News. He said he doesn’t think border walls work and that this is being done because the money was appropriated for it and they can’t change it despite having tried. But that’s not what Mayorkas said… Democrat governors and mayors are clearly in need of assistance due to bussing and already high but established levels of immigration, and democrats are clearly figuring this out as they go.

Biden has clapbacks on the economy, he’s done fine there. He needs to get busy on immigration because that is the weak spot. Not the economy, not Ukraine, not the Afghanistan withdrawal.

I also think this problem was not as big as was being made when Trump ran, but it has grown into exactly what they claim. If they said “Well. we were looking at what was happening and sounding the alarm”, there’s no way to prove them wrong. So the time for debating walls won’t work now, time to offer a solution or republicans will offer their own and you won’t be able to blame voters who think immigration is the most pressing issue for looking at other options than Biden.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I understand why Herdfan is asking the question. And I believe it’s a fair one. However, I was against a wall then and I am now. If you are for a border wall, then I would be curious to see what Biden's take on all this is and if he's had a change of heart.

I would still disagree with him - I'm not for a border wall (in general. There may be select areas where some walls make sense, but not hundreds of miles of border wall). But I also understand circumstances change and people can and do change their minds. Or flip-flop. I don't know enough about all the reasons for this move other than Mayorkas statements - which, to be fair, sound a lot like the more rational arguments some republicans were making. Not Trump, but more policy-focused republicans who took the border seriously and not as a talking point.

I'm still for fixing the root causes and not putting on band-aids. A wall is not even a band-aid. Republicans are going to win the battle on immigration if democrats don't start putting together a comprehensive solution. Using the republican solution from nearly 8 years ago - a wall - will empower republicans and not offering alternative solutions and plans for all the immigrants coming in will be a great point for republicans to make. "All Biden did was bash Trump's immigration policy and then copy it".

*I just heard Biden comment on NBC News. He said he doesn’t think border walls work and that this is being done because the money was appropriated for it and they can’t change it despite having tried. But that’s not what Mayorkas said… Democrat governors and mayors are clearly in need of assistance due to bussing and already high but established levels of immigration, and democrats are clearly figuring this out as they go.

Biden has clapbacks on the economy, he’s done fine there. He needs to get busy on immigration because that is the weak spot. Not the economy, not Ukraine, not the Afghanistan withdrawal.

I also think this problem was not as big as was being made when Trump ran, but it has grown into exactly what they claim. If they said “Well. we were looking at what was happening and sounding the alarm”, there’s no way to prove them wrong. So the time for debating walls won’t work now, time to offer a solution or republicans will offer their own and you won’t be able to blame voters who think immigration is the most pressing issue for looking at other options than Biden.
I'll never understand outrage over someone finally taking a position you support. This is something Conservatives have been screaming for, why TF aren't they praising Biden instead of bashing him? I find it flat out fucking infuriating.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I'll never understand outrage over someone finally taking a position you support. This is something Conservatives have been screaming for, why TF aren't they praising Biden instead of bashing him? I find it flat out fucking infuriating.

Oh, I agree with that sentiment too. It just doesn’t even enter my mind as a possibility republicans at large will ever give Biden credit, even as their Republican reps go to ribbon-cutting ceremonies made possible by democrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
1 2